Sign in to follow this  
charleypetersen

homescreen designing

hi there

i am thinking of having a go at designing homescreens and wandered if there are any free trials or freeware design software out there that i could try out. also if anyone has any good tips or knows any good sites for info about this would appreciate it

many thanks

The best way to do a homescreen is XML. This can be done on Notepad. Downlaod an XML from this site and open it up in Notepad... With a bit of logic you can work out what each thing does.

There are sites out there that explain in greater detial but cant seem to find them at the moment :?:

Dont you hate it when you cant find sites when you want them and accidentally stumble across them when you dont need them no more !?

The only free option and really the best option is to create and edit your homescreens with you favorite text and graphics editor. I use SciTE & the GIMP, but you can use any you prefer. Then it is just a matter of learning how to manipulate you plugins of choice. Check out homescreens that you like and mess around with them and you will start to get a feel for it. Also a good starting point for the basics and some discriptions of the Standard Microsoft plugins is MSDN: Customizing the Microsoft Smartphone 2002 Home Screen.

so, related to this - is there a faster way to refresh it when you copy your xml file over?

i've been going to settings->home screen and switching to a different one, then switching back, then returning to the homescreen.

somethat would force the home app to refresh it's settings would be wunderbar! ;)

For reloading new versions of your homescreen xml, the simplest way I've found is using the Reload action on the Facade Launcher. Facade is still beta, but already one of the best plugins out there. The reload action just automates switching the color scheme from the default and then back again, which forces the phone to reload the homescreen.

try ruttten soft .. not sure of the link just do a google  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ive just noticed the c550 in the picture on your message has a black casing on it. are these available any where? ar they hard to fit?

Theres a member on this forum under the name of Fluffcat1 who sells spare cases for the C550. So you can spray the spare case black and put it on. Or you could simply remove the fascia, the ariel cover and the battery cover and spray them black and put them back on.

If you go to the specific topic for the HTC Hurricane (SPV C550) then there is a guide there on removing the parts on the C550. However there is no need to remove the full fascia of the phone as the silver casing on the front can easily come off with the hand of a sharp knife... careful not t bend the casing though. Same aplies for the silver above the camera.