TotW: C550 Date Folder Tweak

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

TotW: C550 Date Folder Tweak

The C550 Smartphone camera program has a 'date folder' feature. Unfortunately, there is no way to toggle (enable-disable) this feature from within the camera program user interface. With date folder enabled, photos are sorted out based on date they were taken. Photos are automatically saved into folders like 05102600001 etc inside \Storage\My Documents\My Photos.

Target device: C550

To appreciate this tweak, observe carefully this photo attachment. The one pointed by the arrow is a date folder. This is a pre-tweaked phone.

post-12251-1130297142_thumb.jpg

I personally don't want these folders pile up my phone. I'd rather have all my photos dumped into 'My Photos' folder than have it on separate date folders. I find it annoying especially when browsing for pictures via a file explorer program. So with C550 Date Folder Tweak, bye bye date folders!

Now, compare the photo above with this attachment. Photos are now dumped directly into 'My Photos' folder without creating separate date folders.

post-12251-1130297289_thumb.jpg

Looks good? Let's do the tweaking!

Requirements:

1. Registry editor

2. Application-unlocked C550 (or equivalent)

Procedures:

1. Close Camera and Album program.

2. Open registry editor then point to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\Camera\Captparam\EnableDateFolder

3. Modify the DWORD Data from 1 to 0

post-12251-1130355509_thumb.jpg

4. Exit registry editor program.

Test your tweak

Take photos then preview/browse them using your favorite file explorer program. Open \Storage\My documents\My Photos. You should be able to see your pix inside (not on a subfolder)

For those of you who are not into this tweaking thrill, you may just install this cab file on an application-unlocked C550:

C550.DateFolder.Tweak.CAB

Comments welcome but please be kind as this is my first post. ;)

nice tweak there ;)

A question, which has bothered me a long time...how do you (or anyone else who do reg DB tweaks) how do you know what all the values stands for in the REG DB....I mean it is not so that all the values or "names" are straight forward, so how do you know what is what and what they are for? (sorry if this is out of topic)

Guest chucky.egg

Excellent first post there pz... er, gpcarreon! ;)

I'd hoped this would work on my M500, but sadly not.

There is a Camera update around somewhere that I keep meaning to try, but I'm not sure how legit it is so I've avoided it in the hope that a reg tweak would come out.

Don't suppose you have an M500 you could tweak for?

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

@spider

Thanks.

I'll go with awarner. I do it mostly by trial and error especially with the self-explanatory values. If I get really bad error causing my phone to go berzerk, then I don't post it here. If the opposite happens, I share them with the community as a tweak. ;)

@chucky

Thanks.

Sad. I don't have an M500 with me. :D

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Guys by the way, I have only tried this on a C550 but theoretically it should work on C550 variants running Camera program for HTC. If you see HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\Camera\Captparam\EnableDateFolder on your phone's registry, you know what to do. ;)

yep a great tweak ;)

only problem i had was when you have over a 100 photos it took over 5 minutes to open the album, i did a test with only photos and it does take a few seconds more to open the album , maybe the album application looks for date folders first

Guest ruthless

Thanks gbcarreon, I've had my c550 for 2 weeks now and up until now that was the only annoying thing that I'd found with it.

Cheers for resolving it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest walktohere
Thanks gbcarreon, I've had my c550 for 2 weeks now and up until now that was the only annoying thing that I'd found with it.

Cheers for resolving it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WHERE YOU GET REG EDIT PROG FOR C550

Guest charleypetersen
WHERE YOU GET REG EDIT PROG FOR C550

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

first thanks for the tweak :) . very useful! as for your reg edit program you can get one here in the downloads section or atcoolsmartphone.com in their downloads section.

good luck!