eTrust Antivirus annoyance on SP5

Guest Kinch

Guest roma0803

No, that is not good. I don't know if it's an i-mate thing or if it will be different with a Qtek. It might even be a WM5 thing.

You can keep your ringtones in the "My Documents" folder on your card, so they won't use any phone memory.

I dont have the memory problem (well it doesnt tell me i have) and my settings are thus :

NAME:

O2 MMSC

MMSC URL :

http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002

WAP Gateway

Port

Connect Via

WAP Network

Max Sending Size

WAP Version

WAP 1.2

And it still doenst work. It connects to GPS for a bit, then disconnects and after about 30 secs says :

Unable to send your message(s). Your message(s) will remain in the Outbox

Edited by Kinch

Guest shadamehr
This is an address with a portnumber (8002)

And here you specify the port.

My guess would be to take away the portnumber from the address and/or change the port 9201 to 8002, but not this way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's the one I changed yes - uppercase O to lowercase o.

Is there ANYONE on here with an SP5, that can receive MMS with less than 3.5MB of free memory?

Also, does anyone know how I increase my available free memory, as out of the box, with just a contacts and diary sync, my phone has not a lot of memory free.

Guest roma0803
Is there ANYONE on here with an SP5, that can receive MMS with less than 3.5MB of free memory?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, not me.

Also, does anyone know how I increase my available free memory, as out of the box, with just a contacts and diary sync, my phone has not a lot of memory free.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Besides MMS, you don't need that much memory. Install software on the storage card and only the software that makes use of AS on the phone. Databases take most of the space, if possible by the program, put them on your storage card too.

If you synchronize between two Outlook calendars, sync all the first time (with both calendars) and then put the setting to 6 months. This way both calendars will have the whole history, but the phone only carries the last 6 months and all future appointments. his way the 'pim.vol' in your phone will keep a reduced size so more memory is available.

I believe the minimal available memory for MMS should be 4MB (as I tried).

Can someone do me a favour (preferably if youre on O2)

Can you give me a list of your settings please.

I need them for :

START > SETTINGS > CONNECTIONS > GPRS > O2 Internet

START > SETTINGS > CONNECTIONS > GPRS > O2 MMS

START > SETTINGS > CONNECTIONS > GPRS > O2 WAP

START > MESSAGING > MMS > MENU > OPTIONS > ACCOUNT OPTIONS > MMS > MENU > MMSC SETTINGS > O2 MMSC

Just so i can check i got them all spot on. Then i can see if i can send and recveive, as i dont get the memory error that is spoken of.

Cheers

Guest shadamehr

Kinch, re-download the O2 UK CONTRACT cab file (assuming you ARE a contract user), form the I-mate website.

Use ActiveSync to copy to the phone, then use File Manager on the phone to run it, and install the settings.

Then do a reboot.

Then go into the MMS settings in the manner described by me on page 1 or 2 of this thread.

YOu should then find an url address for the O2 MMSC centre, as mentioned by other users on here.

If you notice it, you should see that the letter O in the address is in uppercase.

Change this to lowercase o (make sure you don't use zero 0 instead).

Save this etc.

Then reboot the phone.

Then try sending an MMS to yourself.

Provided you have over 4MB of room free on the phone (what the hell is the story with that by the way - 4MB for pete's sake), then you should be able to receive it, and the signal bar should cahnge to with a little g on it, as it downloads.

Another piece of advice... Once a gprs connection is made by the phjone, it doesn't auto disconnect it seems. I always worry that other stuff is going on behind the scenes when it is connected, so I turn it off - just clikc the red hang up button to disconnect gprs once you receive an MMS etc.

Try this and let us know.

It works for me now - I just find that needing more than 4MB to receive a 12 KILObyte MMS is absolutely rediculous - I cant remember my C500 ever having this issue?

Guest chrisc28

shadamehr, I can't solve your MMS problem as I'm not aware of UK network settings and I do not use MMS much (it's too expensive here).

I suppose there might be a registry key you can change or add that forces MMS's to be saved on the storage card instead of phone memory?

I have already warned about the **** Arcsoft MMS client before. It is a pain in the ***.

Guest shadamehr

Don't sweat it mate - I've just realised that in as much as I can now receive (IF I ALLOW MORE THAN 4MB ROOM FREE), MMS messages that I send from the phone are still not arriving at their destination...

I give up...

Guest Pondrew
I dont have the memory problem (well it doesnt tell me i have) and my settings are thus :

NAME:

O2 MMSC

MMSC URL :

http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002

WAP Gateway

Port

Connect Via

WAP Network

Max Sending Size

WAP Version

WAP 1.2

And it still doenst work. It connects to GPS for a bit, then disconnects and after about 30 secs says :

Unable to send your message(s). Your message(s) will remain in the Outbox

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Somehow this looks wrong. Why are you connecting via the WAP Network? Every device I've ever used had to connect via MMS Network the settings of which have to be entered in Data Connections under GPRS Connections.

Does the following help? Just took them from the MoDaCo settings repository...

GPRS MMS service

Access Point: wap.o2.co.uk

Username: o2wap

Password: password

IP address: 193.113.200.195

Mmsc Address: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002

Use these settings in the newly created MMS Network (created in Data Connections under GPRS Connections) then use connect via MMS Network

Guest shadamehr

Kinch, Pondrew...

I experimented with these this morning as they didn't seem to make sense to me either as my son's C500 is set to connect via "The Internet".

Belive it or not though, but the ONLY one that would work is as it already stood "Wap Network"

Weird or waht.

i am now finding that I can receive, and 'most' of the time sent ones from the SP5 arrive at destination phones now, but not all.

It's so hit and miss.

But Pondrew, what really gets me is this - needing 4MB of free space available, to send or receive a tiny 12KB MMS...?

Surely that's not right - other MS SmartPhones don't need this, do they???

Why are you connecting via the WAP Network?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Coz thats what it says in the O2 MMSC settings. Can only connect to WAP network, Secure WAP network, Work or The internet.

No place to change it to MMS.

I dont know if you have an SP5, but there are alot of things in the MoDaCo settings repository that cant be put into the phone. There is a place for Primary DNS, but nowhere mentions of it.

THats why i asked for a list of the settings for the SP5, to make sure i had them all set up correctly.

Anyway.

I GIVE UP.

Guest Pondrew
But Pondrew, what really gets me is this - needing 4MB of free space available, to send or receive a tiny 12KB MMS...?

Surely that's not right - other MS SmartPhones don't need this, do they???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not that I've noticed :shock:

Guest shadamehr
Not that I've noticed  :shock:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right...

It must have cost me a fortune, but I have managed to 100% verify, that for me, as soon as I fill the phone up past the point that there is less than 4MB free space (NOT RAM - I have LOADS of that), remaining, the phone will no longer download MMS messages - you get an error of low free memory instead.

I know of no other Windows SmartPhone either that does this.

So does this mean it could be a bug in the OS, or is it a crap feature now, of WM5.0?

Whichever, its more than enough to make me want to send my phone back under the circumstances...

If I can't use it... why use it...?

Oh man. Please, I'm not just moaining - how can I swap my current phone for this new fangled WM5.0 smartphone, if I cant send and receive MMS...?

Come to think of it, how come my phone is so low of free storage space out of the box too? That's another poor feature as well. Darn.

Guest roma0803

I need to connect in the MMCS settings by (via) "work". In connections I defined a GPRS connection that connects to work. It's all a bit different than in WM2003, have you checked the O2 site for settings instead of using the i-mate settings sent to you?

How come you get below the 4MB? What file or program is using most?

Guest shadamehr
I need to connect in the MMCS settings by (via) "work". In connections I defined a GPRS connection that connects to work. It's all a bit different than in WM2003, have you checked the O2 site for settings instead of using the i-mate settings sent to you?

How come you get below the 4MB? What file or program is using most?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Roma...

Phone is new... All it has on is what was on out of the box... I have REMOVED antivirus.

I add about 6 ringtones that weigh in at between 500K to 800K each.

I have my contacts and calendar sync'ed, and the pim.vol file is a fairly large 800K I admit (my old c500 mail vol file was 3MB though!)

And with that scenario, I have less than 4MB free STORAGE, but well over 22MB free RAM.

How can I have that from a phone a day old, with no programs added, one program removed, and jsut diary, contacts, and a few ringtones on.

Thats terrible.

Guest roma0803

Sounds to me there is a file somewhere in the phone that's eating memory. My pim.vol is over 3.5MB and I have antivirus as well as at least 2 other programs installed on the phone. Also a couple of HS plugins and have about 5.5MB of memory available.

My pim.vol was almost 9MB before, but appointments as far back as 1999 were synced into the phone.

I would suggest a hard reset since this might be a problem you can't solve at this time. And since MMS is not working, it might be a good time for some stronger actions.

Edit:

Just for comparison, I have 11 programs and 3 plugins installed on the phone (mostly on storage card, some on the phone). About 260 contacts and a 6+ months of appointments. I can send and receive MMS without problem. I agree though this shouldn't be an issue as it never was with WM2003.

Edited by roma0803

As above,

If someone could post their settings for the following i can test the memory thing

START > SETTINGS > CONNECTIONS > GPRS > O2 Internet

START > SETTINGS > CONNECTIONS > GPRS > O2 MMS

START > SETTINGS > CONNECTIONS > GPRS > O2 WAP

START > MESSAGING > MMS > MENU > OPTIONS > ACCOUNT OPTIONS > MMS > MENU > MMSC SETTINGS > O2 MMSC

;)

Guest shadamehr
Sounds to me there is a file somewhere in the phone that's eating memory. My pim.vol is over 3.5MB and I have antivirus as well as at least 2 other programs installed on the phone. Also a couple of HS plugins and have about 5.5MB of memory available.

My pim.vol was almost 9MB before, but appointments as far back as 1999 were synced into the phone.

I would suggest a hard reset since this might be a problem you can't solve at this time. And since MMS is not working, it might be a good time for some stronger actions.

Edit:

Just for comparison, I have 11 programs and 3 plugins installed on the phone (mostly on storage card, some on the phone). About 260 contacts and a 6+ months of appointments. I can send and receive MMS without problem. I agree though this shouldn't be an issue as it never was with WM2003.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi again Roma - thanks for that, some good suggestions there.

I wonder if it is to do with how the memory is being 'dynamically balanced' i.e. like I said earlier, I DO have nearly a whopping 24MB free, but this is for RAM, not storage. Is the phone not meant to 'load balance' so that if the storage is low, yet their is oodles of RAM free, it balnces out a bit?

I am gonna try a hard reset maybe I think. BUt notwithstanding that, I think we have clearly issued a major fundemental flaw or bug with the phone, in that as soon as the phone has less than 4MB free storage, MMS will no longer work.

That's not the way of things with all previous SmartPhones.

Why is it alway ME that finds these major flaws with nice new handsets.

Damn.

Guest shadamehr

Well, a Hard Reset, managed to free up a fair bit more.

Now, with my contacts and diary on, and my ringtones added etc, I have over 9MB Free, as opposed to less than 4MB before.

The antivirus is gone though, which I had removed anyhow, but I have lost the i-mate jpeg wallpaper file that I believe used to reside in the Apllication Data > Home directory, if not the normal pictures one.

Can anyone send me this please (post it here)???

Guest UniqueTouch
Hi again Roma - thanks for that, some good suggestions there.

I wonder if it is to do with how the memory is being 'dynamically balanced'  i.e. like I said earlier, I DO have nearly a whopping 24MB free, but this is for RAM, not storage.  Is the phone not meant to 'load balance' so that if the storage is low, yet their is oodles of RAM free, it balnces out a bit?

I am gonna try a hard reset maybe I think.  BUt notwithstanding that, I think we have clearly issued a major fundemental flaw or bug with the phone, in that as soon as the phone has less than 4MB free storage, MMS will no longer work.

That's not the way of things with all previous SmartPhones.

Why is it alway ME that finds these major flaws with nice new handsets.

Damn.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

shadamehr, just to let you know that I am experiencing the same "not enough memory" message as you when trying to send an MMS.

I too only 2.4mb mem left but have 24mb ram free.

I am on O2 and I installed the cab file from imate's site.

;)

Guest shadamehr
shadamehr, just to let you know that I am experiencing the same "not enough memory" message as you when trying to send an MMS.

I too only 2.4mb mem left but have 24mb ram free.

I am on O2 and I installed the cab file from imate's site.

;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I am sorry I can't help you more other than suggest a Hard Reset which is what I had to do (but if you only have 2.4MB now, a Hard Reset, by my rough calculations would leave you with 7MB or more, with the relevant stuff re-added).

But I can THANK you for letting me know you are suffering this too.

As this now means you are the FIFTH confirmed person to suffer this issue.

Just to confirm it then people, unless anyone wants to tell me any different, which I doubt...

"The new i-mate SP5 cannot send or receive MMS messages if you have less than 4MB free storage space, irrespective of how much free RAM you have.

This is a serious issue, and a major bug or shortcoming with the handset, compared to all previous MS SmartPhones."

(That's my own quote by the way, but the facts as they stand seem correct. Crap or what?

And Unique Touch...

Can you post your i-mate jpeg file here please, as I lost mine - it is in either the Application Data > Home directory, or in the normal pictures folder.

Either post it here, or email to:

sp5 shadamehr.com

No spaces, and replacing the relevant parts with correct symbols.

Edited by shadamehr