eTrust Antivirus annoyance on SP5

Guest Kinch

Guest UniqueTouch

Hi Shadamehr,

Thanks for the info - I am just moving stuff around now and will let you know if I am able to send mms.

In the mean time, here are the 2 imate pics I could find on the phone...

SP5.bmp found in \Windows

Splash.bmp found in \Storage Card\Application Data\Home

Let me know if you need anything else...

P.s. I replaced sp5.bmp on my device with my image and this changed the shutdown screen...do you know which file controls the startup one as that it still showing an imate one. Thnaks.

SP5.bmp

Splash.bmp

Guest shadamehr
Hi Shadamehr,

Thanks for the info - I am just moving stuff around now and will let you know if I am able to send mms.

In the mean time, here are the 2 imate pics I could find on the phone...

SP5.bmp found in \Windows

Splash.bmp found in \Storage Card\Application Data\Home

Let me know if you need anything else...

P.s. I replaced sp5.bmp on my device with my image and this changed the shutdown screen...do you know which file controls the startup one as that it still showing an imate one. Thnaks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hiya mate.

Those images are the Boot up/down images.

What I am trying to find is the wallpaper background used on the default homescreen, that is light coloured, has leafs on the bottom, with the word i-mate through it - as used by the default i-mate homescreen.

I had backed up the homescreen xhtml code file, but not the actual i-mate image it uses.

As to your question, you can alter the registry (at least you could on previous smartphones) to point to a different photo to use at startup shutdown, but of the 'four' images used (two on boot up, two on shut down, the first image on boot up is hard coded into the rom and couldn't be altered, so I expect this is still the same on the SP5.

Guest UniqueTouch

Sorry my bad, I've attached the correct one now for you.

Do you know which regkeys need ammending for the bootscreens? Do you have a link to a guide?

Forgot to mention, MMS sends and recieves fine now that I have 5.10mb free.

Surely this can't be right!!!

Many thanks

post-155902-1130975521_thumb.jpg

Edited by UniqueTouch

Guest shadamehr
Sorry my bad, I've attached the correct one now for you.

Do you know which regkeys need ammending for the bootscreens? Do you have a link to a guide?

Forgot to mention, MMS sends and recieves fine now that I have 5.10mb free.

Surely this can't be right!!!

Many thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi mate - that's the one, thanks.

Alas, I'm sorry I can't help you with the reg keys, as they way I USED to do it in the dim and distant, was using the Longhorn SPV pro theme, for the C500, which happened to include the mmm, what did they call it, er, the SmartTweak, yes thats it, that added the images you wanted to use, to a user directory, and patched the registry automagically.

Then all I used to do was add my OWN images to this new user folder, with the respective names... and voila - quick and easy way to change boot screens.

What I am hinting at here, is that all this was on the C500, and WM2003SE, and smaller screens. Being just one day into my new, and problematic so far SP5, I have no idea what old world stuff will work for it mate.

As for the "needs more than 4MB to receive and send MMS" issue.... yeah, its absolutely CRAZY stupid isn't it, but your confirmation makes you user number SIX to experience this.

How SMART is a SmartPhone that needs at least 4 MEG free space, to receive a 8 KILO byte MMS...

Answers on a postcard please...

Bugger,

I wish i had the memory problem now, as it seems if you get rid of that MMS works.

I cant get it to work at all and i dont get teh NOT ENOUGH MEMORY error, just one saying it cant be sent.

I ha phoned O2 and my account is set up to send/receive them

I am however looking on the bright side.

I would just be sending photos to my mates and that saves me 25p a pop for what is just an add-on and not really needed. ;)

Guest UniqueTouch
Bugger,

I wish i had the memory problem now, as it seems if you get rid of that MMS works.

I cant get it to work at all and i dont get teh NOT ENOUGH MEMORY error, just one saying it cant be sent.

I ha phoned O2 and my account is set up to send/receive them

I am however looking on the bright side.

I would just be sending photos to my mates and that saves me 25p a pop for what is just an add-on and not really needed.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kinch,

I had the same problem..,you need to change the following in MMSC account settings

to: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002

Changed O2 to o2 (small o) as per Shahamehr's posts.

I did that then rebooted the phone and can noe send/recieve ok. The file I sent myself was 26k.

Kinch,

I had the same problem..,you need to change the following in MMSC account settings

to: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002

Changed O2 to o2 (small o) as per Shahamehr's posts.

I did that then rebooted the phone and can noe send/recieve ok. The file I sent myself was 26k.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, done that, firsth thing i did, still didnt work.

Wondered if had anything to do with the other GPRS settings (in connections)

Guest roma0803
Well, a Hard Reset, managed to free up a fair bit more.

Now, with my contacts and diary on, and my ringtones added etc, I have over 9MB Free, as opposed to less than 4MB before.

The antivirus is gone though, which I had removed anyhow, but I have lost the i-mate jpeg wallpaper file that I believe used to reside in the Apllication Data > Home directory, if not the normal pictures one.

Can anyone send me this please (post it here)???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glad that solved the issue (for now?). Btw. at the i-mate site you can download (after registration) the original ROM as well as the softwarepackage that has, besides the antivirus program, also the bootscreens and homescreens and themes in it.

I'm now using my phone for about two weeks without any issue concerning memory or MMS.

Guest shadamehr

Well, it's time for crunch decisions for me folks.

The phone is not bad at all, but the 4MB free for MMS issue is gonna cause me allsorts of problems in the future methinks.

To that end, can someone tell me what you can put on the Memory Card - can I put both ringtones on their, as well as pictures to use as caller display pics - if not the 4MB issue is gonna cripple me straight away.

I really need to decide what to do, as this is a new phone on a full new contract to subsidise it... But yet I have TWO Orange accounts that are overdue an upgrade, so could get the C600 without wi-fi, for free to £75 no doubt.

So the genuine question is... Does the SP5 with its wi-fi, have SUFFICIENT going for it, that it justifies getting that on a new contract, as opposed to the lesser C600, but without needing a new contract...?

That's a quandary for me.

I know the C600 has no wi-fi... but is that the only difference? or is the screen poorer quality on the C600 etc?

Mmmm - what should I do folks? Keep the SP5 on its new contract, or send it back for the 4MB issue, and get a C600 just on upgrade?

And can the C600 be SIM unlocked so I can even use it on O2???

Any advice?

Edited by shadamehr

Guest roma0803

My advice: Keep It.

I love this phone. True, the 4MB issue might be troubeling, but I have no problem whatsoever with it anymore. Besides software that makes use of ActiveSync, you can put everything on the storagecard. Install all programs on storagecard, put ringtones in a My Documents folder on the storage card, put caller-id pictures on the storage card, put MP3 music on the storage card, everything can go there. If you ever have to do a hard reset, install the programs again on the storage card and for most the settings are imported straight away from the previous installation.

I use my Outlook calendar with appointments over the past 6 months and all future appointments, have a small 300 contacts and make extensive use of notes that I sync with SmartphoneNotes. My pim.vol stays small enough and I can send and receive MMS as much as I like.

Keep it, it's a great phone. More software becomes available. WiFi is a nice addition and may become even nicer as software to make better use of it becomes available. Sound is good, battery is decent, get yourself a Mini SD-card and be the man ;)

Guest shadamehr
My advice: Keep It.

I love this phone. True, the 4MB issue might be troubeling, but I have no problem whatsoever with it anymore. Besides software that makes use of ActiveSync, you can put everything on the storagecard. Install all programs on storagecard, put ringtones in a My Documents folder on the storage card, put caller-id pictures on the storage card, put MP3 music on the storage card, everything can go there.

Keep it, it's a great phone. More software becomes available. WiFi is a nice addition and may become even nicer as software to make better use of it becomes available. Sound is good, battery is decent, get yourself a Mini SD-card and be the man ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Roma, you've sold me...

Now I can work on getting me final star next to me name when I hit a thousand posts *lol*

I made 4 and 5 stars in no time at all back in the days of me old E200, then went quiet after I moved away from my C500 phone.

Here's to another thousand or more posts.

What was worrying me was wallpaper, ringtones and caller id's SPECIFICALLY needing to be on the PHONE memory to work. If this it NOT the case, then a 1GB mini-sd will make me a happy man then, it seems! cool indeed!

Cheers mate.

Now all it needs somewhere down the line, is an update so that the phone can join a Home Network Workgroup as a browsable device, in a true wi-fi manner, now that would be handy indeed.

Cheers mate - you've sold me.

Might use one of the Orange upgrades I have for a C600 anyhow for the son... If I feel kind enough *lol*

Postscript:

Should I get the unbranded but HIGH speed 1GB mini-sd card Moby Memory do with a free card reader for £58, or the branded Sandisk 1GB one that isn't listed as high speed, for £48 with free card reader??? :

http://www.mobymemory.com/miniSD_Memory_Cards.asp

Guest roma0803

Ok shadamehr, and don't come after me if the phone does dissapoint you in the end, though I wouldn't know how yet ;)

One remark, wallpapers do need to go on to the phone, but that's the only thing of those mentioned. Should not become a problem. Have about 5 extra or modified homescreens installed on my phone and still can send MMS :D

As for the card, I've got me the SandDisk and my phone runs fine. Do not have the feeling the card is slowing it down or so.

Edit:

SanDisk does offer 60 months warrantee...

Edited by roma0803

Guest shadamehr
One remark, wallpapers do need to go on to the phone, but that's the only thing of those mentioned. Should not become a problem. Have about 5 extra or modified homescreens installed on my phone and still can send MMS ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right Roma,

I've borrowed the mini-SD out of my son's C500, and put it in my SP5.

I put the ringtones on the Storage Card in a sub folder to My Docs called Sounds, and alas no good, but sure enough, as you say, put them in the My Docs folder itself, and they work fine! No delay in starting to ring or anything that I can tell either - cool.

Same with display pics, but as you can 'browse' to the folder you want to use when setting them, you CAN put these in specific Sub folders on the Storage Card.

BUT...

I moved one of my background wallpapers onto the Storage Card, into the Storage Card\My Documents Folder, and I COULD set this as a background in Settings > Home Screen.

I rebooted, and unlike the bug on the C500 where walls set stored on the phone don't survive a reboot, on the SP5 my wallpaper was there fine.

So are sure they dont work?

Bang a couple of suitable images on the storage car, in the My Docs folder, use the settings to change your wallpaper background, and see if it lists them as available.

If it does, set it, reboot, and see if it still shows it - it did for me.

And in that case, then EVERYTHING I could want (short of say a reg hack for the mail folders to mini-sd), can be kept on the Storage Card - EXCELLENT!

Guest shadamehr

Right - I'm starting to get into this now - cool! Things looking a bit better, cheers Roma.

Kinch - I can only re-iterate what I have said earlier - you can try many things to get this to work, but of you want to do it exact, you have to follow what I did, as it sounds like you have now amended another setting?

Backup anything vital that you need, then run Clear Storage, to do a Full Hard Reset of the Phone.

This will remove the Antivirus app, the imate wallpaper too. Let me know if you want the wallpaper and xhtml code and i can post it here.

Then download and install the O2 Uk contract settings cab from the imate site.

Go into it, and carefully change the MMSC url to a lowercase letter o.

reboot the phone, and assuming you have more than 4MB free, which you should by then, try sending and receiving MMS...

Give it a go mate, nothing to lose...

Right - I'm starting to get into this now - cool! Things looking a bit better, cheers Roma.

Kinch - I can only re-iterate what I have said earlier - you can try many things to get this to work, but of you want to do it exact, you have to follow what I did, as it sounds like you have now amended another setting?

Backup anything vital that you need, then run Clear Storage, to do a Full Hard Reset of the Phone.

This will remove the Antivirus app, the imate wallpaper too.  Let me know if you want the wallpaper and xhtml code and i can post it here.

Then download and install the O2 Uk contract settings cab from the imate site.

Go into it, and carefully change the MMSC url to a lowercase letter o.

reboot the phone, and assuming you have more than 4MB free, which you should by then, try sending and receiving MMS...

Give it a go mate, nothing to lose...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Will try it tonight i think. I dont need the wallpaper or teh antivirus, so like you said, i got nothing to lose.

How do i do a hard-reset? just by running the ClearStorage?

Edited by Kinch

Guest UniqueTouch

shadamehr and roma - thanks guys for the great tips.

I have now done the same and have 6.45mb (still have eTrust installed and 3 homescreens)

Sending/Recieving MMS is ok if I use a standard pic that was in the phone (waterfall etc).

If I try and mms a photo that I took with camera I get the error that message could not be sent. Files are around 130kb. I tried amedning send limit to 250k but still same.

Any chance you could aswell from your end?

Many thanks

Just done a hard reset, and loaded the .cab file from i-mate website, then rebooted, nothing more nothing less .....

and tried to send an MMS ......

still dont work. Oh well.

Edited by Kinch

Guest UniqueTouch
Just done a hard reset, and loaded the .cab file from i-mate website, then rebooted, nothing more nothing less  .....

and tried to send an MMS ......

still dont work. Oh well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

try sending a small file (one of the standard pics).

you could be having same problem as me when sending large pictures.

Guest shadamehr
Have you done that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly the bit I was going to remind him Roma.

You DID change the letter O to letter o didn't you Kinch mate.

Also, for the lot of you on about the MMS sending thing, if you managed to send a 150KB MMS, good for you.

But I have no idea how if you are in the UK, 'cos ALL UK Operator MMS limits are still currently set at 100KB, with a 300KB limit being talked about but still not introduced.

It's the reason Nokia so often have to do quick Firmware updates to their phones, cos they bring it out, set to scale down images above 300KB.

So 250KB images taken on Nokias don't get scaled down, and thus can't be sent because they are over the 100KB limit for all current UK nets...

The 6230i and the 6680 had to very quickly get new firmware to re-set the limit back to 100KB for scaling down.

So from our SmartPhone point of view, I spotted these settings once in the phone, but can't find them again, but the long and short of it is that to send correctly, the file needs to be less than 100KB in total, with sender overheads etc included. SOMEWHERE in the phone is a setting for what file size photos should be scaled to etc, but I can't find where it is again now *lol*

Hope this helps guys! This is a Network limit, nothing to do with the SP5 etc.

Guest shadamehr

Further to my last, there is a setting in the Messaging Settings for MMS that lets you choose the sending image RESOLUTION... whether to send at 160x120, 320x240, 640x480, or 'Original Resolution'

Before I hard reset my phone, I had discovered somewhere on the phone where this was controlled by File SIZE, not by resolution...

I can't bloomin' find this now... but as a stop gap, the Resolution one will work, changing it to 320x240 or lower.

Not sure how this effects vidoe though - I wonder if THAT'S where I saw these settings... Mmm...

Guest shadamehr

Kinch,

You got me beat then mate - I just don't get it...

It works for me on O2 Contract but not you for whatever reason.

I just dont get it.

And you can definately send and receive MMS using your SIM in another phone?