WM05/i-mate still have this annoying bug..

Guest team_edition

Guest team_edition

Having spent 6 months with an SP3i I've just upgrade to the SP5m and one of the things (apart from the wireless etc.) I was most looking forward to testing was whether they'd fixed the very minor but highly annoying bug or undocumented feature ;)

Am I the only person who finds this so annoying?

Here goes. You switch your phone on in the dark (such as early in the morning when you wake up) and you get to the Unlock screen and the keypad does not and will not illuminate!!!!!!!! You have to guess your way around the keyboard whilst being blinded by the brightness of the display. As you soon as you key it in correctly and press unlock then the keypad wakes up and lights up.

Is it just me? It bugs the hell out of me......

As for my comments on the SP5m and WM2005 it's a marked improvement and good but the following are annoying problems:-

Joystick on the SP5m is way too small (compared with the SP3i) and you have to ve very careful with it.

You still can't retrieve your emails across multiple accounts in one go - you have to dip into each account and manually send/receive (my old SE P900 did this beautifully - one send/receive did all email accounts).

Keypad lock (not device lock) still not on a timer

Still can't send calendar entries via email (as in Outlook invites)

Still no Notes integration without a third-party product

Might change it for an SP5 to see if that has a bigger joystick.

Having spent 6 months with an SP3i I've just upgrade to the SP5m and one of the things (apart from the wireless etc.) I was most looking forward to testing was whether they'd fixed the very minor but highly annoying bug or undocumented feature ;)

Am I the only person who finds this so annoying?

Here goes. You switch your phone on in the dark (such as early in the morning when you wake up) and you get to the Unlock screen and the keypad does not and will not illuminate!!!!!!!! You have to guess your way around the keyboard whilst being blinded by the brightness of the display. As you soon as you key it in correctly and press unlock then the keypad wakes up and lights up.

Is it just me? It bugs the hell out of me......

As for my comments on the SP5m and WM2005 it's a marked improvement and good but the following are annoying problems:-

Joystick on the SP5m is way too small (compared with the SP3i) and you have to ve very careful with it.

You still can't retrieve your emails across multiple accounts in one go - you have to dip into each account and manually send/receive (my old SE P900 did this beautifully - one send/receive did all email accounts).

Keypad lock (not device lock) still not on a timer

Still can't send calendar entries via email (as in Outlook invites)

Still no Notes integration without a third-party product

Might change it for an SP5 to see if that has a bigger joystick.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm glad i'm not the only one who feels that Windows Mobile is very much a "work in progress". I really wanted to like it, and I'm itching to replace my P900 with something smaller but with similar features, but I'm not sure I can live with the unfinished feel to the OS.

Maybe I'm naive, but I just assumed that I'd be able to sync notes, autolock the keypad, expect the keypad to illuminate when first pressed (even when locked) - I haven't even got as far as setting up my multiple email accounts, and it's increasingly sounding like I might not bother.

SP5 on Ebay anyone?

Guest Pondrew
...expect the keypad to illuminate when first pressed (even when locked)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds expensive on the battery life front - with the buttons being pressed in your pocket while locked and glowing away in the darkness :?:

Actually, the original Smartphone, the SPV (HTC Canary) would illuminate while locked and this was widely condemned and quickly changed as a waste of power...

let me say this:

some of this stuff is not the problem of Windows Mobile - oh no no no. it is the HARDWARE device AND the ROM of the service provider

not saying its faulty at all - its the design!

Guest team_edition

I should point out to the user with a P900 that WM2005 is far better than the Symbian on the P900 and I wouldn't go back to my large P900 which also had an inferior signal quality.

The WM OS is very good and definitely not a work in progress it's just that there are some differences. There would be about 30 things I prefer about the i-mate devices and about 5 things I preferred about the P900.

Certainly if integration with MS Exchange is important (as it is for me) then you can't beat WM2005 and the improvements made in this area. The P900 was pretty much useless in this area.

Whilst the lack of Notes is annoying it's at least fixable using a very good third-party (yet still integrated with MS ActiveSync) piece of software.