Is it just me or... (display timeout)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Is it just me, or is it really stupid that in the Power Management Settings applet, the minimum display timeout is 1 minute?

I really want to set it to something like 30 seconds or less, I don't need the battery-sucking screen to stay on that long.

Crazy thing is, if you dive into the registry, you can set it to whatever value you want (i've set it to 30 seconds).

I feel a utility coming on to change it!

This is second only in stupidity to having the right hand soft key set to 'Contacts' when there's a dedicated Contacts button ;)

P

Guest dearsina

Has anybody done any studies to show what exactly drains battery power? I was under the impression that the biggest drains were the display light and the processor, so I dunno how much battery life you would save by cutting the display time down to 30 sec. I am happy to be proven wrong; anything to prolong the spv battery life.

/reminisces of the days of the Ericsson mobiles, where charging your phone was a weekly affair, not a daily ordeal.

Guest UniqueTouch
This is second only in stupidity to having the right hand soft key set to 'Contacts' when there's a dedicated Contacts button ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

EXACTLY!!!!

Do you know how to change this softkey to load something?

Guest michehrlich

Does anyone know how to set the phone (i-mate SP5) to increase the amount of time that the keypad buttons stay illuminated? (Yes, I know that uses battery, but that's the least of my worries).

At the moment the button lights go off after a couple seconds, which is really annoying when I'm, say, in the car at night -- I have to push some random button to make the keypad light up so I can use it, and hope that I have not pushed something that does something that I don't want to happen!

Thanks!

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've noticed a subtle difference between the dedicated contacts key and the right soft key set to contacts by default. The dedicated contact key retains the last position viewed whereas the right soft key defaults to the top of the file.

I've a preference to start from the same place everytime so the obvious question is can the dedicated contacts key be tweaked to start at the top of the file so I can get underway reassigning the right soft key to something else.

Is it just me, or is it really stupid that in the Power Management Settings applet, the minimum display timeout is 1 minute?

I really want to set it to something like 30 seconds or less, I don't need the battery-sucking screen to stay on that long.

Crazy thing is, if you dive into the registry, you can set it to whatever value you want (i've set it to 30 seconds).

I feel a utility coming on to change it!

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wheres the key to change to 30 seconds Paul ?

cheers

gerryR

Guest Paul [MVP]

Er, off the top of my head something like HKCU\Software\ControlPanel\Power\TimeOut or something like that. It's in milliseconds, so 30000 is 30 seconds.

P