yet another newbie M500 question (or two)

Guest stringman

Guest stringman

Hi all,

top forum it is really imformative. I am hoping you guys can offer me some help.

I have a new m500 with orange and have a couple of queries.

here goes!

Can you actually switch the phone off? reading the manual it appears that you can switch the pda bit off but the phone stays on.

I understand from previous posts that you have to keep it powered on as to keep the memory. If so that seems a little daft as my old ipaq let you switch the unit off to conserve batt power.

Is there a way of assing speed dial to programmes at all like the c500?

finally my speeddial 1 should take me to the answerphone no. It doesnt. is there a fix for this or is it some sort of update via orange?

thanks muchly in advance ;)

Andy

Guest jim.mason
Hi all,

top forum it is really imformative. I am hoping you guys can offer me some help.

I have a new m500 with orange and have a couple of queries.

here goes!

Can you actually switch the phone off? reading the manual it appears that you can switch the pda bit off but the phone stays on.

I understand from previous posts that you have to keep it powered on as to keep the memory. If so that seems a little daft as my old ipaq let you switch the unit off to conserve batt power.

Is there a way of assing speed dial to programmes at all like the c500?

finally my speeddial 1 should take me to the answerphone no. It doesnt. is there a fix for this or is it some sort of update via orange?

thanks muchly in advance ;)

Andy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right, you can't completely turn the device off. Pressing the the power button quickly puts it into standby mode (you can still receive calls and texts etc) if you hold down the power button for a little longer this will keep the phone on but just turn the backlight off.

Not sure what you mean about the speed dial to programs.

To set your answermachine and sms settings goto settings - personal - phone, click on the services tab and then select 'voice mail and sms' then hit the 'get settings' button.

Hope this helps and welcome to the wonderful world of PPC's.

Cheers

Jim

Guest stringman

Thanks for that jim,

I guess i will just have to remember to put it into flight mode!

I got an orange update to sort the answephone speed dial so thats ok.

assigning speed dial to apps. What i could do on my c500 was to assign a speed dial to a prog ie press and hold 9 would bring up file explorer I wonder if you can do that on the m 500

ta all

Guest chucky.egg

Turning on and off

There's an excellent (and FREE) piece of software called "PPC Profiles Pro". I use it to turn Flight Mode on every night at 11pm and off again at 6am. Definately worth a look as it does lots of other stuff too.

http://www.modaco.com/PPCProfiles_Pro-f151.html

If you want to turn the phone off for a long time (eg if you're going on a long flight and wont be using it for hours/days) then you can remove the battery cover. That triggers a switch and cuts the power completely AFAIK.

Speed dials

Speed dials on the M500 are different, largely because there are no number keys to press!

I use SPB PocketPlus (there are other apps too, some free) which lets you put icons on the Today screen. These let you access apps with one tap.

http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/pocketplus/?en

You can also use the excellent (and again FREE) VJSoft vjDialer and vjSMS apps to have Today screen shortcuts to phone numbers. The only weakness with this is that the numbers have to be written into a file, so they're not linked to your Contacts list and have to be updated manually

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=227321&hl=vjDialer

Edited by chucky.egg

Guest stringman

Thanks again guys,

one last thing (i hope)

I have loaded a wodge of wav files to use as ringtones etc. in the windows/ring folder.

using phone setting i can get a bit of quo as a ring tone but as for using wav files for sound alerts (text etc) I seem to have no joy.

I tried the sound and notification folder and opened up message alert but it only opened up the pre loaded sounds.

am I being thick/ surely you can pick your own sound for these?

ta again