Gameboy emulator for SPV - ALPHA code

Guest spacemonkey

Guest spacemonkey

My delays for cleaning up memory thing is totally guess work. It is based mainly on the fact that it's not just me, doom does it too, and it's not every load, just sometimes.

If it loads a 2 meg file on the heap then yes, when it destroys that there should be a defragged 2 meg block in the heap, but I would think that the chances of this making the slightest difference to other apps would be slim.

Guest frankwilliams
Right, been testing a few roms. heres the results so far...

Grand Theft Auto 2 - runs...slowly. 

Pokemon Blue (gameboy - not colour) - runs perfectly

Driver - Didnt work

Pokemon crystal - didnt work

Metal Gear Solid - Works Great!!!!

the bird @ 7pm last night - are you going to stop playing with your mobile and eat that Frank?

the bird @ 8pm last night - are you going to stop playing with your mobile and answer the door Frank?

the bird @ 2am last night - what are you doing with your mobile Frank?

work colleague #1 @ 9am today - are you going stop playing on your phone today and do something?

work colleague #2 @ 11am today - are you going stop playing on your mobile today and help with this Frank?

work colleague #3 @ 1pm today - are you going stop playing on your mobile today and help with this Frank?

work colleague #4 @ 3pm today - are you going stop playing on your phone today and do that yet?

Piece of advice, do not put metal gear solid gbc rom on your spv.

Or GTA for that matter-bit sluggish.....can some1 mail me the proper websites so i can get games like, ahem pokemon, zelda etc. Even tho. p*orn is gr8, id rather have a game 2 play lol,

Spacecowboy, you've seen posts earlier in this thread regarding download of ROMS, why push it? There's a link to free ROMs though. It is illegal to download ROMs... bla bla bla.

If there's a will there's a way - but not here!

Disclaimer: Bla bla bla bla bla. Bla BLA blAA!! Bla Bla....

the bird @ 7pm last night - are you going to stop playing with your mobile and eat that Frank?

the bird @ 8pm last night - are you going to stop playing with your mobile and answer the door Frank?

the bird @ 2am last night - what are you doing with your mobile Frank?

work colleague #1 @ 9am today - are you going stop playing on your phone today and do something?

work colleague #2 @ 11am today - are you going stop playing on your mobile today and help with this Frank?

work colleague #3 @ 1pm today - are you going stop playing on your mobile today and help with this Frank?

work colleague #4 @ 3pm today - are you going stop playing on your phone today and do that yet?

Piece of advice, do not put metal gear solid gbc rom on your spv.

I definetly agree, it runs great which isnt any better either. Makes it even more addictive!

Guest spacecowboy6982

Ne1 got ne ideas about errors in the power managment screen.i cant get into it...and never have been able !! Also, is it possible to change the name of the favorit we changed when unlocking the phone and the "gnuboy" shortcut without duffing nething up?? Hope the new app. arrives soon lol !!

Cheers

Guest spacemonkey

sorry no new version tonight... I'm ppiiiiiiiiiisssssssssseeeeeeeeedddddddddd ;)

Fix the rom picky listy thing tomoerroe monring :lol: layer all...

Guest awarner [MVP]
Ne1 got ne ideas about errors in the power managment screen.i cant get into it...and never have been able !! Also, is it possible to change the name of the favorit we changed when unlocking the phone and the "gnuboy" shortcut without duffing nething up?? Hope the new app. arrives soon lol !!

Cheers

Seen this before with not geting screens. If a hard reset does not work it's a phone call to Orange ;)

I think this post belongs in the main thread. But to answer your question, you should be able to rename favourites and shortcuts as you please without any adverse effects

Guest spacemonkey

OK... the multi ROM version now seems stable.

It's up on http://www.davemoller-nz.demon.co.uk/gnuboy.exe

So:

1. Make a directory 'Storage CardProgram FilesGnuboy'

2. Put gnuboy.exe and any .gb or .gbc files in this directory

3. Run it.

If you have a romfile.gbc you've been using on a previous version and want to retain your place in the game make sure if when you rename it (like back to Zelda.gbc) that you rename all the other romfile.??? files and move them to Storage CardProgram FilesGnuboy or you will lose your game. (A note for interested parties... if you are playing something long term backup these other files with the same name as your ROM to avoid dissappointment).

No other changes in this version... just ROM picker. When you select a rom it may just sit at this screen for a while. This is the stage that it is actually loading the ROM and for big ones it can take some time (especially with the slow load thing that happens with gnuboy and doom...)

PS. I tried to make a CAB that'd put the file in the right place and make a shortcut... doesn't work... the CAB seems right, has all the instructions but I may just be missing some minor key in it... has anyone built a working cab and want to send me a copy of the .inf file they built it from? Cheers Guys.

Guest spacemonkey

For interested people... NORMAL USERS DON'T EVEN BOTHER...

Got the sound going.... try this:

http://www.davemoller-nz.demon.co.uk/gnuboysnd.exe

You can have both this and the normal version on your device at the same time. Anyway, it sounds god awful.... So best to use the not sound version, especially as it runs faster, in the mean time. The Sound module itself isn't the problem, it's a case of the whole thing just runs a little too slow on this platform... the only solution would be some real hardcore performance tuning and this is definitely not on the cards for me right now...

Next target is to get some menu functionality and allow you to define your own controls...

Guest Shuflie

Works a treat here too. Glad the old save files worked as well. Are you going to be working on getting the sound going next or are you devoting more time to something else now?

Nevermind, already answered.

cheers spacemonkey, this emulators by far the best thing released so far. One thing that would be useful would be a frameskip option for games that don't run that fast.

Guest spacemonkey

It's already got frameskip internally (in fact it runs at frameskip = 3) Gameboy is 60 fps I think, so frameskip =3 means we are currently getting about 20 fps (maybe).

Anyway, I tried bumping it up to frameskip 10 and it made bugger all difference to the speed, just made the animation jumpyer. Skipping output frames doesn't take much load of the emulator portion of the program becuase it still has to emulate every frame internally (kinda).

Anyway, menus are my next thing and user selectable frameskip, controls and maybe sound, although if you try the gnuboysnd.exe above you'll probably not be desiring this too hard just yet ;)

Guest spacemonkey

No, tried frame skip = 10 and it still sounded crap... need to tune the whole emulation end to get it running "full speed" before the sound will come right... ANYWAY...

EXTRA FOR EXPERTS...

upset cos your SD Card is full? Stingy bastard still using the 8 Mb that came with the phone? (I am)

Well, the good news is that GnuBoy includes zlib... what this means is if you gzip your rom file, it'll still play perfectly... (loading time may be a little longer). That's not regular zip that's gzip (linux people know what I'm saying). If you're windows only, CYGWIN provides a good set of linux tools under windows including gzip. If you don't understand what I'm saying just stick with those big fast loading roms and ignore this message.

So, anyway, if I have BubbleBobble.gbc and I gzip it it gets compressed to under half the size and rename BubbleBobble.gbz.gz Rename this back to BubbleBobble.gbc (otherwise Gnuboy won't find it) and whack it on the phone in the usual place....

Note: Don't need a new version, this has always been in there I just got round to testing it ;)