I-mate SP5: only 1 APN working at a time? More?

Guest eieioeieio

Guest eieioeieio

I'm waiting to get my I-Mate SP5 soon and I was told by a friend who already has one that only 1 APN service works at a time. For example: you can have (1) WAP and MMS working via one T Mobile server, OR (2) www Internet. BUT NOT BOTH.

that's odd and limiting since you cannot send an MMS and then browse a "regular" www internet web site without resorting to going through the entire set up process for a different APN (different server for T Mobile for accessing www/internet than the server for WAP and MMS).

i wonder if this limitation is due to a hardware problem of the SP5, or is it a firmware shortcoming that can be changed as they come out with later revisions?

additionally, who "flashes" and updates firmware on the I-Mate SP5? for sony ericsson phones, we used to be able to send it to certain people ( i recall one guy in California and one guy in Pennsylvania) and they have the equipment and "authorization" to upgrade sony ericsson firmware. i have no idea who does that for I-Mate SP5 phones.

thank you in advance! looking forward to hearing guidance/advice/comments from you folks who are far more knowledgeable in smartphones than i am. this is my first mobile 5.0/smartphone!

Guest shadamehr

Well I have no idea if what you say is true or not, in terms of multiple APN's, but what IS KNOWN from the several sp5 users on here such as me is that I can happily send MMS.

I can also happily browse the web... be it via GPRS, BT passthru, or wi-fi to my home network, without the need to change ANYTHING at all.

And surely THAT is the bit you need to know?

Doesn't he mean the old O2 issue where as a NETWORK, they could not assign you two APN's so you could EITHER send MMS, OR browse Mobile Web - a different thing entirely...

?

Edited by shadamehr