Smartphone Game Emulators for C550

Guest Parallax20

Guest efishta
OK guys,  I've run PocketSNES through the emulator and have detected what I think may have been the problem.  So if someone can try out the new file and let me know if it works or not on an actual device?

Parallax.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK I tested it, and it now runs but only on Portrait and Landscape left, but not on landscape right. If I set it to Landscape Right, it crashes back to the file explorer window. I did notice however, that if you run it with landscape left and then switch to it in landscape right while the program's still running, the game itself will load and run with no problems. However, when you run it the next time and it loads the game in landscape right by default, it crashes.

One more thing - what's the actual function of the CPU speed setting. What does it change in the emulator that you said makes it run faster?

Guest Parallax20
OK I tested it, and it now runs but only on Portrait and Landscape left, but not on landscape right. If I set it to Landscape Right, it crashes back to the file explorer window. I did notice however, that if you run it with landscape left and then switch to it in landscape right while the program's still running, the game itself will load and run with no problems. However, when you run it the next time and it loads the game in landscape right by default, it crashes.

One more thing - what's the actual function of the CPU speed setting. What does it change in the emulator that you said makes it run faster?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

efishta - thanks for testing it out. I could only rely on the emulator for testing this change. I'll take a look at the landscape right problem...sounds to me like an initialisation problem when first run.

Update: Landscape Right mode has been fixed. See first post for new file.

I didn't delve too deeply into the PocketSNES core code, but the CPU cycles is a percentage value and I can only assume it to be the number of cpu instructions it processes per cycle. Changing this value can make games quicker but the value you use will vary depending on the game. I tried it on a few games....some went faster and others stopped working, so you'll have to play around with its acceptable for you use.

Parallax.

Edited by Parallax20

Guest efishta
efishta - thanks for testing it out.  I could only rely on the emulator for testing this change.  I'll take a look at the landscape right problem...sounds to me like an initialisation problem when first run.

Update: Landscape Right mode has been fixed. See first post for new file.

I didn't delve too deeply into the PocketSNES core code, but the CPU cycles is a percentage value and I can only assume it to be the number of cpu instructions it processes per cycle.  Changing this value can make games quicker but the value you use will vary depending on the game.  I tried it on a few games....some went faster and others stopped working, so you'll have to play around with its acceptable for you use.

Parallax.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you very much for the work you put in this - I can now say it works perfectly and in portrait mode, in which the original did not work in, it's great for some text games where the text was barely readable in landscape mode. The games also run faster due to the CPU cycles feature, so once again thank you very much.

rude people here, im going to close my a/c and look for other sites.

cya

you mean people who observe both copyright law and the rules of the forum ?

well please be my guest to find somewhere else to steal cash from some developers pocket

Guest awarner [MVP]

Previous posts removed, please remember guys read the site rules before posting and keep the forum replies friendly or at least straight to the point ie suggest reading the rules etc.

Now let's have a good Christmas/holiday season :)

Guest thrasher086

This Emulator is getting much better. Is there anyway to read the text better in games. I can barely read anything. Anyway of making a zoom mode or something along those lines?

Edited by thrasher086

Guest Jamma14
This Emulator is getting much better. Is there anyway to read the text better in games. I can barely read anything. Anyway of making a zoom mode or something along those lines?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeh I have an idea for you - get the c550. :D

(Assuming you have a 176x220 phone) :)

Tis only £129.99 now with a 512mb SD card - and on a QVGA screen it's really easy to see all the text.

Guest thrasher086
Yeh I have an idea for you - get the c550. :D

(Assuming you have a 176x220 phone)  :)

Tis only £129.99 now with a 512mb SD card - and on a QVGA screen it's really easy to see all the text.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah but thats just like giving money away since my phone can almost do what the Pocket PC can.

Guest wabawaba

excuse me, but what exactly is the compatibility at this point in time. is it fairly good? Because i have a version made by Hao Zhang based off of SNES9x 1.43 you could look at.. it supports games like FF3 and Chrono Trigger and plays them pretty dang fast.. so if you want to take a look, ill post them here. :)

Cheers

Guest efishta
excuse me, but what exactly is the compatibility at this point in time. is it fairly good? Because i have a version made by Hao Zhang based off of SNES9x 1.43 you could look at.. it supports games like FF3 and Chrono Trigger and plays them pretty dang fast.. so if you want to take a look, ill post them here. :)

Cheers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if you are talking about a smartphone port of snes9x based on 1.43, and not a pocketpc version, then hell yeah, post them here. This forum is open to everyone. The current port does not run FF3 or Chrono Trigger.

Parallax20, I know you been asked this before, but would it be possible for you to enable the sound option?

I understand it uses alot of CPU, but on less demanding games it should be ok.

Guest trevdixon

hi,

on pocket snes the joystick wont press up in portrait mode or left in landscape mode, but it works ok on pico drive? i'm using them on a SP5. any ideas whats wrong?

BTW i'm using the latest versions of both emu's.

Edited by trevdixon

Guest Parallax20
Please help I would really like to use these emulators in landscape

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Mini_Man

The latest files are in my first post. I decided to stop dotting files in my posts and make all updates accessible from the first page.

Parallax.

Guest Parallax20
hi,

on pocket snes the joystick wont press up in portrait mode or left in landscape mode, but it works ok on pico drive? i'm using them on a SP5. any ideas whats wrong?

BTW i'm using the latest versions of both emu's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll take a look at this problem when I have a moment. You're the second person who's reported this problem. I'm not sure why it does that, it should register the default cursor keys on startup.

Parallax.

Guest Parallax20

Cheers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Update

Ok. Not to be outdone I've updated PocketSNES to incorporate SNES9x 1.43 latest core. So it should work with games mentioned above plus others that didn't work with ver 1.39.

Latest files attached to first post!

Have fun and merry xmas to all!

Parallax.

Guest mini_man
Hi Mini_Man

The latest files are in my first post. I decided to stop dotting files in my posts and make all updates accessible from the first page.

Parallax.

Are the ones in the first post landscape and by landscape do u mean tipping phone on its side as it seems to be a portrait version.

Guest Parallax20
Are the ones in the first post landscape and by landscape do u mean tipping phone on its side as it seems to be a portrait version.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Both my builds of PicoDrive and PocketSNES have landscape capabilities if you feel portait is shrinking your image too much or find the buttons less accessible. Landscape mode allows you to display full console resolution plus use of the whole keypad in a more comfortable way. At the end of the day, its whatever suits you best. Most people prefer landscape as it utilises a bigger screen area and makes playing games more pleasurable.

Parallax.

Guest efishta
Update

Ok.  Not to be outdone I've updated PocketSNES to incorporate SNES9x 1.43 latest core.  So it should work with games mentioned above plus others that didn't work with ver 1.39. 

Latest files attached to first post!

Have fun and merry xmas to all!

Parallax.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dang it I was sooo looking forward to this - then it crashed on execution. :) lol Thank you for the effort though.

I start up the new version on my Mpx220 and it just crashes on startup, as soon as it gets to the main screen. It doesn't let me do anything, options or load ROMs or anything. Hopefully you can look into it.

Guest Parallax20
Dang it I was sooo looking forward to this - then it crashed on execution. :) lol Thank you for the effort though.

I start up the new version on my Mpx220 and it just crashes on startup, as soon as it gets to the main screen. It doesn't let me do anything, options or load ROMs or anything. Hopefully you can look into it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats bizarre, it works fine on my C550. I wonder if anyone else is experiencing the same problem? Can anyone else confirm it crashes on start up?

Parallax

Guest efishta
Thats bizarre, it works fine on my C550.  I wonder if anyone else is experiencing the same problem?  Can anyone else confirm it crashes on start up?

Parallax

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I ran it on the WM 2003SE smartphone emulator and it crashes there too. It gets as far as showing the main screen of the emulator with the logo on it, then it immediately crashes.

Guest Parallax20
I ran it on the WM 2003SE smartphone emulator and it crashes there too. It gets as far as showing the main screen of the emulator with the logo on it, then it immediately crashes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The exe's won't work on the wm2003 emulator, its compiled for the ARM processor and not for x86 instruction set.

Guest efishta
The exe's won't work on the wm2003 emulator, its compiled for the ARM processor and not for x86 instruction set.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 SE emulator's purpose is to emulate ARM processor smartphones on the x86 platform in order to help developers debug their programs. I can see how you can be confused, but any game or program in this forum here will run on a WM 2003SE emulator without recompilation. I've tested dozens of programs on it. Your previous release, the one right before this last 1.43 core update, ran without problems on the emulator. The other version of PocketSNES by Huang Zhao (sorry for the possible misspelling) that was shared her also ran with no problems.

Usually I use it in order to make sure it's not just my phone that has problems with the software, but it's actually program errors that are causing crashes, such as in this case, and not hardware specific problems for the particular phone.

Regardless of what happens with your progress, I do want to say that your work is really appreciated here. No one had picked up the project in a while, and the addition of the CPU settings, as well as the on-demand SAVE and RESTORE features are a welcome addition to it. Hopefully the 1.43 core update can be also done for the 2003SE original resolution phones :)

Edited by efishta