One week on...my thoughts...on the M5000

Guest bronksy

Guest bronksy

Ok.. so a few days on here's my rant for the day.. feel free to comment..

1) It's painfully slow, much worse that I thought it was when reading the forums before I bought it. I thought people were exaggerating, but it is just too too slow

2) 3G-2G handover is appalling when the unit is idle.. i've noticed it sitting on NO reception in my office (which is in Central London) Seems like the unit can't go between 2/3g without a soft reset or a flight mode switrch. I've ended up turning off the 3G to make sure I don't miss calls. This is poor.

3)For some reason, PV player doesn't open now in my unit.. it begins to then nothing happens. I've only installed WM5 apps on my device (and there's only a few on there)

4) The unit seems to take an age to come out of sleep mode, mine just sits there for about 10 seconds before it boots.

5) When looking at my pics (on the storage card) i get an out of memory error message that pops up. All my pics are arounf 100k and on the SD card. The M5000 takes an age to load the thumbnails then when browsing the unit can't cope and gives me an error message.

6) I think we may be suffering from the same fate as the E200 regarding the storage card. I don't think the power management is configured properly and the SD card is draining the battery quite badly. I noticed that when the battery is really low the unit gives an error message that tells you it's stopping access to the SD card to save power. I'd hazard a guess it's draining more power than it should.

7) if you set a background picture it seems to disappear after a soft reset.

And Finally...Also, not the units fault but the lack of compatible software is rubbish..

Guest hotphil

Regarding point 2 - I don't think that's specific to the M5000. I had similar issues with other Orange 3G handsets.

With all the other points you make, I think I'll be steering clear of the M5000!

Guest Pondrew
...I noticed that when the battery is really low the unit gives an error message that tells you it's stopping access to the SD card to save power. I'd hazard a guess it's draining more power than it should.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not much I can contribute as never used the M5000 BUT the message advising insufficient power for the sd card is something that also happens on my HTC Blue Angel with WM2003SE so it's probably fair to say it's normal behaviour for a Pocket PC Phone (only happens with very low battery power though).

Guest removed-14
Ok.. so a few days on here's my rant for the day.. feel free to comment..

1) It's painfully slow, much worse that I thought it was when reading the forums before I bought it. I thought people were exaggerating, but it is just too too slow

2) 3G-2G handover is appalling when the unit is idle.. i've noticed it sitting on NO reception in my office (which is in Central London) Seems like the unit can't go between 2/3g without a soft reset or a flight mode switrch. I've ended up turning off the 3G to make sure I don't miss calls. This is poor.

3)For some reason, PV player doesn't open now in my unit.. it begins to then nothing happens. I've only installed WM5 apps on my device (and there's only a few on there)

4) The unit seems to take an age to come out of sleep mode, mine just sits there for about 10 seconds before it boots.

5) When looking at my pics (on the storage card) i get an out of memory error message that pops up. All my pics are arounf 100k and on the SD card. The M5000 takes an age to load the thumbnails then when browsing the unit can't cope and gives me an error message.

6) I think we may be suffering from the same fate as the E200 regarding the storage card. I don't think the power management is configured properly and the SD card is draining the battery quite badly. I noticed that when the battery is really low the unit gives an error message that tells you it's stopping access to the SD card to save power. I'd hazard a guess it's draining more power than it should.

7) if you set a background picture it seems to disappear after a soft reset.

And Finally...Also, not the units fault but the lack of compatible software is rubbish..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well i have to disagree on ALL your points and i know why you and every other M5000 has had similar complaints... Orange! The ROM has been tinkered with TOO Much! I have the XDA Exec which performs much better than my friends M5000. I get great signal, no problem loading my photos, background (VGA piccy) stays after soft resets (only done about 10 in the month of ownership...due to bad third party software not WM5).

I will agree that WM5 software is harder to find but its only been out about 2 months. It was the same with WM2002 to WM2003. Except this step is a bit further for the developers. Give this one time. And send back your M5000 and switch to O2!

Edited by removed-14

Guest bronksy
end back your M5000 and switch to O2!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

bugger it.. I can't win.. I WANT to love this device.. it's so so annoying.. what HAVE Orange done. I'm not using their homescreen blah blah.. i don't understand for the life of me why they spend so much R&D time in developing software to kack up a decent OS..

Guest Larnsky

Well as i said in a previous post my M5000 seems to run fine, once i'd disabled the orange homescreen! I will admit in some respects it probably is a bit splower then my M1000, but the screen is twice the resolution.

I always seem to have 3G coverage, and i live out in the sticks!! occassionally i see it change to 2G, but it normally goes straight back, and i've certainly never had to reset it or switch it to flight mode to get signal back.

Whenever i press the reset button the device powers up instantly, the only time it may lag going into programs is when the device first boots, but you would expect that.

No idea on the PV player front i'm afraid, can't say i normally use it.

I haven't got anywhere near 100 pictures on my SD card, but got about 20 on there and i see no problems in browsing them.

The storage card is bound to take up some power, the memory has to be checked to see if there are any changes, and if you have programs using it it will check it more often, the message will only come up when the power gets very low, and only as a last attempt by the OS ro keep the unit running for a bit longer.

I must admit i'm more then happy with my M5000, but i haven't compared it to an Exec, so can't really say if its much worse in performance, but i can't see why it would be!

Guest JonStatt

Well we ALL should probably be using PVPlayer much more often if Orange get their act together and enable the WAP services so we can play movie trailers etc. On every other 3G phone you get to play the trailer for the top 10 movies. However, on the M5000 it only offers picture stills! So the most powerful 3G phone doesn't get the right WAP offering! Crazy!

Jonathan

Guest dazza12

I'm having a similar experience to Larnsky in that my M5000 has very few problems.

In fact, a friend with an XDA Exec sent his back and got an M5000 due to the problems he had with the Exec.

I think it's the luck of the draw, there seem to be a few bad eggs from all variants about. I do know of people with similar problems with the M5000. ROM versions seem to be the same, so I think most of these issues are possibly hardware related.

A point to add

orange did NOT take 4-x months for "testing" and "branding" M5000 - look at the problems.

They thought it would be a huge success with 3G etc... and well - doesnt look like it

C600 - well - i guess that will never get released the way things are going. Just shows what orange are like.

Guest Dogmatick

Had similar problems, Orange tech support (who are uncontactable in their Ivory tower) Say that they have not had a single other case reported and that it must just be me.

As a data device its great, as a phone it is absolutely pants.

Does anyone else have problems answering the phone, I miss loads of call because when I open the lid and flip it round, it takes so long to refresh the display that the call drops. Orange have changed the handsetout twice now and I keep telling them that it is their customisation that has crippled it.

Also has anyone else experienced long latency in trying to end a call, if you have been speaking for a while and the screen has gone to sleep, it takes six or seven presses of the red button to drop a call, same goes for a second call coming in that you cannot see who it is until you have a split second to answer it before it drops. The poor CS guys are I think a litle sick of me calling with the same complaint, though Tech support say that they will not support a phone without their software on it and that it is irremovable and that no one else has this issue, then they ask me to hard reset and how much memory do I have (again and again)

Mild rant sorry its just been building up for a while

Guest bronksy

i don't get it.. i thought I could answer the phone when it is closed by pressin the green button on the side, this drops the call. the only way i can seem to answer the call is if it's in PDA mode, then the buttons work, if the clamshell is fully closed, the only way I can open it is to open the flip, press the 'Answer' softkey then close the flap and use the external earpiece. Otherwise all my calls get dropped.

This is a

right

royal

pain

in

the

ass

Guest philtech44
... their customisation that has crippled it.

... though Tech support say that they will not support a phone without their software on it and that it is irremovable

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1) Is it irremovable?

2) If so, how?

3) What are the implications - if any?

anyone?

Guest Jasonkruys

The first thing you can do, is simply uncheck 'orange' on the Today settings screen (second tab), and also select something other than the orange homescreen, such as the default (on the first tab).

Bronsky - I have no problems answering the phone witht the green button with the screen closed, maybe you have a defective unit?

Guest Dogmatick
i have done this..i think that 3G is the culprit, the handover with data is almost seemless, but for voice.. it's shocking.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bronsky

Do you get the delayed screen refresh when trying to answer a call, I find that there are two soft answer buttons on screen and neither seem to work. Also I drop many calls whilst in 3G I presume as you say during the handover, do you know if it is possible to force the phone element to use 2G instead?

Oh and did you notice any diff with turning off error reporting.

Plus to all the people thinking that we are making up the call answering problems, many people have commented on how long I take to answer the phone compared to before, and this is my third handset

Guest techyphile

i have now had the 'phone for a couple of weeks.

can'y get the wifi to communicate with my network, and i am dropping sooooooo many calls at home and at work its frustrating. spoke to someone at orange about trying to get a rom update and they said it was an htc thing not their problem.

hmmmmmmmm.

Guest Dogmatick

Just spoke to Orange again and pointed out this site for their own techies to check, as it is quite obvious that I am NOT the only person with this issue, sent HTC a very long email regarding the errors and they haven't come back yet

Guest bronksy

hi there..

to make the phone 2G only..

press the green call button, go to menu softkey, then options, then band, then select GSM and not auto.

I'm pretty sure its 3G causing most annoyances for me..I have had no calls come in, full 3G signal and made calls. Went to check for voicemail and found 6 messages from today..no spool symbol nada..something is not right!

Guest chrisbpr
Regarding point 2 - I don't think that's specific to the M5000. I had similar issues with other Orange 3G handsets.

With all the other points you make, I think I'll be steering clear of the M5000!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

too right i had a k600i on orange witht the same problem, told oabout it as not happy & o didn't give a s***.

have gone to t-mobile & got a vario.

i have been with ornage for 8+ years ...the future isnt bright & it certainy not o.

Just spoke to Orange again and pointed out this site for their own techies to check, as it is quite obvious that I am NOT the only person with this issue, sent HTC a very long email regarding the errors and they haven't come back yet

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

they DONT get back to almost anyone - its the way they are....

Guest WEBSERVICESUK

I gave up waiting for Orange (I thought I would have been able to get one at the Orange DevCon) I went for an MDA Pro instead - no problems so far, (though I am not a heavy user).