M5000 dropping call.. possible fix?

Guest bronksy

Guest bronksy

Ok, i've spent hours on the phone to Orange and chatted at length to them about issues we're all having with the M5000, i pointed them to this site and hopfully got their technicians to take a look at the user issues we're having...

I have a thought...

I feel that many of the problems we're having with the phone could be to do with the phones ability to handle 3G, especially during voice calls.

For the past few days, my phone has had decent 3g ocverage in my office, yet won't ring and goes through to voicemail and then doesn't notify me... but, i turned off 3G and the phone SEEMS to be functioning better in terms of dropping calls etc...

Just as a quick test, could we arrange to turn off the 3G on the handset and see how we all get on with it as a 2G handset, say for one day and to see if this helps?

I have a feeling it might, i think the phone can't handle 3G and it's confusing itself, especially when it swaps between 2 & 3G..

Is it worth a try?

Guest philtech44

Coincidence! I have had my m5000 switched to GSM only for 6 hours now.. and I have almost all bars on my reception indicator lit, no call dropping, etc etc... touch wood... will leave it until same time tomorrow...

Since the idea of swapping to 2G only was mentioned earlier this week, I've had my M5000 set to 2G and..........................................................

..........................it hasn't dropped a single call (regardless of whether the lid was open or closed, in "laptop" mode or "PDA" mode).

Think we might be on to something with this; I've also found the 2G signal quality to be better than 3G and obviously there's no flip-flop between the "U" and the "G" to screw the phone up!

Mark.

Guest philtech44
Since the idea of swapping to 2G only was mentioned earlier this week, I've had my M5000 set to 2G and..........................................................

..........................it hasn't dropped a single call (regardless of whether the lid was open or closed, in "laptop" mode or "PDA" mode).

Think we might be on to something with this; I've also found the 2G signal quality to be better than 3G and obviously there's no flip-flop between the "U" and the "G" to screw the phone up!

Mark.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lets face it, it seemsto be a known fact that Orange 3G network/reception is not all that from what I have read almost everywhere... but the switching from 2G to 3G and vice versa does seem to point towards the underlying call issues we're all having... if anyones on the phone to Orange techies today point them to this forum!!

Guest philtech44
Where about are you changing it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

press green call button

press menu

go to Options

choose Band tab

Change 'Select your network type' to GSM'

badabing!

Guest bronksy

this is good.. showing signs of some way to point Orange in the direction of trying to fix something...

Come on people... sacrifce a day of poor 3G use to see if this really is the issue...

Ridiculous really that a bunch of enthusiasts are troubleshooting the most premium handset on Orange.. but hey...

Guest philtech44
this is good.. showing signs of some way to point Orange in the direction of trying to fix something...

Come on people... sacrifce a day of poor 3G use to see if this really is the issue...

Ridiculous really that a bunch of enthusiasts are troubleshooting the most premium handset on Orange.. but hey...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have had my 5000 switched to 2G since we started this topic and ive had no dropped calls whatsoever... for anyone with dropped call problems switch to 2G _ see earlier posts on how to do this if you're stuck_It saves a lot of hair-pulling and grief!!

Nice one Bronsky :)

Guest bronksy

seems to be the same for me.. brilliantly defeating the object of having a great 3G data device... all we need now is to call Orange and get this logged as many times as possible..

Guest Dogmatick
seems to be the same for me.. brilliantly defeating the object of having a great 3G data device... all we need now is to call Orange and get this logged as many times as possible..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had previously pointed them to this site, I got a response today saying that this is an enthusiast site and that the information here is not 100 per cent reliable, my response was that this forum is a FORUM where people have been discussing the fact that we are not all the 'only people to experiencing the problems I reported' as they keep insisting.

Then they asked me, again, for my free memory readings....

Well d-uh

• 5 months later...
Guest Cockeye

I just got my 5000 today and have been playing with it for the last three hours. It has been sitting in my living next to my M55 (also on orange contract).

Guess what?

My M500 shows healthy signal and will accept calls.

My M5000 signal is 30% and wont accept a call - sending it through to voicemail evry time. It;s accepted one out of ten calls. My M500 has taken all ten.

I have had nothing but problems with this damn unit so far.

Going to try this 2G fix now and see if it helps.

Guest Shaunfarris

Snap,

I've had my M5000 for 2 weeks now, and all but 2 days of that (first 2 days) I have had 3G switched off.

One thing I have noticed though is Orange 3G is available pretty much everywhere, but for not for Voice and Data, it seems to be for Data only.

When I had 3G on in my home, data was superb but no voice and no bars on the signal strength.

Switched off 3G and voilla signal strength jumped to 2 bars (I've never got a good signal at home indoors, I want a cheap wireless gsm reapeater..............any ideas???) and straight aways voice works great again.

3G has been switched off ever since, unless I want to do some serious web browsing then I activate it again while I'm doing it

Guest Shaunfarris

Snap,

I've had my M5000 for 2 weeks now, and all but 2 days of that (first 2 days) I have had 3G switched off.

One thing I have noticed though is Orange 3G is available pretty much everywhere, but for not for Voice and Data, it seems to be for Data only.

When I had 3G on in my home, data was superb but no voice and no bars on the signal strength.

Switched off 3G and voilla signal strength jumped to 2 bars (I've never got a good signal at home indoors, I want a cheap wireless gsm reapeater..............any ideas???) and straight aways voice works great again.

3G has been switched off ever since, unless I want to do some serious web browsing then I activate it again while I'm doing it

This is not limited to the M5000 or any other one handset, it's a property of most if not all currently available dual-mode phones that they will behave stupidly sometimes when using the 3G network. I regularly have customers in with 6680's, N70's, SE K600's etc which all do the same thing. The solution is to switch it to 2G, reboot the phone and allow it to find the network, then switch back to automatic mode.

FWIW my own M5000 doesn't drop calls and send them striahgt to voicemail. I've never had any real issues with it.

Guest Cockeye

Strangely enough, since the first day I haven't had this problem again.

But the signal is still weak in my house when it is strong on my 500. In some places it drops out completely on my 5000, but is on two bars on my 500

• 2 months later...
Guest alsxuk

I have done everything that has been suggested in the previous posts AND, I even did a Hard Reset without success resolving this issue.

For some reason the PDA has decided to drop my calls after about one minute - I am seriously considering getting rid of it and using something simpler!! :)

What I cannot understand was the fact that it was fine for a few months and then started to drop the calls - I thought if I at least did a Hard Reset everything would start afresh - wrong!

Any other ideas out there before I take the plunge and ditch it? I'm currently back using my Nokia 6210 !!

I am on an Orange Contract but the phone was purchased via eBay.

Guest alsxuk

Further to my last post (above) I found the following tenuous link:

I did everything again that has been so far suggested - however at one stage while waiting for the call to time out after 60 seconds I played the Bubble Breaker game to pass the time. Three minutes later I realised nothing had happened.

I have now repeated the above several times and I find that if I access something on the screen after I have answered the call then the PDA does not appear to drop the call - if I don't then the call gets dropped!

The backlight is set to time out after 5 minutes so what is 'kicking in' after 60 seconds to make the phone drop my call each time?

Guest jimbouk

Just in case it helps, I now have a hermes and the 3g call performance and the switching between 3g and 2g during calls is working fine - which would seem to suggest that the issues you guys are experiencing are probably down to the universal. Then again the 3g signal strength may just be strong enough where each of you is to make the device think it can handle calls...

• 4 months later...
Guest Michael Eyres

I reported this to Orange about 3 months ago and they said they know of the problem. I was told to turn to 2G for a week and true this was fine... Since then I had a dead phone and had a new replacement (Orange care) and that did the same so I switched to 2G again and fine.... Now months later I messesed up the upgrade and went back to bootloader and 'finally' managed to get back on line... I forgot to turn off 3G again and most of my calls can't be picked up and drop to answerphone. I have just switched back to 2G and all well again.. So basically Orange have not fixed the problem they said they would 3 months agao and it still bad for 3G use on my M5000 :)

Guest AlanJC
I reported this to Orange about 3 months ago and they said they know of the problem. I was told to turn to 2G for a week and true this was fine... Since then I had a dead phone and had a new replacement (Orange care) and that did the same so I switched to 2G again and fine.... Now months later I messesed up the upgrade and went back to bootloader and 'finally' managed to get back on line... I forgot to turn off 3G again and most of my calls can't be picked up and drop to answerphone. I have just switched back to 2G and all well again.. So basically Orange have not fixed the problem they said they would 3 months agao and it still bad for 3G use on my M5000 :)

This is also an issue on my JasJar, and Sony Ericsson K800i. Both on Orange.

But I did have this issue with T-Mobile on the JasJar also, so it's not limited to Orange, T-Mobile, or the M5000.