1Gb SD or mini SD?

Guest mitman

I've currently got a M500 on orange and am still using a 256mb SD I got when I first had an E200. I am now aching for a storage upgrade and am considering getting an SD so it can fit in my M500.

However having seen that the T-mobile Vario (HTC Wizard) takes only mini SD card, I'm wondering if anyone thinks this trend is going to continue with future small pda devices.

So, I was wondering if it would be worth getting a 1Gb mini SD and using the adapter while I use it with the M500 and having it "future" proof so when I upgrade in 9 months, it will be compatible with whatever device I choose then?

Any help and opinions would be appreciated. :)

Guest Confused Stu

I'd go for the 1Gb SD card for the simple reason that the next phone you get might have a MiniSD slot. Here's how I see the conversations going:

You: I'm going to need to get a new memory card for my phone - I was thinking about the 4Gb one now the price has come down a bit.

Wife: Can't you use the one from your old phone?

You: Nah, my 1Gb is a different sized one and doesn't fit! Isn't technology a pain? Just logging onto MobyMemory, OK love?

See - go for the less future-proof technology so you have an excuse to buy newer toys sooner!

:)

Guest PayableOnDeath
You: I'm going to need to get a new memory card for my phone - I was thinking about the 4Gb one now the price has come down a bit.

Wife: Can't you use the one from your old phone?

You: Nah, my 1Gb is a different sized one and doesn't fit!  Isn't technology a pain?  Just logging onto MobyMemory, OK love?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LMAO lets hope your wife dont read this lol :D

if it was me i would go for the Mini :) but there again thats prob cos I wouldnt beable to afford to shell out for a new 1gb card if the new ppc did happen to be mini SD and not SD

Thanks for the replies.

I think my circumstances matches payableondeath's more. Being a student I would like to make things last as long as possible before I have to discard them.

Would there be any major differences in read/write speeds between the two?

Guest chucky.egg

This sort of thing is always tricky.

I'm using a 1Gb miniSD and, as far as I can tell, there's no noticeable difference in speed to a regular SD. We did some tests and the transfer rate of 60x SD is marginally faster for sustained transfers (ie. copying large volumes of data) but not enough to make a practical difference.

As for which card... I'd get the biggest capacity you can afford, regardless of format.

You might well find that MicroSD takes off, and your MiniSD becomes useless anyway.

I've got my eye on a 4Gb SD. The 1Gb, which seemed plenty at the time, is now full.

I'd go for the 1Gb SD card for the simple reason that the next phone you get might have a MiniSD slot.  Here's how I see the conversations going:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd go for the SD too. Its currently cheaper and by the time you get a new phone, you'll probably find you want say a 4Gb card anyway. I went from an MPx200 to a C500 to an M500 and had to change card type each time (although the MPx200 card did get a brief spell in the M500), but ending up going for double capacity each time.

I say screw the future, but then I did have 20 grand plus of debt by the time i got my first job after uni so take my advice with caution!

Guest Confucious

My last few phones have taken Transflash, MiniSD, RSMMC and my current phone (The HTC Universal) takes SD cards.

There is no guarantee of future proofing. HTC seem to use either SD or MiniSD cards but don't bank on it. I suppose it depends on the premium you would pay for a 1Gb mini SD over a 1Gb SD card.

But then my computer at work uses Rambus memory - and I need more :)

Edited by Confucious

So, I was wondering if it would be worth getting a 1Gb mini SD and using the adapter while I use it with the M500 and having it "future" proof so when I upgrade in 9 months, it will be compatible with whatever device I choose then?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's an idea. Buy a Mini-SD card and use the miniSD-to-SD adapter that comes with it if you ever need to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Everyone has an off day. :)

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll get a miniSD and use the adapter. I think I'll go for the 2gb one.

Anyone know where you can find it cheap?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Confused Stu

Expansys? Don't know what stock levels and prices are like at the moment, but they're always a good place to try anything electrical.