WiFi File sharing problem!

Guest LazyDan

Guest LazyDan

Hi all

I recently bought a T-Mobile MDA Vario and have been thoroughly impressed with it, other than a few flaws which I am completely putting down to the awkward Windows Mobile 5.0.

My biggest problem is that I'd like to be able to browse my laptop's shared folders, transfer files back and forth and most importantly, stream video and music, but no matter what I try, I just can't get it working.

I set up an unsecured ad-hoc connection from my Laptop, and my MDA recognises it and connects to it instantly. But if I try putting in my laptop's computer name in File Exporer, Total Commander, Resco, Net Use etc. I get 'Path not found' from explorer, 'Error 53' (or 52, can't remember,) from Total Commander and nothing at all from the others.

I can't share the internet because I'm using my University LAN connection which can't be shared (not gonna go into detail on that, just accept that I won't be getting shared internet on my phone ;( ) so I don't know if Internet sharing would work or not.

The most frustrating thing is that I CAN ping my MDA from my laptop and vice versa... That works, but I can't connect to my laptop using any programs either by my laptop's name or by it's IP address.

I've tried enabling NetBIOS under the WINS tab in my Wireless card's TCP/IP settings like it has been suggested in various places, but that did nothing.

Help? :)

Guest martynstar

The only way i was able to browse my network files is using Resco Explorer

I connected to the Wifi have to wait for a little while for it to get its ip address and everything sorted although it will let u use the internet and msn while its still sorting it out! weird

load up resco explorer and there is an option to view the network, once again give it a little while to sort itself out, but once connected u can map drives and browse the neighbourhood!!

Martyn

Hi all

I recently bought a T-Mobile MDA Vario and have been thoroughly impressed with it, other than a few flaws which I am completely putting down to the awkward Windows Mobile 5.0.

My biggest problem is that I'd like to be able to browse my laptop's shared folders, transfer files back and forth and most importantly, stream video and music, but no matter what I try, I just can't get it working.

I set up an unsecured ad-hoc connection from my Laptop, and my MDA recognises it and connects to it instantly.  But if I try putting in my laptop's computer name in File Exporer, Total Commander, Resco, Net Use etc.  I get 'Path not found' from explorer, 'Error 53' (or 52, can't remember,) from Total Commander and nothing at all from the others.

I can't share the internet because I'm using my University LAN connection which can't be shared (not gonna go into detail on that, just accept that I won't be getting shared internet on my phone ;( ) so I don't know if Internet sharing would work or not.

The most frustrating thing is that I CAN ping my MDA from my laptop and vice versa...  That works, but I can't connect to my laptop using any programs either by my laptop's name or by it's IP address.

I've tried enabling NetBIOS under the WINS tab in my Wireless card's TCP/IP settings like it has been suggested in various places, but that did nothing.

Help?  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest LazyDan

Tried that, like I said, nothing comes up - yet WiFi settings says I'm connected to my wireless network and it gets an IP address, and my laptop and phone can ping each other.

Also, everything is set to 'My work network.'

Guest Terrapin

I had exactly the same problem. Turns out that I had to enable/set up a guest account on XP in order to allow my shared folders to be seen by my Vario. Give that a try. Oh, and I have yet to have the built in file explorer work browsing network shares, total commander works a treat though.

Also make sure that the obvious things are done i.e. actually sharing some stuff. Try putting in the computer name in the form //computername in total commander too, might work better than the ip address, you never know.

Guest techdave

Have you tried browsing via Pocket Internet Explorer? Thats how i browse to the shared folders on my pc from my XDA. For example, in the address bar i put '\\P4C800' (without quotes) and it brings up my shared folders in file explorer.

Guest LazyDan

Thanks Terrapin and techdave - still no joy. I'm using XP home (SP2) and have the guest account enabled, and I've got a tonne of shared folders in various different locations on my hard disk. Whenever I try something or find a method that might work, I always try it in File Explorer, Total Commander and Resco, and so far I've had absolutely no luck with any of them. I also always try with both the IP address and the computer name.

Also, I tried browsing to my computer name in Pocket Internet Explorer and 'Network path could not be found' yadda yadda :)

I'm now looking for software that will replace the file sharing, because WiFitunes spots my laptop's iTunes and connects, and I've had a few remote-control apps working (like PPC tablet,) so I've figured out that I can use any program that hosts itself on my laptop coupled with a client on my PocketPC that connects by either automatically discovering, or connecting to an IP address. (I.e iTunes is the host on my laptop, and WiFitunes is the client that connects to it from my PPC.)

Any suggestions for programs with that setup that will let me share files, or at the very least play music/video on my PPC from my laptop? I've tried Windows Media Encoder, but that just streams what your computer is playing (no control,) and it wouldn't connect through Pocket Internet Explorer anyway.

Guest LazyDan

Nope, no firewalls.

My friend couldn't get his XDAii to connect to my shares via wireless either, so I think I've narrowed it down to my PC or my WiFi card. I'm about to reformat and upgrade to XP Pro and see if that helps.

• 1 month later...

Just wondering if you had got anywhere with this ?

Got my vario today, and even with Rosco, I can only see one PC on the network, but I can't browse it or see anything other than :

- Computers near me

+ MAIN

Clickig on MAIN just gives : Cannot connect shared path. The network path was not found.

Other PC's on my network, plus the xbox, can access it fine.

I have tried with Guest access on and off ;)

Guest Drewtech

I have no problem browsing with File Explorer on my home network running a Windows 2003 domain. I put my DNS server into the network settings and can use name resolution with no problems.

Try pinging the Vario from your PC to see if it can see it. Then try connecting to the PC using the PC's IP address rather than its name.

Edited by Drewtech

I can access my webservers on the main system from the vario without a problem, it's just file sharing - I can only see one of the networked PC's listed, and no folders.

I run Windows XP Home, smd use a workgroup rather than domains, not sure what difference that makes :D

All other PC's on the network see the shares on each other fine, it's just the Vario that's got me tearing my hair out ;)

Just tried pinging, and I just get request timed out

Edited by fatgit

Guest MitchellO

I only ever got it to work using Total Commander. File Explorer wouldn't browse the network, and WMP wouldn't receive a streaming video from my desktop. Never figured out why ;)

Well, it now works using Resco File Explorer, where it wouldn't before. I have absolutely no idea why, or what I did - all I did was keep trying different settings on the vario networking rather blindly ;)

Guest mupwangle

>>I run Windows XP Home, smd use a workgroup rather than domains, not sure what difference that makes

None. Domain accounts are for networks with servers. Workgroups are standalone but networkable. Home's got less network functionality than pro but that shouldn't make a difference.

Most file sharing issues I've seen seem to stem from XP (whether on PCs, phones or other devices). XP is horrendous for making file sharing difficult. Do a quick search on google for windows xp file sharing instructions and you should get somewhere. From memory you have to enable at least 2 different things to let it work. One is file and printer sharing (in network properties) but there are others that I can't remember. Usually I don't bother and use 2000. ;-D

Guest Drewtech

You should be able to get to folders without them being set up for sharing by using a full path. The path should be \\pcname\C$ to get the route of the C drive. You may have to use the IP address rather than the pc name so it would be \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\c$

You can replace the C$ withother drives if you have disks with other drive letters

Guest mupwangle

The UNC path method is a legacy NETBIOS thing so if file and printer sharing (which is based on NETBIOS) is disabled then this won't work.

Out of the box XP blocks the administrative shares (C$,etc) without changing security settings unless you are a member of a domain.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back to square one again, unable to browse the network :)

In Resco File Explorer, I click Map Drive, and it searches and finds MAIN (but only MAIN), trying to open the MAIN branch reports "Cannot connect shared path. The network path was not found"

The xbox, laptop & 2 other PC's can see the shared folders without a problem.

I can ping the phone from the PCs on the network, and I can also access the webserver on the PC with the shares via IE on the phone.

Could someone that has this working please let me know what settings they have for wireless on the phone, and also for network adapters, such as :

"Select which networks are automatically used" in Settings/connections/advanced/select networks

and settings in : Settings/network cards/wireless and network adapters

Any additional help would be appreciated, as I've read countless pages on windows networking whilst trying to solve the issue, and have no idea why it works now & then :D