O2 Active

Guest soup dragon

Guest soup dragon

Hi.

Yesterday I changed over from Orange to O2 (better deal and better reception in my area) and picked up an XDA mini.

As usuall when I first booted up it loaded a lot of extra applications which I'm unsure I really want on there. One of the main ones seems to be O2 Active which seems to run the Today screen (??). Does anybody know if I can disable this so that I can have a simpler and FASTER today screen as it seems to take a little while to rotate.

Guest brykins
Yesterday I changed over from Orange to O2 (better deal and better reception in my area) and picked up an XDA mini.

As usuall when I first booted up it loaded a lot of extra applications which I'm unsure I really want on there.  One of the main ones seems to be O2 Active which seems to run the Today screen (??).  Does anybody know if I can disable this so that I can have a simpler and FASTER today screen as it seems to take a little while to rotate.

Haven't got mine yet (it's on the DHL truck and being delivered today) but if it's like the my MDA Compact then when you do a hard reset you run through the screen alignment, the copy and paste thing and then it'll say something along the lines of "customising your phone in five seconds" or so. Do a soft reset during that time and none of the O2 stuff will get installed.

Guest jbeynon

I did the same thing last week, now I have a tasty new mini s and ported my number over from orange in just over a week!!

After the screen align etc it prompts the type of install, just choose personal or basic (forget what the option is) and you don't get the nasty 02 active homepage thing...screen rotation is a snap without it!

john

Hi.

As usuall when I first booted up it loaded a lot of extra applications which I'm unsure I really want on there.  One of the main ones seems to be O2 Active which seems to run the Today screen (??).  Does anybody know if I can disable this so that I can have a simpler and FASTER today screen as it seems to take a little while to rotate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest soup dragon
I did the same thing last week, now I have a tasty new mini s and ported my number over from orange in just over a week!!

After the screen align etc it prompts the type of install, just choose personal or basic (forget what the option is) and you don't get the nasty 02 active homepage thing...screen rotation is a snap without it!

john

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great stuff. Thanks guys. I did a hard reset and then soft reset after aligning the screen and I now have a fast clean screen that I can actually use. Why O2 think it's a good idea to create an app that slows down the hardset is beyond me.

Great stuff.  Thanks guys.  I did a hard reset and then soft reset after aligning the screen and I now have a fast clean screen that I can actually use.  Why O2 think it's a good idea to create an app that slows down the hardset is beyond me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For some strange reason they seem to think ppl want the today screen on their phone....

rgs

Jim

i did this aswell,

i had my phone for a week, wasn't really using it much coz i was still waiting for my number to get transfered across,

i was very close to sending my mini back,

the main thing that was annoying me was the fact that when i clicked on the call button it just froze up, so i had to restart the phone everytime i wanted to make a call.

i got rid of all the o2 active stuff works perfectly now, not had to restart it once.

Guest mass_ive

i have noticed, if you dont want to go down the reset route, if you open the keypad and hold shift and 1 it turns of the O2 menu on the main screen off. This seemed to fix lots of problems that mine had. Have to do it if you turn off and on again but its very little hassle

Edited by mass_ive

Guest cmaurer

Hi All,

Just got my xda mini and was having the same problems as above but did the whole 'hold shift and 1' thing and it fixed the problem, got rid of that O2 active thing.

Thanks for the info.

Guest jacksona

Easiest way to disable the O2 Active rubbish is just to remove the EXE file from \Windows\Startup directory. That way you still get all of the proper MMS & GPRS settings & the nicer O2 phone keypad, etc...

Merry Xmas to everyone here!

Adam.

;)

Guest RichardD
Easiest way to disable the O2 Active rubbish is just to remove the EXE file from \Windows\Startup directory.  That way you still get all of the proper MMS & GPRS settings & the nicer O2 phone keypad, etc...

I tried this and it didn't seem to remove the Active stuff, well, the icon at the top was still there.

Edited by RichardD

Guest jacksona
I tried this and it didn't seem to remove the Active stuff, well, the icon at the top was still there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's another EXE... I believe it's called CONNECTIONS.EXE. No idea what it does, apart from the o2 icon at the top of the screen...

Adam.

Guest mattgod69
There's another EXE...  I believe it's called CONNECTIONS.EXE.  No idea what it does, apart from the o2 icon at the top of the screen...

Adam.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to the manual the Corporate option does not install any o2 settings or enhancements. Has anyone tried this? Cheers in advance.....

Guest bsterngillet
According to the manual the Corporate option does not install any o2 settings or enhancements.  Has anyone tried this?  Cheers in advance.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep. Did it on mine and works an absolute treat.

• 4 weeks later...

A corporate install and then deleting the O2 entries in "\Windows\StartUp" worked for me. All the necessary O2 stuff (MMS, GPRS settings, etc.) with none of the crap.