SPV C600 wifi update

Guest iwilliams

Guest iwilliams

Just got off the phone with a friend....

He has a 4000 user base of orange phones at his company and just spoke to his orange CS. They have ordered 10 C600 for testing

and asked about the lack of wi-fi. The lady from orange has informed him that a wifi update will be release anytime now, allowing wifi...

But isnt going to be released from Orange but some third party who have patched the phone...

I dont know any more as yet, But will try and get the web link or more information today or tomorrow.

Mean time I told him to get back on the phone to her and ask more questions...

Just got off the phone with a friend....

He has a 4000 user base of orange phones at his company and just spoke to his orange CS. They have ordered 10 C600 for testing

and asked about the lack of wi-fi. The lady from orange has informed him that a wifi update will be release anytime now, allowing wifi...

But isnt going to be released from Orange but some third party who have patched the phone...

I dont know any more as yet, But will try and get the web link or more information today or tomorrow.

Mean time I told him to get back on the phone to her and ask more questions...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what i understand (what people have said on the forum) the C600 doesn't have any Wifi hardware, so a patch would have no effect on enabling wifi..

Guest Zone-MR
Agree, but who has said the wifi hardware has been removed??

Well, it would have been a pretty dumb move for Orange to install Wi-Fi modules in all their phones, reducing their profit by at least £10 PER PHONE, and then subsequently not bothering to enable the functionality!

Edited by Zone-MR

I would be VERY surprised if this is the case ... pleasently so!

I don't trust what O say unfortunately, not after they told me the M500 had wifi built in as standard.

I suspect if your friend asks three different O reps they will get three very different answers!

Guest shadamehr
Agree, but who has said the wifi hardware has been removed??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Everyone.

Else, why disable something, that can be shipped ENABLED, as per the SP5, then LATER, after lost sales for those not happy, PAY a THIRD PARTY company, to re-enable what could have shipped already enabled...

Doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

Orange once again talking there usual utter b*llox mate.

It will take more than a piece of software code (that could have been in from the outset, as it's BUILT IN to WM5.0 - did you not know that?), to enable wi-fi on a device without wi-fi HARDWARE.

Let me be clear - why the need for additional later code, for something WM5.0 can handle natively mate?

The only thing missing on the C600 is NOT code... it's hardware.

WM5.0 handles the wi-fi natively.

somethings are disabled by the operators a good example in the uk is the sony sky digibox this has dolby digital 5.1 built in but is disabled as the menu only has stereo option and not the dolby option.

so you never know , but would not count on it in the C600 case :?:

Guest iwilliams

Intel used to make the 486DX and 486SX

One had a math co-pro and the SX didnt. But the SX was built like the DX but then had the maths co-pro burnt out or disabled.

It was to much money to build a new design for the SX but cheaper to build all of them as DX and then afterwards disable the feature.

HTC make the phones right ???

Orange just buy them from HTC and I guess comes with wifi...

Its just not be enabled

I could be wrong.

But sometimes its not just about common sense and its cheaper to build stuff without these features..its sometimes about the market area the kit is going into.

This is way Intel once built the DX and SX..You would buy the SX and at a later date buy a bolt-on maths co-pro...simple marketing

This is enough.

Read and absorb:

C600 DOES NOT HAVE WIFI, NEVER HAS NOR WILL IT EVER. ORANGE SUCK.

Imate SP5m and Orange M5000 (I believe) as well as the O2 exec device has wifi, i believe.

I know for a fact SP5m and SP5 HAS WIFI.

orange are being big headed and fussy and just love throwing customers about all over the place, the C600 hasnt been released or it has but no orange retail stores are aware of it apperently, and I know that from my running around for the past 4 months.

yes orange C600 has been released, so they say but is it in orange retail? who knows. I hear different stories and everytime I go in the store, they are like "er... no its not been released"

C600 DOES NOT HAVE HARDWARE WIFI. they said this, and from my experience I never trust orange anymore - but I have been reading it from forums as well as discussing it with colleagues at work and our Orange business relations/partnership

away from that....

Imate SP5/m is the exact same, with a few differences i believe, as C600 BUT BETTER. IT HAS WIFI and WM5 (I believe C600 has this)

Edited by Tech

Guest shadamehr
Intel used to make the 486DX and 486SX

One had a math co-pro and the SX didnt. But the SX was built like the DX but then had the maths co-pro burnt out or disabled.

It was to much money to build a new design for the SX but cheaper to build all of them as DX and then afterwards disable the feature.

HTC make the phones right ???

Orange just buy them from HTC and I guess comes with wifi...

Its just not be enabled

I could be wrong.

But sometimes its not  just about common sense and its cheaper to build stuff without these features..its sometimes about the market area the kit is going into.

This is way Intel once built the DX and SX..You would buy the SX and at a later date buy a bolt-on maths co-pro...simple marketing

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That story is not an exact reporting of the events.

Guest iwilliams
This is enough.

Read and absorb:

C600 DOES NOT HAVE WIFI, NEVER HAS NOR WILL IT EVER. ORANGE SUCK.

Imate SP5m and Orange M5000 (I believe) as well as the O2 exec device has wifi, i believe.

I know for a fact SP5m and SP5 HAS WIFI.

orange are being big headed and fussy and just love throwing customers about all over the place, the C600 hasnt been released or it has but no orange retail stores are aware of it apperently, and I know that from my running around for the past 4 months.

yes orange C600 has been released, so they say but is it in orange retail? who knows. I hear different stories and everytime I go in the store, they are like "er... no its not been released"

C600 DOES NOT HAVE HARDWARE WIFI. they said this, and from my experience I never trust orange anymore - but I have been reading it from forums as well as discussing it with colleagues at work and our Orange business relations/partnership

away from that....

Imate SP5/m is the exact same, with a few differences i believe, as C600 BUT BETTER. IT HAS WIFI and WM5 (I believe C600 has this)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is a public forum and people can speak and view there findings...right?

So where do you get off telling me " this is enough!!!!!!"

I am only passing on what I was told...I dont know how true this is ?

But comments like that not belong here

you took it the wrong way

im just stating that "is enough" is pretty much because there are alot of people who say one thing, someone says another and what not. your not different, nor am I

if you dont like it... dont read it! :D

but i am just clearly stating the CORRECT facts, thats all! ;) Think you took it the wrong way im afraid

merry xmas

Edited by Tech

Guest iwilliams
Dont fall out boy's

Lets just say:

Its very doughtfull, but it is xmas, and Santa might be good to us  :D  :D

Miracles do sometimes happen

Seasons Greetings

Rik

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok sorry

Merry Christmas all! ;)

Guest shadamehr
Why?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cos THREE 486 machines I had - my first ever PC's, did NOT work in the manner you said - they did not have any additional FPU/co-processor chip in at all.

Your story says they were in but just disabled.

Not on three that I had they weren't.

I don't think my mate's did either, if I recall correct.

That's all I menat - so they DIDN'T all have the hardware in, but with it just burned out...

Some maybe - sure... but ALL?

Nope.

HTH

Guest iwilliams
Cos THREE 486 machines I had - my first ever PC's, did NOT work in the manner you said - they did not have any additional FPU/co-processor chip in at all.

Your story says they were in but just disabled.

Not on three that I had they weren't.

I don't think my mate's did either, if I recall correct.

That's all I menat - so they DIDN'T all have the hardware in, but with it just burned out...

Some maybe - sure... but ALL?

Nope.

HTH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The 486DX and 486SX were made the same . The SX was burnt so disabling the maths co -pro. This was done because it was cheaper to make all DX style chips with it installed and then burn it out. NOT design a completety new chip for the SX range.

Why not then just sell the DX and why did the SX ever sell?? Because of marketing, people could have the option of buying a cheaper chip and adding a maths co-pro at a later date.

I am not sure about other chips made from Intel but the 486DX and 486SX did work like this be because thats when I worked for Intel.

The point of this post is, could HTC and Orange be doing a similar thing?

The phone is made complete and the wifi burnt out or just software disabled?

Has anyone taken a IMATE SP5 and C600 apart and compared hardware?

where is the WIFI module and is it missing from the circuit board of the C600?

I have not heard anything back from my mate yet, but this could be due to Christmas break. If I hear anything more I will update this forum.

Guest vwilsonuk

Anyone want to join me in betting that by the time this mysterious third party software vendor doesn't deliver the "wifi patch", this company will be out of the period where they can choose not to adopt the phones.

Guest shadamehr
The 486DX and 486SX were made the same . The SX was burnt so disabling the maths co -pro. This was done because it was cheaper to make all DX style chips with it installed and then burn it out. NOT design a completety new chip for the SX range.

Why not then just sell the DX and why did the SX ever sell?? Because of marketing, people could have the option of buying a cheaper chip and adding a maths co-pro at a later date.

I am not sure about other chips made from Intel but the 486DX and 486SX did work like this be because thats when I worked for Intel.

The point of this  post is, could HTC and Orange be doing a similar thing?

The phone is made complete and the wifi burnt out or just software disabled?

Has anyone taken a IMATE SP5 and C600 apart and compared hardware?

where is the WIFI module and is it missing from the circuit board of the C600?

I have not heard anything back from my mate yet, but this could be due to Christmas break. If I hear anything more I will update this forum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seems you have took my post, and 'ignored' everything i said in it.

To clarify.

I did NOT say "has it in but burnt out" - YOU did.

I said "My three, plus my mates, did not have it in at all".

So if by "not having one in at all" you mean disabled, why then sure...

Please, whether you worked for Intel or not - i can only tell you what mine were like.

Guest Zone-MR

The 486 SX/DX analogy does not hold up.

Firstly, in the case of the 486 chips, since the silicon size required for the DX chips was not significantly larger, the costs associated with the added functionallity were negligable. By offering a lower-class CPU with the extra functionallity intentionally disabled, Intel could scrounge some cash from people who couldn't afford the full-blown DX chip.

In the case of the C600, adding a wi-fi radio and antenna cannot be done at almost no cost. Unlike the 486, the extra modules are not fully integrated into other chips. Even if HTC/Orange didn't want to create a seperate design for tornado variants without Wi-Fi, they could have simply not soldered in the unneccessary components. Also, since Orange does not offer a higher-end C600 equivelant WITH wi-fi, it makes no sense whatsoever from a marketting perspective to disable a module which could be enabled free-of-charge - it simply drives people who need Wi-Fi to buy competing phones such as the SP5 or 8310.

Face it - the C600 does not have a Wi-Fi module. Either that, or Orange engineers and marketting guys are totally incompetent.

Edited by Zone-MR

Guest Kallisti
Face it - the C600 does not have a Wi-Fi module. Either that, or Orange engineers and marketting guys are totally incompetent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do you mean "or"?

Guest iwilliams
The 486 SX/DX analogy does not hold up.

Firstly, in the case of the 486 chips, since the silicon size required for the DX chips was not significantly larger, the costs associated with the added functionallity were negligable. By offering a lower-class CPU with the extra functionallity intentionally disabled, Intel could scrounge some cash from people who couldn't afford the full-blown DX chip.

In the case of the C600, adding a wi-fi radio and antenna cannot be done at almost no cost. Unlike the 486, the extra modules are not fully integrated into other chips. Even if HTC/Orange didn't want to create a seperate design for tornado variants without Wi-Fi, they could have simply not soldered in the unneccessary components. Also, since Orange does not offer a higher-end C600 equivelant WITH wi-fi, it makes no sense whatsoever from a marketting perspective to disable a module which could be enabled free-of-charge - it simply drives people who need Wi-Fi to buy competing phones such as the SP5 or 8310.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your missing the point of my post.

I agree with what your saying and I wouldnt think the wifi module was in the C600

But nobody has answered the question ....has anyone compared the 2 phones to see if the hardware is missing???

The intel analogy wasnt about cost and how wifi costs more than a chip, just the fact manufactors do crazy things somethimes when based on cost or marketing

*sigh*

firstly, the 486 has nothing to do with the C600 - i know its an example used but i can also confirm that the SX/DX did not have the "oh, lets disable that feature for marketing purposes" scenario.

C600 does NOT have wifi built in hardware, the update may work but it wont make a non existant hardware exist!

Everyone is saying C600 does not have wifi, and i agree and have asked hence why most of the ppl bought a SP5m as it has everything a C600 has plus wifi and more.

I have phoned up orange and they say that there is no wifi on C600.

try it, see what happens.

from the experts I spoke to from colleagues and mates who have a C600 - there is no wifi - they have said it and i have had a look too!

not only this, if they say to us that oh there is no wifi then later they say "ah yes, there is" - not only do they not know what the hell they are talking about, but it is against the law to sell a product that does not have what they stated!

Edited by Tech