Are these PPCs and Smartphone still fun?

Guest dolphinsmile

Guest dolphinsmile

AAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhh.

Do you ever feel like you’ve overdosed on these PPC and Smartphones?

I’m really board of them now and never really use the M5000. Orange doesn’t help by not having any fun content on the Orange world. The knowledge of their staff is dropping. The phone trainers in shop know nothing about the M5000 or the C600 and when I phone them I have to talk them through things. Newsbreak is the only program I use now. I need something more before I loose interest forever.

Any sensible suggestions? :??:

Guest Drewtech

I don't know if they have ever really been all that fun but I have had some form of PDA and some form of mobile phone for over 10 years. 12 months ago I got a C500 and was able to get rid of my PPC although it wasn't perfect it did most of what I need (phone, diary, contacts, tasks, internet to check the soccer scores, secure database of passwords, guitar tuner, GPS, Music player and one or two others). I have now just got an MDA Vario and the larger screen plus keyboard mean that it goes that little bit further than the C500 could and I have very close to the perfect tool.

I am very happy with my PPC Phone whether it is fun or not.

Guest dolphinsmile

Maybe fun is the wrong word lets try, exciting! I’ve had a C500 for 16 months and the M5000 for 2. The C500 knocked my socks off when I first took charge of it and then it held my interest up until now. I would check out the boards at Modaco every day almost. Installing software left and right but there doesn’t seem any point to it now. Its all got a bit dull. I never really rely on it for anything and I never really found the M5000 to be a laptop replacement. Perhaps I need to lay off the smartphones/PPC for a few generations, come back in a few years. My sudden lose of interest has left just a little hole in my life. There are lots of things to fill it but I’m a wee bit miffed that I don’t enjoy it anymore. Guitar tuner? Where did you get that from?

Guest afhstingray

well after the initial craze of getting a new toy died down, I focuss more on the functionality,mainly because I did buy these devices as tools rather than anything else.

Guest PhiL P

I'm still finding my Xda Exec exciting - have just discovered the uses of the Terminal Services Client and also borrowed my bro's bluetooth GPS receiver and gave it a spin as a sat-nav in the car - brilliant! ;)

What's not so exciting are all the marks on the casing surrounding the screen from it's contact with the keypad when closed, and also the ongoing worry of whether the hinge is getting looser with use.. :|

Still at the end of the day I did also buy mine for it's functionality which is pretty good overall - if only the built-in calendar and Active(un)sync weren't so shoddy!

Edited by PhiL P

Guest Pondrew

Speaking of which, can I have my bluetooth GPS back please bro? Just kidding! I know it's around here somewhere! :D ;)

Anyway, I'd say part of the problem at the moment is the lack of software compatible with WM5. Once the new operating system has been around a while things should get better but for now it seems that the way WM5 works is preventing the developers from using their existing knowledge and/or development tools.

I get the impression from the brains on here that it's the graphics implementation that has changed but whatever it is it seems to be a bigger hurdle then previous major version changes (from Pocket PC 2002 to Windows Mobile 2003 for example).

Guest Confucious

In answer to the original question - YES :D

Apart from Sat Nav and all the other programs I had on my C500 (which was a lovely phone) I now find with the Exec that it is useable for the internet, the screen size and res together with 3G means I now have the internet in my pocket, available all the time (I'm with Orange who's coverage is far better than O2's)

Being the sad person that I am I like that ;)

:D >

Edited by Pondrew