NOOOOO! I cracked my screen... :(

Guest PhiL P

Guest PhiL P

Well it's happened - despite using both a screen protector and hard case with my PSP it is now sporting a nice crack across most of the length of the screen. :cry:

Was at a friends house with it and had left it on the sofa. Went to put it away when I fumbled picking it up and it slipped off the front of the sofa and fell a foot onto the wooden floor. Since there was not a mark on it I picked it up and though "phew that was stupid" then turned it on to discover the ruined screen..... :shock:

After a bit of research it seems I can source a new replacement Sharp LCD screen for as little as £30 from HK or £40 from the UK, but despite having found some instructions on the web as to how to remove the screen, it doesn't look like the easiest task. Alternatively I could pay to have the whole thing done by someone else for ~£70. Either way it will void my remaining warranty (~9 months) since one of the case screws is under the PSP Void warranty sticker that is at the lower side of the battery compartment.

Since it is actually still eminently playable (actually had a still fully enjoyable session of Burnout the same night I returned from my mate's with the cracked screen) I'm actually tempted just to keep it as is, since I'm both currently broke and scared of bodging it!

What amazes me is how easily the screen broke - as I said it only dropped a foot onto wood and there isn't a mark on the casing! Let this be a warning to you all!!

Guest fluffcat1

Sell it on ebay and buy another? I got a 2nd hand UK psp 1003 for £100 with all accesories from a local 2nd hand shop recently, yet broken on ebay they get upto £70 - £80!

Richard

Guest Pondrew

Bad luck bro. You must feel sick as a dog at the moment. I've dropped the MDA III a number of times and alway have my heart in my mouth on checking for damage ;)

Guest PhiL P
House insurance???

Good idea, however I'd have to pay £60 excess and strongly suspect that if they replaced it I'd end up with a FW 2.01+ which would mean bye-bye homebrew.. ;)

Guest PhiL P
I would agree if I knew what a FW 2.01+ was ;) :D

Yes sorry - as amo said I meant firmware v2.01 or higher from which there's currently no way to launch homebrew apps so it'd be goodbye to my SNES & Megadrive emulators to name but two.. :D

Edited by PhiL P

Guest fluffcat1
buy yourelf a replacement screen....

From their site:

Usually despatched in 7-14 days

View delivery details

Pricing

Only £54.95

£46.77 ex. VAT

So not only do they not list *which* screen it is ( sharp or samsung) they don't actually stock any! 7 - 14 days is the average time from China anyway so they're just drop-shipping and they are cheaper on ebay.

O.P has already found cheaper sources anyway.

After a bit of research it seems I can source a new replacement Sharp LCD screen for as little as £30 from HK or £40 from the UK. Alternatively I could pay to have the whole thing done by someone else for ~£70.

Richard