'Total Storage' amount incorrect?

Guest mrelysium

Guest mrelysium

Hello,

I've just upgraded my SPV C500 to an SPV C600 but the phone keeps telling me that i'm running low on storage space.

If I go to the 'Settings->About' menu, I get the following details:

blah blah blah...

Available Storage: 1.05 MB

Total Storage: 16.94 MB

Available Memory: 25.28 MB

Total Memory: 45.05 MB

blah blah blah...

The phone specs i've seen stated that the C600 has 64Mb of onboard storage so I'm wondering if there's something wrong?

I've done a hard reset and used the 'Clear Storage' option hoping that it might free up some space (bit of a long shot I know) but afterwards I end up with about 11Mb used and 6Mb free. Once i've synced with my PC and installed a few themes, sounds etc it soon dissapears.

My C500 reports a Total Storage of 27.98Mb and so it would seem unlikely that the C600 would have less than the C500 so i'm wondering if something is wrong.

I know there's the mini-sd card for storage too, but if you want to install cab files via activesync, it appears that you need enough free space on the device to allow it to temporarily copy the cab file across before it can unpack and install it.

Can anyone else with a C600/C550/C500 have a look and see what their phone says?!

Any ideas appreciated.

Guest rsearley
Hello,

I've just upgraded my SPV C500 to an SPV C600 but the phone keeps telling me that i'm running low on storage space.

blah blah blah...

blah blah blah...

The phone specs i've seen stated that the C600 has 64Mb of onboard storage so I'm wondering if there's something wrong?

I've done a hard reset and used the 'Clear Storage' option hoping that it might free up some space (bit of a long shot I know) but afterwards I end up with about 11Mb used and 6Mb free. Once i've synced with my PC and installed a few themes, sounds etc it soon dissapears.

My C500 reports a Total Storage of 27.98Mb and so it would seem unlikely that the C600 would have less than the C500 so i'm wondering if something is wrong.

I know there's the mini-sd card for storage too, but if you want to install cab files via activesync, it appears that you need enough free space on the device to allow it to temporarily copy the cab file across before it can unpack and install it.

Can anyone else with a C600/C550/C500 have a look and see what their phone says?!

Any ideas appreciated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Out of the available space on the device about 45mb is reserved to run programs is like the ram on your pc, the rest is available for files storage (not much)

best bet is to instal a memory card, and install most things to that, and only have items you can not install to a card on the phone!

Hello,

I've just upgraded my SPV C500 to an SPV C600 but the phone keeps telling me that I'm running low on storage space.

blah blah blah...

blah blah blah...

The phone specs I've seen stated that the C600 has 64Mb of on-board storage so I'm wondering if there's something wrong?

I've done a hard reset and used the 'Clear Storage' option hoping that it might free up some space (bit of a long shot I know) but afterwards I end up with about 11Mb used and 6Mb free. Once I've synced with my PC and installed a few themes, sounds etc it soon disappears.

My C500 reports a Total Storage of 27.98Mb and so it would seem unlikely that the C600 would have less than the C500 so I'm wondering if something is wrong.

I know there's the mini-SD card for storage too, but if you want to install cab files via activesync, it appears that you need enough free space on the device to allow it to temporarily copy the cab file across before it can unpack and install it.

Any ideas appreciated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello mrelysium,

On my SPV C500 in Memory Information:

Total Memory: 23.08 MB

Storage Memory: 1.46 MB

Used: 666.91 KB

Free: 825.09 KB

Program Memory: 21.62MB

Used: 14.76MB

Free: 6.86MB

Flash Information

Storage (Flash): 27.98MB

Used: 7.12MB

Free: 20.87MB

And I have got a 1GB Mini SD card with Programs on Which do not need to be on the phone Storage.

I Hope that Helps

Guest mrelysium
Out of the available space on the device about 45mb is reserved to run programs is like the ram on your pc, the rest is available for files storage (not much)

best bet is to instal a memory card, and install most things to that, and only have items you can not install to a card on the phone!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the replies!

Maybe i'm being really stupid but here's what I don't get...

The phone has 64Mb RAM and 64Mb of Flash (According to System Information), so why doesn't the 'Total Storage' equal 64Mb and 'Total Memory' equal 64Mb? Surely the RAM is for use by running processes and the Flash is for storage?

I guess i'll just have to delete some stuff, but there's a thread about problem like this on the SP5 which appeared to be fixed with a firmware upgrade so I was hoping that something similar might exist for the C600, but I guess not!

Thanks for the help.

Guest Jadugarr

Is there a way to increase the size reserved for storage, while decreasing the size of the memory (RAM) ?

On my SPV C600, I have 1-2 MB free for storage, although I haven't installed anything on the phone since I bought it.

The amount of memory available when there is no application started is about 25 MB. Does Windows Mobile 5 use 20 MB of RAM ?