Want one of these?

Guest Samsonite

Guest Samsonite

Whilst idling surfing a Wap site i keep tabs on, i stumbled across this... The vid is not the best quality but listen to what the man says... and then catch the price!!!

want one?

edit: ok then...how do i put a 3gp file in this post?

Edited by Samsonite

Guest Samsonite

ok.... no one helped but i think you'll still want to know about this so here's the tech spec...

Dual processor - dual OS mini PC

1.5GHz AND 400MHz processors

Windows XP and Windows Mobile 5 running instantly - switchable with a touch of the 5" touchscreen.

Standby time of days on the WM5 setting.

all for $1500 and shipping in March

if anyone wants to see the 3gp movie, let me know. Its only 150k...

Guest Samsonite
...yes please...

Cheers

Nick

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks for the tip awarner

Tigernet, here 'tis... like i said, not good quality. someone must have phonevideo'd it at the CES or sumthing...

dcore.zip

Guest Samsonite
OK, I saw a human (I think) holding a black box with a coloured screen.  Anything more than that would be speculation on my part.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

agreed its not the best clip but the audio describes the unit... not even a little bit curious from that? its from a company called dualcor.. ive just googled them and come up with this...

http://www.dualcor.com/010406press.php

real enuff? ;)

Edited by Samsonite

Guest chucky.egg

Er, I guess still mildly curious.

The website is much clearer (obviously)

I can see it being a good form-factor for some people, but I suspect it'll be to "techy" for your average user, and can you imagine trying to talk someone through a support problem when neither you or they know what OS they're using?

Guest Samsonite

i just think that coupled with a blutoof headset, it should mean i can do without the laptop and Magician completely. I cant see any network taking it on at all but it would be nice if Dixons bought a few...

Edited by Samsonite

Guest hunyango_uk

nice piece of tech, 2 device in one is a very good idea. compact, very handy, big storage w/ 40gb. 2 processors, 2 os. but you have to pay for it. this is going to be a new toy for those rich people, and i'm not one of them. :D

on being practical , think i'll stay w/ a separate notebook computer and wm phone. the notebook computer is huge compare to this beast(dualcor cpc), but versatile and can do so much things just like a desktop, w/c i think the dualcor cpc cannot match.

though, i wish i can have one. ;)

Looks like vapourware to me, look at the "photos" on the web site, look total photoshop to me. And the specs are a bit positive, 1gb DDR2, 1gb flash (??), 40Gb harddrive, 100's of hours of standby, instant boot, i believe it when i see it :-D

Guest adchaffey
Looks like vapourware to me, look at the "photos" on the web site, look total photoshop to me. And the specs are a bit positive, 1gb DDR2, 1gb flash (??), 40Gb harddrive, 100's of hours of standby, instant boot, i believe it when i see it :-D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is it really necessary to run WM5 AND Windows XP on a single unit??? Surely it would be much better for the consumer to simply have some phone applications or something built in to windows XP. Whats the point in having a unit possibly with the full XP Office Suite installed on the XP OS and then the basic WM5 contacts, excel, word etc....??

Theres a lot of duplicated effortgoing on there, plus for $1500 I can hardly beleive that spec I'm afriad.

Guest nevawlkalone
Is it really necessary to run WM5 AND Windows XP on a single unit??? Surely it would be much better for the consumer to simply have some phone applications or something built in to windows XP. Whats the point in having a unit possibly with the full XP Office Suite installed on the XP OS and then the basic WM5 contacts, excel, word etc....??

Theres a lot of duplicated effortgoing on there, plus for $1500 I can hardly beleive that spec I'm afriad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mabe.... but if it good for it...I WANT ONE LMAO it would be really cool though.

Guest hunyango_uk

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you made a very good point. ;)

Guest Samsonite

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i have to agree... but maybe to get the full GSM capability, it was easier to bang on the OS that caters for that side of the functionality rather than get involved with GSM application stuff for XP.

1500 bucks... thats about a grand of proper money innit? hope it isnt a figment of photoshops imagination...

Guest adchaffey
you made a very good point. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. Watch this become the most popular gadget on earth in the next few months just to rub it in my face though!! :oops:

Guest jthspace

There is an article about this in this months edition of PC Pro (UK). They show a better picture and some details. They state March as a delivery, at USD 1500. Has two operating systems to prolong battery life, use Mobile and it is many hours, use tablet and it is much shorter. Give flexibility when on the move.

I have converted a few DVD's to avi to play on my C550 and I am amazed at the battery life. On my SPV 2000 (PPC) the battery is complaining after one film. I have watched two films on the C550 and the battery was still OK. I use lathe.exe (paid upgrade of PocketDiv.exe) and watching DVD's on this new gadget ight mean a few movies before recharging. Boon for travelling.

It's a gadget, want one. See also OQO for a cool tablet PC (USD 2,000) and onsale in the UK now at http://www.expansys.com/p_oqo.asp

Jeff

Edited by jthspace

Guest Confused Stu

OK, they've listed every spec you could imagine, except the most important 2 for any hand-held device:

- How easy is to make women go "oooo" and talk to me when they see it?

- How well does it bounce?

I am pleased to say my latest toy (the virtual keyboard) does very well on both counts and cost much less than this dual-core thing! ;)

OK, I admit - I still want one of these DualCor toys. It's not fair!!! :D

Guest bennish

This looks quite impressive. I'm assuming that the wm5 calendar would be linked directly with the xp outlook though... so you can access all data from either os.

I would spend the time i normally spend on my laptop, on this device. And if i want to send an sms, or call someone, i can use wm5. Wm5 is quicker to use, but then XP is more powerful, so you'd end up using both.

I wonder what the processor specs are. is it a dual core processor or are there two processors? 400mhz, is that just the same performance as the jam/eten, or is that a low clock speed with nice features like the ti omap? Either way i'd be interested. Only problem is size. Foldable bendable screens coming out in a few years might make that a little better ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest pookiecheeks

hello people,

ok, i admit. the dualcor cpc looks all very shiny, new and impressive(top pic)...

..but, this is more the product i'm after(lower pic). it just needs a few tweaks here and there... a better keyboard, a built in mobile phone and a mega pixel camera... but i'm sure they'll come eventually.

as more and more of these type of products are coming onto the market, will stand alone mobile phones, or stand alone pocket pcs, or even stand alone portable game consoles be a thing of the past ?

what i really want is the screen size of the oqo, and features of both the oqo and the dualcor cpc, in a unit the size of a modern day 'flip' phone. what ever happend to bendable/foldable/flexible screens ? was i just dreaming that ?

pookiecheeks

ps. sorry, i tried to put the images between the paragraphs but i seemed to have failed.

pps. oh, it appears the oqo and flexible screens have already had a mention on this thread already. sorry. guess that will teach me to not read the entire thread again !

post-172939-1140962557_thumb.gif

post-172939-1140962831_thumb.jpg

Edited by pookiecheeks