WM5 network settings?

Guest hot_b

I've just aquired a HTC Charmer & after some accidental faffing with the network adapter settings I'm having the following issue:

Every time I connect to activesync on my PC the mobile device pops up an error message with the title "Pocket PC Networking" and the message

"Unable to obtain a server-assigned IP address. Try again later or enter an IP address in Network settings".

Activesync still works just fine, so I can only assume it's trying to create a network connection to the PC?

Any ideas on disabling whatever network setting i've mucked up would be appreciated!

Under Settings -> Connections -> Network cards the following are listed

AsyncMac NDISWAN Miniport

L2TP NDISWAN Miniport

PPTP NDISWAN Miniport

NE2000 Compatible ethernet driver

Remote-NDIS host

Virtual Ethernet Intermediate Miniport

• 1 month later...

I'm having exactly the same problem with my HTC Universal. Cannot connect to Activesync and getting the same error message.

I really hope someone can help with this as its starting to do my head in. I've tried changing the network card but none seem to work.

I'm having exactly the same problem with my HTC Universal. Cannot connect to Activesync and getting the same error message.

I really hope someone can help with this as its starting to do my head in. I've tried changing the network card but none seem to work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've had no replies yet, other than a couple of folks off forum with the same problem. I'm beginning to suspect a hard reset is the only option.

NB - my active sync connection is still fine, so your problem could be something more fundamental? There are various know issues with activesync and VPN / Firewall software & some advice on the Microsoft site.

No hot_b. My activesync has been working fine too. I went through the firewall routine and sorted that out, it's been working fine for 4 months and now nothing. It looks like its connecting but after about 30 secs up pops the "cannot find server assigned ip address".

Looks like a hard reset afterall. . . . . . damn!

Guest windmillhills

I'm afraid I get the same error message pop-up on my MDA Compact II (HTC Charmer) from time to time. I also think it was as a result of me messing around with network settings, trying to get the WIFI SD card to work.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest tomtomtim
I'm getting the error aswell :D Has anyone found a fix for this problem

Yeah - Fixed it on my T-Mobile MDA Compact II (HTC Charmer) running WM5 - I have been messing with the settings trying to get WiFi to work and realised that I had broken something.

The answer is in several posts but there seemed to be a bit missing - here's what I did:

1. In "Settings" "Network Cards" " "Remote-NDIS Host" "IP Address" tab, CHECK "Use specific IP address" and set it to 169.254.2.1, then set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0

Leave the default gateway blank (some posts suggest setting the default gateway to 169.254.2.2 - I did not find this necessary).

2. Now move to the "Name Servers" tab and clear any settings you may have set for the DNS and/or WINS then tap "OK" until everything is saved and closed.

3. In "Settings", "Connections", "Connections" (yes, again)"Proxy settings" CHECK "This network connects to the Internet" but UNCHECK "This network uses a proxy server to connect to the Internet" then tap "OK" until everything is saved and closed

4. Restart your PPC

5. Plug in the USB and let it connect - there should be no message about not being able to get an IP address and if you open a command window and type "IPCONFIG /ALL" you should see the PPC listed, complete with an IP in the subnet 169.254.x.x

6. You should now be able to browse from your PPC - if not, see the above link about setting your firewall and making sure that the DHCP client is running on the Windows PC.

This worked for me - I hope my first post on MODACO has helped someone else :D

TTT

• 3 weeks later...
Guest aqeelhaider

Hi Guys,

I found an alternate solution on a website to the same problem and it worked for me.

THE SOLUTION:

1. Remove the Pocket PC from the cradle.

2. Edit the Pocket PC registry.

3. Look for the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\RNDISFN1\Parms\TcpIp

Change

EnableDHCP=1

to

EnableDHCP=0

4. Quit the registry editor using Tools > Exit. I did not soft reset the Pocket PC .

5. After making the above registry change, dock thePocket PC . I waited more than 30 minutes and still no error. Before the registry change, the error appeared between 1 to 3 minutes after docking the Pocket PC .

Note: No need to change the IP address to static in Remote-NDIS Host settings.

Edited by aqeelhaider

• 3 weeks later...
Guest uqpniels

Hi,

I've been looking at this problem for a little while. The Axim has the same problem as does my Jamin. On my Jamin it pops up the "Pocket PC Networking, Unable to obtain a server-assigned IP address" at indetermined times, I rarely need to Sync and this is not the issue.

The devices appear to be trying to get an IP Address from a DHCP server. On the Axim website they suggested a Registry edit which doesn't quite make sense but I think this one does.

1. Get yourself a regedit tool like TRE

2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/COMM/TCPIP/Parms/EnableDHCP

3. Change this key parameter from 1 to 0

I've just tried this and I think it might be the solution. My Jamin stills connects to my wireless network without a problem.

Cheers.