Smartphone as USB Mass Storage

Guest Version1

Guest gabryriden
Is there an app already out? Would this be possible if there isn't? so i could plug my phone into any computer and quickly copy files?

there's one available for Pocket PC and Windows Mobile PDA here.

http://www.softick.com/download.php

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

when you put the phone in the cradle windows activesync starts and you can find in your computer the spv 's icon. so you can browse it as a pen drive, but there isn't a program that do it fast... :roll: :evil: me i've bought a pen that have only a slot mmc so I can use this one... ;)

Guest fluffcat1
when you put the phone in the cradle windows activesync starts

The samsung i300 has a dedicated USB mode to allow transfer of songs to the 3gb internal drive quicker than activesync will allow.

Richard

Guest gabryriden
The samsung i300 has a dedicated USB mode to allow transfer of songs to the 3gb internal drive quicker than activesync will allow.

is it windows powered?

Guest b21playa
you could buy a pen drive and insert your miniSD to it. Theyre only 5.99 over @ www.mobymemory.com

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dont want to b taking card out al the time. rather have a nice app, plus i could charge phone at same time

Guest moosery

agreed - back in the days of SD and slots you didnt have to take the battery out to get to, it was easy to get an external reader

nowadays its a pain powering the phone down every time..whose idea was it to put the minisd inside??

the whole idea of SD was that it was hot-swappable, ie dont need the power to be off!!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Raven Nephilim

I emailed Softick a few months back about a smartphone version of Card Export and they said they acknowledge there was a demand for an update and were looking into it. I guess we'll just have to keep on waiting. :roll:

I think that the miniSD is under the battery so that you can't take it out while the phone is On.. this makes the phone's battery life longer because when you take the SD card out the phone must call an event to remove it.. when you insert it back again.. I think this was a HTC trick to "improve" the battery life.

Guest JesusDoesVegas
I think that the miniSD is under the battery so that you can't take it out while the phone is On.. this makes the phone's battery life longer because when you take the SD card out the phone must call an event to remove it.. when you insert it back again.. I think this was a HTC trick to "improve" the battery life.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I always thought it was under the battery so you dont accidently pop the card out in your pocket letting it get damaged/lost... those things are expensive and losing data isnt fun.

Guest Nubbing

My s700i had the memory stick at the side. But if you took it out while the phone was switched on things just didn't work. It didn't refresh like a PC does when a USB device is taken out. Putting it back in and trying to access files wasn't possible.

If currently the best place for miniSD cards is under the battery then fine...Just seems like things could be better.

Oh and whoever said one of the ideas of mini sd cards is easily swapable data storage. Clearly the main point of mini SD cards is that they are physically small put have a lot of memory, fast read and write speeds and require a low amount of power to run (a big reason why I am currently stearing clear from hard drive phones).

Guest Alex_le_brit

I thought the main point of putting a mini-sd card under the battery was to please all the Phone companies, and prevent the further development of wifi etc drivers for Smartphones. After all they wouldn't want you using wifi when they could have you pay to use GPRS. And I'm sure if we still had external SD slots we'd have wifi drivers by now.

But then I'm a cynic.

• 3 weeks later...

I would almost buy that WIFI driver part... Except that many of the big providers are now selling phones with WIFI

T-Mobile has their new SDA music phone with WIFI and WM5

I use an I-Mate SP5 which is similar, and has WIFI

With the growing number of smartphones with built-in wifi, I just don't see that as a good reason