Benchmark results of MDA Compact II

Guest Pondrew

Guest Pondrew

So, I decided to finally try and confirm if MDA Compact II (HTC Charmer) with it's Texas Instruments OMAP 850 processor at 195MHz can match the processing power of the MDA III (HTC Blue Angel) with the Intel XScale PXA263 at 400MHz.

The tools used in the benchmark were everyone's favorite divx player TCPMP (version 0.71) and a freely available high quality (weighing in a file size of over 11meg!) encoding of the Matrix Reloaded trailer the file name of which is "RL_MQB_320x240_512_128.avi". The avi file was put on a high speed 1gb SD card which was subsequently used in each device. Having ensured I'd closed all running programs I ran the benchmark option in TCPMP (under File) for the matrix trailer on each device.

My results were as follows (the higher the percentage the better, folks):

MDA III (HTC Blue Angel): 157.43%

MDA Compact II (HTC Charmer): 105.75%

What does this mean? Not a lot. But it DOES support suggestions that the new MDA Compact II IS NOT as fast as the last generation of Pocket PC Phones when it comes to video playback.

Guest Pondrew

Thought you might be interested to see the screen captures of the results from each. The left (in blue) is the MDA Compact II while the right (in grey) is the MDA III. Most significant I would say is the difference in how long the two devices took to do the benchmark (as this could be seen as representative of how fast the device is).

post-2910-1136849875_thumb.jpg post-2910-1136849885_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

yeah, I do wish it was a bit faster.. would love to have 300 or 400 Mhz... I was playing with the benchmarking the other day, plays audio bloody quick :)

that reminds me!.. would also like to know if the tweaks2k2 'speed bost' does anything.... I am off to test!

answer is..... no difference :)

playing a 341Kbit/s 320x240 25fps DivX movie with mp3 sound @ 48kbit/s 32000 Hz mono.

without 'speed boosts' = 136.82%

with 'speed boosts' = 135.92%

Guest Pondrew

Ditto on wishing it was a more powerful processor James.

@mitman, you can expect the benchmark results against the original compact to be similar to those against the MDA III as the processors in the MDA III and MDA Compact II are closely related in both architecture and processor speed.

Guest Pondrew

Haven't risked it yet. Tempting. But then, I don't like the prospect of damaging either the battery or the processor, I suppose it would only be a small reduction in the life of the components but... :|

Wonder whether the Charmer overclocked to 300Mhz would be able to match the results I managed with the MDA III...

Guess you're using a different vid to the one I used, James?

Guest Pondrew

Well well well. Seems the TI OMAP 850 in the HTC Charmer is quite a capable processor after all, at least when overclocked!

Having just bitten the bullet and overclocked my MDA Compact II to 250MHz, I re-ran the benchmark test as originally done and found the score had risen to 162.63%, slightly higher then the MDA III (HTC Blue Angel) with it's 400MHz Intel Xscale had scored.

Screen capture below:

post-2910-1139356312_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm ive been a bit ticked off with this processor. I used to used a Psion 3c/5 but since then ive not been using PPC's. Having just got this little beauty for free on a new (and cheaper!) contract i can accept a few speed problems but if you guys are still running at 250mhz or above with no issues id love to know what programs and settings you used.

What program (and version) did you use and what settings?

Thanks in advance

fUNKUS

Guest dave106

wont come close to beating a magician though. when i tried it out, the magician scored just a shade over 300% and the charmer just over 100%. overclocking improves it but then only managed 200 odd%.

Hmm ive been a bit ticked off with this processor. I used to used a Psion 3c/5 but since then ive not been using PPC's. Having just got this little beauty for free on a new (and cheaper!) contract i can accept a few speed problems but if you guys are still running at 250mhz or above with no issues id love to know what programs and settings you used.

What program (and version) did you use and what settings?

Thanks in advance

fUNKUS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do a google search for OMAPCLOCK

Guest Pondrew
wont come close to beating a magician though. when i tried it out, the magician scored just a shade over 300% and the charmer just over 100%. overclocking improves it but then only managed 200 odd%.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think so. Reason being that the benchmark result depends on the video file used and there is no way an HTC Magician (even with 128meg ram which most don't have) with an Intel Bulverde 416MHz processor could outperform the MDA III with it's 400MHz processor by that much. 20-30% I could believe but over 100% doesn't seem possible...

Find "RL_MQB_320x240_512_128.avi" (an 11meg high quality encoding of the Matrix Reloaded trailer) and rerun the benchmark on your Magician. If this isn't the video used then your test result isn't representative.

If you want and it's not copyright, upload the clip in question and I'll rerun my benchmark with that file...

Unless you're saying that you've already benchmarked both a Magician and a Charmer with the same video? In which case I'd like to hear more...

Guest dave106

oh yeah, i know it depends on the video file thats being played to the result, i didnt use the same file you though, should of put that. i was just comparing the charmer to the magician in a similar fashion and no amount of overclocking can get it to beat it!!

Got my hands on that file though so next time i see my mate, i'll try it out for a true comparsion.

Edited by dave106

Guest dave106

Okay, ive got the benchmark from the magician. posting them all up so they all next to each other for ease

Slowest first

Standard Charmer

post-62991-1141314022_thumb.jpg

MDA III

post-62991-1141314038_thumb.jpg

Overclocked Charmer 276Mhz

post-62991-1141314056_thumb.jpg

Standard Magician 64MB

post-62991-1141314076_thumb.jpg

So the magician pretty much beats them all

Edited by dave106

Guest Pondrew

Wow! That's impressive stuff (you're not a Photoshop user are you? Just kidding! :) )

Makes me wonder how the Universal would do as that's a newer Intel chip again to the Magician AND at a higher clock speed...

• 1 month later...
Guest kevinsephiroth
Wow! That's impressive stuff (you're not a Photoshop user are you? Just kidding! ;) )

Makes me wonder how the Universal would do as that's a newer Intel chip again to the Magician AND at a higher clock speed...

hum i heard about "dual core" in the ti omap 850 processor.... so my question is:

for playing video games such as:

MyDoomCE (port by roozbeh) ; Duke3D (same port); emulators: pocketSNES, PicoDrive ; Quake , quake2:

which one is the best processor?

TI Omap 850 @ 195MHz OR Intel Xscale @ 624 MHz ? (in some pda)

didn't find the answer