Talking Point: What do you use your phone for?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest chucky.egg
Does it allow the use of Outlook Calendar? In other words, if I sync my phone with my Outlook Calendar, Papyrus will be updated?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes it does, it's just a MUCH better interface for the built-in Calendar database

I use my M500 for:

Calendar (sync's with our Helpdesk system)

Phone (icon shortcuts to most of my commonly used numbers on my Today screen)

SMS (SMS commands for our IT systems mostly)

Email

Acrobat (for schematics and documentation)

Weather forecasts

Games

MP3s (2+Gb ... lubberly)

Video

Guest nevawlkalone

Texting mostly....n MSN Messenger

The things you just couldnt say in a phone call for fear of giving a near by grannie a heartt attack...... ;)

Erm that it...iPAQ for most other things till i gt my VARIO/xda mini s/qtek blah blah blah...

Guest tsutton
Yes - Papyrus is a replacement for the build-in diary (and to-do) software but uses the same database, so it sync's with your desktop Outlook.

Yes it does, it's just a MUCH better interface for the built-in Calendar database

Perfect, thank you. And it being free for Plus member, I got the code.

Will have a play around with it!

Guest digireader

1. Calendar/tasks

2. MP3

3. SMS

4. eBooks

5. Voice Calls

6. Emails

7. Films (usually for showing off the capabilities of the phone using TCPMP)

My C550 has been a godsend, I no longer have to carry around two or three different devices. It's been everything that I hoped the XDA would be, but wasn't.

I use facade as a homescreen plugin to display my outlook data so every time I turn the phone on it gets used. I also use it as an in-car MP3 player, which is why the C550 was more appropriate than the C600.

I've had any number of PDAs dating right back to the original Apple Newton and I've tried all the recent phone/pda crossovers (Nokia Communicator, Ericsson R380, p800, Treo and XDAs) but my current phone is the first that meets my needs exactly.

How do you do this??????? I didnt know there was a bluetooth messenger type thing... Can someone point me in the right direction??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is mobiluck... but you can do pretty much the same thing by creating a contact, entering your message instead of a name and then select beam contact.

Guest Paul [MVP]
Does it allow the use of Outlook Calendar? In other words, if I sync my phone with my Outlook Calendar, Papyrus will be updated?

Yes, Papyrus uses the standard on device calendar, i.e. what you sync in via Outlook or Exchange.

P

Guest bradmatejo

Wow, looks like I'm in the minority, but I use mine for making phone calls a lot. My girlfriend is currently living in another town while at grad school, so we use cell phones to avoid long distance charges on the home phone.

Also, syncing my Outlook info, most importantly contacts. Like Encece said, I only remember like 4 phone numbers now, everyone else I have to look up.

Like many of you, I tend to get new phones pretty often (used to anyway). Back in the day you had to sit down with your old phone and your new phone and peck every single number into the new one. No thank you! The Smartphone platform has eliminated that problem! (As well as helping me cut back on phone purchases due to fewer options and higher prices ;) )

And I use SmartConvert for the occasional How Many Inches In A Kilometer question, etc. Disappointingly, it couldn't tell me how many pounds in a stone. That one stumped me...

1. Bluetooth - The smartphone BT implementation is years behind the competition. Microsoft really are being a bunch of Mcfly's here, its not like its rocket science boys. Sort it out!

2. Camera - One for HTC, listen up. If you want to shift more units, you must improve the quality of the camera. Its no good upping the pixels when the resulting picture is worse than a Nokia with a melon in front of the lens. Its not difficult. Don't be cheapskates and spend a bit of time and effort in making the camera at least half decent so we can mock the Sony Ericsson chavs with their 2MP units.

I totally agree with both these points...

My friend has a USB dongle @ his house, when i go round i feel jealous, when he loads it up...

The amount of services discovered on his Sony W800i has compared to the 2 on my SP5 is upsetting.

The camera is ok on my SP5, but like all the smartphones there useless @ night/in club

HTC need to integrate a damn light onto these things!!! Again i refer to Sony ericsson but some of their features are soooo way ahead of HTC.

For £300 i would expect a little more on my SP5, i love it but it wasnt worth the Cash

Edited by b0bby

Guest Jay3gsm
And I use SmartConvert for the occasional How Many Inches In A Kilometer question, etc.  Disappointingly, it couldn't tell me how many pounds in a stone.  That one stumped me...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

14 ;)

I use email on my phone a lot. Also MSN and Yahoo messenger, and text messaging. Some calls, but not often. A bit of browsing when I'm looking for info, news headlines, etc. And as an alarm clock, which is a daily used feature.

Guest unclelimey

I Have an SPV M500,

the main things I use it for are:

MSN Messenger (my girlfriend has a c500 - cheaper than texts)

Games (pocket pc games are really good)

Videos (watching full screen converted dvd's - when i should be workin)

Listening to mp3's - Have 2 gig sd card full of vid's and mp3's

read the occasional ebook

occasional texts

occasional pictures with the camera

takin notes

using pocket streets when i get lost (use it like a road map)

surfing the net on the move

and yes..... calls too !!

I am thinking of using it for:

Might get a GPS receiver for it.

I love my SPV M500, it is by far the best phone i have owned... and i've owned a few !!!!

Edited by unclelimey

As suspected, majority of use are non calling Smartphone users primarily, lol!

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good science project Paul - Phone geeks have no friends ;)

Guest micaels

Me I use my magician and my mpx 220 for alot things.

Primary calendar (so I know what to do:-) )

Second calls - friends, family the usual.

Third data - not to much unfortunately since my provider charges a ridicolous amount for GPRS.

Shared fourth: games and video. I love playing bejeweld on the buss home.

Paul: So you read great things about great Swedish player in Arsenal Freddie Ljungberg? ;)

Guest battletank

I use a Wizard. My primary applications are:

1. Sudoku (I commute a long way)

2. Calendar (great to know where I'm supposed to be going between meetings)

3. Mobile Internet (again, commuting)

4. Email (commuting again)

For those using the BBC website, they have another interface which is perfect for mobile browsers - I prefer it to the No_Text one: http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolpda/ukfs_news/hi/default.stm

Bt

Guest Samsonite
As suspected, majority of use are non calling Smartphone users primarily, lol!

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

now, doesn't that point alone mean that the networks are not that interested in us? I know many of us burn GPRS like anything but whilst most of us have said about movies and MP3's, the networks aint making any money from us!! line rental charges have simply gone into subsidising the device in the first place.

its like having a driving club meeting at a pub!! the landlord doesnt sell a lot of beer that way....

Guest MoRFLeZ

I fall into the category on "non-calling-smartphone-users" .. I make maybe 1-2 calls of about 10 seconds each every day. Goes something like this: "Hi, it's me - could you call me?" (*snicker*)

I guess that's why it took me over a year to get my SPV C500 exchanged due to really POOR sound quality. And I guess that's why it doesn't bother me, that my Qtek 8100 has the same problem. I'm hoping, that my new 8310 doesn't have the problem though, cause I'll have to use my phone for work-related calls in the future... so I need crystal clear sound!

Anyways, I couldn't live without my contacts, calendar (papyrus really rocks) and WMP. I use my phone as an mp3 player every day.

I also text quite a bit (600-700 a month) and can't get used to any other phone for that purpose.

My number 1 use though, is probably PIE, every day I use it to browse PDA/SPV friendly sites, to get movie-listings, weather, tv-listings, casual browsing, e-mails and such. I created a lil html collection of my fav links, and couldn't live without that either!

I've been a huge user of Agile Messenger as well .. I might have to obt to buy that, when I get my Qtek 8310. (The built-in messenger really need improvement!!!!)

In the past I've used the camera/video as well, as I have a MoBlog I used to spend a lot of time on, but SPV/Qtek phones really need lots of improvement on this area, so I mainly use my K750i/N70 for those purposes now.

No matter what the future brings ... I'm fairly sure I'll never give up on HTC products though, even though they lact a few crucial improvements (camera/msn) .. they are outstanding in other areas, that I've truely become addicted to *geek alert*

hmmm... good question..

I use it for just about everything hihihi

Calling - Texting - Instant messaging - Music - Video - Gaming - E-mail - Internet - Radio (internet radio) - sync-ing - memory help (i forget everything so I jot it down on my phone) - Sat Nav - Avantgo (news) - picture viewer.... uuuh and anything else I can think of.

that's why my phone is my everything!!!!! I'm without both of them at the moment (repares ;) ) so this is a hard time for me.

Pigo

Guest VictorF

I sync work email ,calendar and contacts

Text people

View spreadsheets and PPTs

Write Word documents and email.

Read Modaco...of course!

Surf the net

Listen to podcasts and watch movies form an SD card

...oh and I forgot.... use it as a phone!

..and usually under the watchful but envious eyes of Blackberry users!

A query for PSP-owning Pocket PC people:

Do you still use your phone for media now you've got a PSP? Or do you prefer to use your phone for this because the PSP is a pain to lug around with you?

I'd be interested to know before I shell out. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Geeklord

I'm also one of the minority who drain the battery making calls. (Using the smartphone for phone calls!!! imagine that :) )

Among others are:

SMS

Email

Pocket IE

Pre-Installed Games (to fend off boredom when waiting)

For Work:

Calendar

Tasks (to list down ideas rather than chores)

Stopwatch

Email (used as a Word Processor App when I'm on the road)

Camera (it's really under-rated)

Music during my daily commute (who needs and iPod?)

Flash light (yep, that screen is bright)

For Home:

Calculator (damn bills)

Alarm Clock (not very effective)

Games (my kids mostly)

Movies (who needs and iPod video?)

And lastly is the phone's paperweight function. Keeps the wind from blowing my papers when I'm working outside while smoking.

:D :) :D :D