WLAN G in all Wizards - It works!

Guest crx16

Guest Honest John
Found this cab file on another forum that enables G on all wizards, works on my mda vario!  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Want to expand the "enables G" for those wizard owners who don't know what you are referring to but might appreciate the CAB? Me for one!

:??: :??: :??: :?:

Guest st3ph3n

Works a treat.

Oh and he means it enables 54mbit Wireless on your Wizard. T-Mobile ship the Vario with it disabled. It's just a couple of simple registry tweeks that it installs for you.

I hooked mine up to my router and it now says it's an 11g client type and not an 11b.

Happy days.

Edited by st3ph3n

Guest Morninglight

Great!

I was checking what is inside the cab,

2 files:

HTCWIZ~1.000

Containing:

CE4+    ‘         

‚   "  *  D  ”  t  d  }  ‚       HTC Wizard Optimizer 1.0 DJVW   \   %CE4%   System   GWE   Menu  

ControlPanel   Keybd   StorageManager    FATFS 

Filters    fsreplxfilt    Comm 

TNETWLN1   Parms             CapNotify.lnk                                   

AniType            EnableIndicator           CacheSize           EnableCache           ReplStoreCacheSize           dot11SupportedRateMaskG           dot11SupportedRateMask                     Œ  SSDK

And the 2nd file:

CAPNOT~1.001

Containing:

32#"\Windows\CapNotify.exe"

I tried running the capnotify.exe from the \windows dir but that doesn't seems to do much.. does anyone know what it is needed for?

The first file contains registrykeys,

dot11SupportedRateMaskG

and

dot11SupportedRateMask

are the interesting ones I think.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\TNETWLN1\Parms

The other ones are keys from other registry optimizations I think.

Can someone verify what the dot11SupportedRateMask is set to on a out-of-the-box G enabled device? on my M3000 it is set to 1.

After adding the key dot11SupportedRateMaskG with a DWORD value 1, the m3000 finds the AP but does not connect to it.

I just bought an OEM, unbranded, unlocked Qtek 9101.  Do I need to do the registry hack on that phone or is it just for the branded phones?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

would like to know if the 02 xda variant needs this too

Guest Morninglight

The cab also sets \HKLM\system\StorageManager\FATFS\CacheSize and the other cache things to 1024, it should be set to 4096 (see other reghacking threads). it also removed my indicator for the dot/shift button.

So it is not a good idea to use this cab when you've set the other values according to the other threads.

I just tried adding the key dot11SupportedRateMaskG with DWORD value 8 to my girlfriends MDA Vario and that did the job, she can connect to my G-only mode AP.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\TNETWLN1\Parms

add key with name:

dot11SupportedRateMaskG

Value DWORD:

Edited by Morninglight

add key with name:

dot11SupportedRateMaskG

Value DWORD:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heh, that is very similar to what I was trying to do in a thread about getting G working. I was playing around with the values of dot11DesiredTxRate and dot11SupportedRateMask, but not dot11SupportedRateMaskG as it didn't exist by default and I didn't know of it to add it.

A value of 8 specifies to allow all transfer speeds. Lower values set specific groups of speeds.

Interestingly I don't remember dot11SupportedRateMaskG existing as a registy key on the 9100's or K-JAM, could someone confirm this? Makes me wonder what different method of 'G' support they have.

Guest futuresbright1

had cab installed for a couple of days now and my o2 xda mini s now works on my linksys modem router on B,MIXED AND G ONLY.

also connects to a belkin G only cable router which beforehand would see connection but would not connect.

seems to speed things up generally,well worth trying. ;)

i can access the network but for some reason it wont let me browse the net, anyone else having net problems

i'm using pre assigned ips rather than dhcp, and until i installed this update it wouldnt take the ip address so at least thats something

i can access the network but for some reason it wont let me browse the net, anyone else having net problems

i'm using pre assigned ips rather than dhcp, and until i installed this update it wouldnt take the ip address so at least thats something

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I use MAC filtering to assign static IP's to my machines and I found that this does not work with the Wizard at all.

No amount of messing about would allow the Wizard to even take the static IP in my case (even trying to force it via some registry entries didn't work). In the end I had to enabled DHCP on my router even though my Vario gets assigned a static IP (it still gets the static IP :?;), this works for me and I can browse network and web.

If you do this, make sure the DHCP server/router/whatever, has it's gateway set to whatever machine/router is set up as your Internet gateway as this is what the Wizard will be 'given' via DHCP to use to connect to the net through (In my case my ADSL modem/router acting as gateway).

Edited by lekus

This CAB seems to help on my XDA mini S. I used to have DHCP problems on my 3com OfficeConnect 11q router but it seems to have solved that too. I can now connect with a static IP or get an assigned IP address. No idea if it's connecting at B or G speeds. I don't really care.

Also, the indicator for caps/symbol is handy. Success all round. ;)

Guest Phil Lee

Here are the registry entries the cab makes/changes:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GWE\Menu]"AniType"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Keybd]

"EnableIndicator"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\FATFS]

"CacheSize"=dword:00000400

"EnableCache"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Filters\fsreplxfilt]

"ReplStoreCacheSize"=dword:00000400

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\TNETWLN1\Parms]

"dot11SupportedRateMaskG"=dword:00000008

"dot11SupportedRateMask"=dword:00000001

I found them on another forum posted by the original author of the cab.

Guest DerekCohen
Here are the registry entries the cab makes/changes:

I found them on another forum posted by the original author of the cab.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Simple newbie question - how do you edit the registry on the Vario?

Guest adchaffey
Simple newbie question - how do you edit the registry on the Vario?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Simple answer :) :D

Download and install PHM Registry Editor. Thier site seems to be down at the moment, but you can download it from HERE.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lesgainous
And the 2nd file:

CAPNOT~1.001

Containing:

32#"\Windows\CapNotify.exe"

I tried running the capnotify.exe from the \windows dir but that doesn't seems to do much.. does anyone know what it is needed for?

When running, it allows you to see what mode your keyboard is in (as long as you have enabled this feature).

For examples/screenshots of this, go to this site, or to this thread.

Make sure that CapNotify.exe is in your \Windows folder on your device and create a shortcut to it in your \Windows\Startup folder. DO NOT put the actual file in your startup folder--just a shortcut to it!

Disclaimer: These are settings that work for me. Incorrectly modifying the registry or making another other changes to your device may render the device inoperable. I am not responsible for your device should you reconfigure it to conform to these or any other (correct or incorrect) settings. Reconfigure at your own risk.

Edited by lesgainous

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest captgilbert
had cab installed for a couple of days now and my o2 xda mini s now works on my linksys modem router on B,MIXED AND G ONLY.

also connects to a belkin G only cable router which beforehand would see connection but would not connect.

seems to speed things up generally,well worth trying. :)

Can you please explaign exactly how to install the fix. I am new at this and have no idea on how to get it to work. I also have a belking wireless pre N router. It see's it but will not connect to it. It trys and then moves down to the next one. Have not been able to connect to the home network since getting the phone.

Thanks,

Ron