M5000 and Tom tom

Guest Wildfire

Guest Wildfire

I have a M5000 and am thinking about buying tomtom for it, currently i use the standalone version, but before i do i have some questions that i can't seem to get answers to:

If i am using the Tom tom and a call comes in will it disable the tom tom function?

Can i use a bluetooth headset at the same time as the Wirefree GPS unit?

Does it use up a lot of memory on the M5000?

Will it work in landscape and portrait mode?

What's your general view of the tom tom with the m5000

Thanks in advance

Guest bestservechilled
I have a M5000 and am thinking about buying tomtom for it, currently i use the standalone version, but before i do i have some questions that i can't seem to get answers to:

If i am using the Tom tom and a call comes in will it disable the tom tom function?

Can i use a bluetooth headset at the same time as the Wirefree GPS unit?

Does it use up a lot of memory on the M5000?

Will it work in landscape and portrait mode?

What's your general view of the tom tom with the m5000

Thanks in advance

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In answer to your questions

1. tomtom will continue running whilst you take/make a call

2. You can use a bluetooth headset at the same time

3. No idea - perhaps someone else can answer

4. Only works in Portrait

5. Couldn't be happier, had tomtom mobile before this and its 10x better

hope this helps in some way

Guest Wildfire

1.  tomtom will continue running whilst you take/make a call

3. No idea - perhaps someone else can answer

4. Only works in Portrait

5. Couldn't be happier, had tomtom mobile before this and its 10x better

hope this helps in some way

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks a lot, really appreciate it

TomTom 5 does work in landscape or portrait. the option is under the preferences section

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can also confirm that TomTom 5 works in both landscape and portrait.

Can also tell you that after using TomTom on my Universal, from an almost full battery it guided me for ~3 hrs 15 mins before being more or less exhausted (without receiving any calls in the duration).

On the return leg I of course plugged it in to the car charger. :)

Edited by PhiL P

Guest Roaders

I was thinking of getting Tom Tom mobile for my M5000 but I don't really fancy it. I'm not that impressed with the processor on the M5000 so I think it'll be a bit slow.

I think I'll get the standalone Tom Tom One for a little bit extra instead.

Has anyone compared the 2?

Guest Mr.Clark
I'm not that impressed with the processor on the M5000 so I think it'll be a bit slow.

Really? I'd have thought it would be better than something like the XDA-II (imate Pocket PC), since it has a faster processor.

And I've seen that in operation, and TomTom looks fine on it. :?:

Guest Roaders
Really? I'd have thought it would be better than something like the XDA-II (imate Pocket PC), since it has a faster processor.

And I've seen that in operation, and TomTom looks fine on it. :?:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I had an iPaq hx4700 and it doesn't seem to be as fast as that.

Guest awarner [MVP]
I was thinking of getting Tom Tom mobile for my M5000

You do not need TomTom Mobile as that is for the Smartphone, you need to use TomTom Navigator as the M5000 is a PocketPC.

Guest SteveG02

As regards the speed issue, having used TomTom on both an XDA2s and the Exec, the map updates quicker on the Exec when you are moving, plus it plans routes quicker too!

Guest SteveG02
Hi,

just upgraded from spv c500 to spv m1500. Tom tom mobile 5 worked fine on the c500 but wont work on the m1500.

please help!! :cry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You'll need Tom Tom Navigator rather than mobile for pocket pc devices mate.

In reply to the above, I'd like to add something. I use tomtom navigator 5 on my Orange M5000, and I use a Sonyericsson HBH300 headset. When a call comes in I can take the call no problem but when the call is finished the M5000 drops all bluetooth connections including the tomtom GPS unit and the headset. After about 10 seconds it automatically re-establishes but it's a proper pain in the arse.

It gets wierder. The other day I was driving home and talking away on the HBH300 whilst navigating. While I'm an the call another call comes in which I did not answer, however when the 2nd incoming call stopped ringing again the M5000 dropped all the bleutooth connections, so the GPS went off and the conversation I was having was transferred to the device! After about 10 seconds the GPS locked on again and at that point I was able to get teh call back in my headset by pressing the button on it.

I would be interested to hear of any experiences which replicate this or disagree with it.

Thanks.

Guest mattgod69
In reply to the above, I'd like to add something. I use tomtom navigator 5 on my

Orange M5000, and I use a Sonyericsson HBH300 headset. When a call comes in I can take the call no problem but when the call is finished the M5000 drops all bluetooth connections including the tomtom GPS unit and the headset. After about 10 seconds it automatically re-establishes but it's a proper pain in the arse.

It gets wierder. The other day I was driving home and talking away on the HBH300 whilst navigating. While I'm an the call another call comes in which I did not answer, however when the 2nd incoming call stopped ringing again the M5000 dropped all the bleutooth connections, so the GPS went off and the conversation I was having was transferred to the device! After about 10 seconds the GPS locked on again and at that point I was able to get teh call back in my headset by pressing the button on it.

I would be interested to hear of any experiences which replicate this or disagree with it.

Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would guess there is a problem with the headset. I have a SE HBH30 headset and to be honest it has never been very reliable with the SPVs. I use my M5000 with a GPSlim 236 receiver and this works a treat, although I dont generally use the unit for calls......

Guest Markda2000

I am using the SBH 662 headset with Tomtom 5.1.

What I find is that when a call comes in the gps is temp lost for about 10 secs, whilst the

headset initiates. Then whent the call ends I lose gps again for a further 10 seconds. All this is perfectly acceptable, except for when the GPS re-connects, TomTom is running about half a minute behind my true location. This makes it then less than useless, I have got no fix for it except for coming put of TomTom and launching it again.

I would guess there is a problem with the headset.  I have a SE HBH30 headset and to be honest it has never been very reliable with the SPVs.  I use my M5000 with a GPSlim 236 receiver and this works a treat, although I dont generally use the unit for calls......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've actually replicated the issue when not using the headset. I took a call on speakerphone yesterday whilst navigating and again when the call finished the M5000 dropped the bluetooth link to the GPS and then re-established about 10-12 seconds later. It's not related to the headset.

Guest dazza12

I use my M5000 in the car with TomTom Navigator 5.1 and a Parrot CK3100. I'm using the BT GPS unit that comes with TT3.

When I take a call, it returns to Navigator (a few seconds after taking the call). A 'no speaker' symbol displays to indicate the phone is in use. When the call ends, apart from a second or two whilst the unit takes care of ending the phone call there appears to be no interruption with TomTom.

I do occasionally see some issues where the TT display stops momentarily (when an email or text is recieved, but the voice prompts keep up with my current location. This indicates that although the display may not keep up, the unit itself does.