GPRS disconnecting on my C550

Guest barfoo

Hi,

I have installed Shell-Orange 1.3 on my C550 and set it to always remain connected to GPRS but MSN Messenger still disconnects after a few minutes of inactivity.

This is annoying as I want to remain logged in all day while I'm at work. :)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by barfoo

Guest pd.ryder

Have you got Messenger's option selected to "run whenever connection available"?

Mine never disconnects while GPRS is fired up and it will even detect my broadband connection via ActiveSync when I connect the 550 to the PC (it signs me out on the PC and in on the 550)

I must admit, I don't know the Shell-Orange 1.3 or what difference it would make to the phone's OS.

:)

Guest pd.ryder

Not quite, but yes - sort of :D

If it's connected using GPRS it will continue to use it until 'told' otherwise. What I was getting at was that Messenger will grab hold of any connection going, whether it's GPRS or whatever.

Another thought I had:- the MS OS will run-stop applications automatically to save resources once it has 6 (I think) already running. Could this be your problem?

:)

Guest pd.ryder

I've just re-read that. Welcome FerretAD :)

To address your comment, the 550 will use your broadband connection when ActiveSync'd as long as the connections are set to 'Automatic' (Start/Settings/Data Connections). Apparently it will do this if Bluetooth ActiveSync'd too for a bit of surfing-on-the-sofa / not-too-far-from-your-PC fun. :D

Guest pd.ryder
I don't know, how do I do that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok. Go to Start>MSN Messenger>Options>Passport Account, then select the tickbox at the bottom "Run this program when connection available". Press & then sign-in as usual.

Here's hoping it solves your problem :)

Ok. Go to Start>MSN Messenger>Options>Passport Account, then select the tickbox at the bottom "Run this program when connection available". Press & then sign-in as usual.

Here's hoping it solves your problem :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, I've changed this option and also set Start>Settings>Data Connections>Options and Idle disconnect after to Never but I still lose the connection after a few mins. Strangely, the GPRS icon remains lit in the top right hand corner.

I've also tried uninstalling Shell-Orange and rebooting but no luck.

I'm stumped :cry: