Guest Ingvarr

Guest Ingvarr

index.php?automodule=downloads&req=display&code=sst&id=1630

File Name: Tornado Low Light

File Submitter: Ingvarr

File Submitted: 25 Feb 2006

File Updated: 9 Aug 2008

File Category: Utilities - Phone Management

This small, but handy application will force maximum screen light to low (dimmed) level while its running, which is much more comfortable to the eyes for indoor environments. Screen off timeout will still apply.

It's intended not for every WM5-smartphone, but for HTC Tornado-based smartphones, and lookalikes. Should work with QTek 8310, QTek 8300, Cingular 2125, Orange C600, etc. It *may* work with non-Tornado-based devices, but no warranties as it uses some Tornado-specific stuff to control light level.

Keep in mind, that it should be "lurking in background" to be in effect. If you will exit from it or unload it via task manager, it will revert light management to default (bright-timeout-dim).

Also keep in mind that you should application-unlock your phone to use it, since it need system-privileged access. Otherwise it will give you an error.

I know that a lot of "full aplication unlock" recipies/apps out there do not fully unlock all needed system access. The simpliest recipie for full unlock (and keeping some security) is:

to HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies

add new value "0000101b": dword = 1

That would set security model to "one-tier" - unsigned applications/components will still ask for confirmation, but after you confirm, they will launch in full-trust access mode, like on WM5 PocketPCs.

This application is freeware, but if you find it useful, you can show your gratitude by donating to author: x-click-but21.gif

* Changelog *

Version 1.02

- Added the command line switch "-t". With this switch if LowLight is already was running, it will be closed and backlight restored to normal. If LowLight was not running this switch will have no effect - so it can be used to flip/flop between dim and normal backlight.

Version 1.01

- Added the command line switch "-m". If you start program with that switch, LowLight will minimize/hide immediately after launch. Still, remember that it have to be actually running in background to keep maximum light level low.

Click here to download this file

Edited by Ingvarr

Very good app! Is there any way to get it to turn on silently? I put it in my startup folder, so I have to remember to send it to the background instead of quitting it when it starts.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but if I start the application, then shutdown my phone, then switch it on again, but without starting the software, I am unable to see my screen at all... Is that normal?

That's not normal, but could happen if you shut down your phone without quitting the software cleanly first. Try exiting the software cleanly before power cycling your phone.

The software should automatically exit normally on a reboot, however...

Edited by merwin

Guest Ingvarr
I'm not sure if this is a bug, but if I start the application, then shutdown my phone, then switch it on again, but without starting the software, I am unable to see my screen at all... Is that normal?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm, not very normal. Normally, LowLight should gracefully exit on reboot/shutdown and restore light settings. At least it works for me that way.

What phone/firmware version do you have? How do you shut down it when you experience this behavior?

Guest Vulpix

I'm able to replicate this problem consistently. I'm using the Qtek 8310 with the default firmware. Here is what I have:

1) Automatic Keylock

And how I replicate the problem:

1) Start lowlight program.

2) Switch off phone normally with button on top of phone, and without quitting the program.

3) Switch on phone again, hit password

4) Screen is normal brightness (Not lowlight mode)

5) Let it idle till automatic keylock take over.

6) Wake phone up after it has shut off the screen, and after waking up screen is extremely dim, like backlight is switched off, and refuses to switch the backlight on, but the screen is still there after tilting at certain angle with light shone in.

5) Remedy, switch off phone again somehow after struggling, and then turn it on, and uninstall program, problem solved as screen backlight turns on even after reboot.

Guest Ingvarr

I use Automatic Keylock too and cant reproduce it... I use 8310 too.

Try it without auto keylock and see if it will make any difference. Also take note, when you turn off the phone, and "Clouds QTEK splash screen" appears - do you see it turn brightness up back to "bright" level just before screen go off?

Guest Vulpix

The splash screen is of normal brightness (not lowlight). Make sure you do not turn the program on after WM5 boots up, and let it idle until it switches off your screen.

Guest Ingvarr
Make sure you do not turn the program on after WM5 boots up, and let it idle until it switches off your screen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do exactly that and there is no problems. And shouldnt be, because when display goes to normal bright level, this means that LowLight quited normally, and restored all settings to normal power management.

Is it different if you press "quit" in LowLight before you switch off the phone? What if you will shut it down via Task Manager?

Guest Ingvarr

This is not a "new version". I've just updated an unlock guide because a lot of unlock recipies floating around do not unlock phone fully to make LowLight work.

• 2 months later...
Guest csc12345678

I have a problem installing the utility on my Dopod 585. It's WinMobile 2003 SE. I understand it's not supported but I can't install it.

It says: Unable to install "Thunder Tornado Low Light" at this location" for both Phone and \Storage Card.

Help ? Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Guest D-Pac

Had the same problem on my o2 XDA IQ. After reboot the phone went into 'full power' backlight, then after entering my pin it went to 'no backlight at all' mode :) I was also using automatic keylock. Solved it by removing both programs...

Could I just suggest - if the developer of this software accidently came up with the method to turn the backlight off completely... could this be used somehow to swich it off while the keypad of the phone is locked?

Guest merwin
Had the same problem on my o2 XDA IQ. After reboot the phone went into 'full power' backlight, then after entering my pin it went to 'no backlight at all' mode :) I was also using automatic keylock. Solved it by removing both programs...

Could I just suggest - if the developer of this software accidently came up with the method to turn the backlight off completely... could this be used somehow to swich it off while the keypad of the phone is locked?

Yes, it can be used for that purpose, however it's not as easy as you might think to detect when the phone is locked. There is a registry setting for the state, but no API. And furthermore, you have to detect when the left softkey has been pressed when it's locked, in order to allow the screen to come on (to tell you to press the * key). There are a number of problems involved that have to be overcome before a feature like this can be implemented.

As for the XDA issues, it doesn't work because the definition of power modes between the smartphone and the touchscreen phones are different.

Guest D-Pac

Hmmm... Would it be possible then to write completely separate application to disable all keys and swich the backlight off? We could then assign the application to some key and that would act as a 'lock keyboard key'. The application would be monitoring one key (say left softkey) after pressing which it could display ' please press star' or something without swiching the backlight on. The lights would come on only after the second key was pressed, and so the keyboard would be unlocked.

I'm not a programmer myself (unless BASIC on ZX Spectrum does qualify me as a super-duper genius) so these are outlines only... I hope it makes sense.

P.S. Pardon me for my english :)

Guest davebytes
Yes, it can be used for that purpose, however it's not as easy as you might think to detect when the phone is locked. There is a registry setting for the state, but no API. And furthermore, you have to detect when the left softkey has been pressed when it's locked, in order to allow the screen to come on (to tell you to press the * key). There are a number of problems involved that have to be overcome before a feature like this can be implemented.

Could I suggest you team up with the Auto Keylock guy?

For those of us 'power users', we KNOW to hit the * to unlock the SDA/et.al. We want the backlight OFF when the unit is keylocked, so hitting keys doesn't trigger the backlight back on and drain the battery (since keys are hit in the crappy cases for these units).

And then, when going from lock->unlock, THEN turn the backlight back on normal.

=d

• 3 weeks later...
Guest merwin
Hello, no way to start the app minimized? :)

Try Tornado PowerControl (made by myself)... also in this forum. It allows for the app to be minimized. The newest version also fixes the existing minimize bugs.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Spiderman1975
Try Tornado PowerControl (made by myself)... also in this forum. It allows for the app to be minimized. The newest version also fixes the existing minimize bugs.

Thanks, I'll try it now :)

• 1 month later...
Guest Spiderman1975
Thanks, I'll try it now :rolleyes:

Hello, I've tried TPControl, but I had to install CFramework 2.

I'd like to keep the smartphone free of Framework, Tornado Low Light that minimizes itself I think it's a very good solution.... Have you time to make it? :(

Edited by Spiderman1975

What you mean "minimizes itself"?

Technically, there are no such thing on Windows Mobile.

Or you can say that when you switch from application screen, it "minimizes". So just run LowLight, press Home button and it will "minimize" itself.

Guest tenorman

This is great! The backlight is no longer blinding.

Now if only the backlight level could be dynamically adjusted, by using the light sensor, to match ambient lighting...

Guest Spiderman1975
Or you can say that when you switch from application screen, it "minimizes". So just run LowLight, press Home button and it will "minimize" itself.

Yes, I would want that pressing home button becomes automatic.

With autoflight I run everyday the TornadoLowLight, I'd appreciate that it minimizes itself automatically :rolleyes:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.