PicoDrive 0.52 an updated version for PocketPC/SmartPhone

Guest masterall

Hi all,

Just got my first windows phone (Orange M3100) after having been a long-time Symbian UIQ (P900) user.

One of the best apps on UIQ was PicoDrive.

I've just given Masterall's port a go, but for some reason it does not run a couple of games I used to play on the UIQ version.

Has anyone managed to get the following games running on Windows Mobile?

Megalomania (also known as Tyrants)

Warsong

I used to run PicoDriveN 0.92 (http://notaz.atspace.com/) which uses Cyclone core 0.0086 (I think). Since Masterall's version is using the same version of Cyclone, I don't understand why the rom compatibility would be any different.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Dan

Guest adolfotregosa

hi, just to tell that picodrive is a great piece of work. I have a qtek 9000 and it works, just have a litle problem. I have slowdowns. I'm playing e.g. sonic or streets of rage 2 and it slowdowns and then returns to normal, why ??

Guest masterall

danvan:

it has many things other than cpu core, so the compatibility is a bit different.

adolfotregosa:

try disable shadow & highlight and enable fast render

Guest adolfotregosa

found my problem. Jasjar when working on battery is slower, if i plugin ac the slowdowns disapear. So i did a quick test with xcpuscalar. I told jasjar to work at 520 mhz (no overclock) and it solved my problem when on battery ! So the trick it to make jasjsar think it's working with ac pluged-in.

Thank you for your time.

Guest mikeeey
new version released, portrait full screen mode is available for both 176x220 and QVGA screen.

thanks. but i thot there was gonna be a postage stamp size screen. like the first example shown in Cescone 's example. well for now the stretch-to-fit size works

Guest masterall
Hi all,

Just got my first windows phone (Orange M3100) after having been a long-time Symbian UIQ (P900) user.

One of the best apps on UIQ was PicoDrive.

I've just given Masterall's port a go, but for some reason it does not run a couple of games I used to play on the UIQ version.

Has anyone managed to get the following games running on Windows Mobile?

Megalomania (also known as Tyrants)

Warsong

I used to run PicoDriveN 0.92 (http://notaz.atspace.com/) which uses Cyclone core 0.0086 (I think). Since Masterall's version is using the same version of Cyclone, I don't understand why the rom compatibility would be any different.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Dan

I tried the game u mentioned, Warsong_(U)_[!] and Mega_Lo_Mania_(E)_(REV_01) is able to run with some graphics defects. but Mega_Lo_Mania_(E)_(REV_00)_[c][!] is unable to run.

nice job masterall, everythings perfect except 1 minor thing. could u change the frames per second to frameskip? and also could u make it so its adjustable, before with frames per second it wouldn't let u backspace. if u could add arrows left and right to adjsut the numbers that would be cool.

rite now im using raspberry software's "true connect" to change the numbers using the ctrl+x (cut) function and then typing in the numbers i want.

Edited by mikeeey

danvan:

it has many things other than cpu core, so the compatibility is a bit different.

Thanks for trying Masterall. I've tried some other versions of Megalomania and have found one that seems to work.

For Warsong I've found another Genesis emulator - it seems a bit slower than picodrive, but it works with no graphical glitches: http://n0p.averest-k.ru/?Devel

Cheers

Dan

Guest Tedorama

Hi, first off many thanks for updating this wonderful emulator, I love having sonic 3 and streets of rage 2 in my pocket, beats any mobile or java game.

I have a slight simple feature request/suggestion which would benefit me and im sure plenty of others,

It concerns diagonals, my PPC d-pad does not register any diagonal presses, only up, down, left and right,no combinations. and to play some games (well Rocket knight adventures) you need diagonals....

although it can be done by changing the controls to other buttons, and then back again

Anyway I had an idea... a setting in the controls to assign buttions to up-left down-left down-right etc so all directions are available, could half fix this problem

It would make it easyer to play this and im sure other games that have this problem.

just a small suggestion.

Thanks

On the subject of controls...

I don't suppose the sourcecode is available is it? I'd like to add a virtual joystick. The joystick "center" would be recalibrated each time you began to touch the screen.

Many thanks

Dan

Guest masterall

Tedorama:

To set some other key to up-left may still inconvient to control, while there is not too much keys on PocketPC. I hope someone can made a screenpad screen contain direction keys, so I can add a new screenpad later.

danvan:

Your proposal is to add a configurable screen pad, isn't it?

Guest Tedorama
Tedorama:

To set some other key to up-left may still inconvient to control, while there is not too much keys on PocketPC. I hope someone can made a screenpad screen contain direction keys, so I can add a new screenpad later.

danvan:

To show how it would help here is how id set the controls

post-207376-1159336568_thumb.jpg

Masterall:

Yes, but I have very little time for home projects nowadays. My plan was to keep things extremely simple. No graphics, menu options only. Rather than specific "hot zones" I'd try something a little different: when you begin a screen press, this would become the joystick center. Releasing the pen would cancel any current direction.

Anyway I thought I'd give it a try if you wouldn't mind me having a look at the sourcecode (might have to wait a bit, I've not got a PocketPC dev environment set up yet and I've somehow managed to corrupt my phone's ROM... :rolleyes: )

Cheers

Dan

Guest Smartastic

masterall, any change of supporting NINE WAY KEYPAD http://www.smartphone.net/software_detail....eid=279&id=2133 with your emulators, its a commercial piece of software that changes the keyboard to nine way keypad, you obviously know that almost all HTC devices only has a 5 way keypad and also multipress works with only 3 keys......

Edited by Smartastic

masterall, any change of supporting NINE WAY KEYPAD http://www.smartphone.net/software_detail....279&id=2133 with your emulators, its a commercial piece of software that changes the keyboard to nine way keypad, you obviously know that almost all HTC devices only has a 5 way keypad and also multipress works with only 3 keys......

i tried using that software and it sucked. cuz for 1 the keypad is big (for using as a joystick) and 2 it doesnt give u much else for buttons.

i tried using that software and it sucked. cuz for 1 the keypad is big (for using as a joystick) and 2 it doesnt give u much else for buttons.

really the only things that needs to be changed is replacing frames per second with frameskip and adding a 240 x 216 resolution setting but also keeping the QVGA to choose from too.

Guest Smartastic

the software doesnt suck, its not to big and yes it doesnt give you much else for the other buttons (but enough, 14 buttons that is !!, as it only uses 9 keys)

i can also ask this question; masterall can u code ur emulators so that the keypad/joystick becomes 9 way and can u also make any key multipress functional on HTC phones ? the answer would obviously be NO...

damn htc with there hardware issues LOL ;D

Edited by Smartastic

the software doesnt suck, its not to big and yes it doesnt give you much else for the other buttons (but enough, 14 buttons that is !!, as it only uses 9 keys)

i can also ask this question; masterall can u code ur emulators so that the keypad/joystick becomes 9 way and can u also make any key multipress functional on HTC phones ? the answer would obviously be NO...

damn htc with there hardware issues LOL ;D

well ok yea its good for doin everything except games, cuz their really fast and that would be hard cuz it requires a lot of reaching on a number pad. when will htc make a 9-way joystick...

Edited by mikeeey

• 2 weeks later...
Guest masterall

yes, i agree with mikeeey. To get best experience with action games, a bluetooth keypad is needed.

danvan:

I prefer use screenpad on a blank space, because our thumb will hide some part of the game screen if screenpad is on the game screen.

mikeeey:

The reason why it does not provide frameskip setting is it already has auto frameskip enabled, the auto frameskip will skip atmost 4 frames. fps limit is used to slow down the game speed. I will add the original portrait display mode in the next version.

the new version supports rar and mdx format