PicoDrive 0.52 an updated version for PocketPC/SmartPhone

Guest masterall

Guest masterall

@CharlyV

The main problem to use gsGetfile is that it unable to support SmartPhone.

If there is someone modified it for both SmartPhone and PocketPC, that will be grateful!

@kevinsephiroth

Save state is incompatiable rightnow, the old save state did not save the state of sound chip. So it is possible to reuse the old save state, but may still have some problem with sound.

@jutley

I guess what you mean is to stretch the display to fullscreen without remaining aspect ratio?

Guest jutley

yes can you posibly strech the display to fullscreen without remaining aspect ratio on potrait mode please please along as its playable.

Guest jutley

i downloaded your update today and it seems fine working well to be the best of the best megadrive emulator in the world.

Guest kevinsephiroth
It is modified based on PicoDrive 0.30 for PPC, supports 176x220, QVGA and VGA for both PocketPC and SmartPhone now. Sound, 6-button gamepad and ziped rom features are added into the current version by me.

ChangLog

2006.1.7 0.31

2006.1.8 0.31

2006.2.19 0.32

2006.2.27 0.40

2006.2.28 0.41

2006.3.2 0.42

2006.3.4 0.43

2006.3.9 0.43a

2006.3.20 0.43b

2006.5.3 0.44

2006.5.14 0.45

2006.5.15 0.45a

2006.5.20 0.46

2006.5.21 0.46a

Never seen a guy who gives so much time for his application!!! very good work man you re worth a nobel smartphone price!

Guest masterall
Hi!

Can you tell me where can i get the 0.46a version?

Does it work on an SPV C500?

Thanks

You can get it in the frist page. Yes, it works on C500.

Guest mattlacey

;) :P ;)

I was really hoping someone would pick this up again! Respect is due mate, your effort's are greatly appreciated.... I've only got one issue.. multiple keypresses don't work on the Universal, is this a HW issue or SW? I hope it can be fixed, there's always minor issues crippling phones for games ;)

Guest kevinsephiroth

I was really hoping someone would pick this up again! Respect is due mate, your effort's are greatly appreciated.... I've only got one issue.. multiple keypresses don't work on the Universal, is this a HW issue or SW? I hope it can be fixed, there's always minor issues crippling phones for games ;)

i think it's an hardware error as on c600 you don't have it....

Edited by kevinsephiroth

Guest masterall

Like kevinsephiroth said, I think that should be a problem of the keypad driver, which only handle one key press and discard the old.

Guest zfunk007

I just installed version 0.46a and I'm still having the "blank grey screen" error when I break out of a game and then try and go back in. Weird... I am using a Cingular 2125 Smartphone which I guess is the equivalent of a C600. Anyone know how to fix this issue?

Other than that, its running great. Shinobi 3 runs pretty well as well as Sonic and Revenge of Shinobi. And I agree with jutley, on a smartphone the screen is way smaller than it needs to be. You should do something like Pocket Nester Plus or PocketSNES 1.52 where the game uses most of the screen and keeps the aspect ratio good. I'll see if I can post some pictures of the games on my phone for examples...

Guest zfunk007

Ok just disreguard that last post... I was using the wrong version. I now have version 0.46a and the grey screen error is fixed. However.... the speed has suffered it seems. Shinobi 3 which was working great on version 0.45 now is very slow... strange...

EDIT: Just ignore me... I have been playing with it now for a while and it works great... Great job Masterall.

I'll post some pictures soon.

Edited by zfunk007

Guest korayem

Whhooooww!!

I cant describe the feeling I had when I ran the latest version 0.46a and heard the sounds of Sonic 3 running into me ears!!

Works flawsly and like nothing else on my iMATE KJAM.

Why is it cool? well I've been running the original picodrive 0.3 and sadly masterall's version(s) didnt work on my iMATE KJAM. Ver 0.3 didnt have landscape and no sound.

So imagine 3 months of playing with a small screen and no sound and then suddenly giving me the game in full landscape mode WITH SOUND.

Now, I have to re-play all the games again ;)

THANK U THANK U THANK U AND KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK MASTERALL....YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

Guest zfunk007

I agree, I played around with the emulator for around 4 hours last night and just about every game I tried ran perfectly and with sound (and I tried about 20 games). Even games like Taz-Mania and Dick Tracy worked very well. If you tweak the settings a bit you can get just about full speed with sound. Turn the sound sample rate down to 22050 (you can't even tell the difference anyway) and you can also leave FPS Limit off as well as Fast Render and I get just about full speed (with my phone overclocked to 264 Mhz that is).

So it's great. I love it. Keep up the good work Masterall. Really all this emulator needs now is a little speed increase for people with slower cell phones and it will be just about perfect.

Guest masterall

@zfunk007

Well, the problem you mentioned that the screen usage of PicoDrive is not as good as PocketSnes is caused by the different resolution between Sega Genesis and SNES. The real Genesis support up to 320x240(Picodrive support up to 320x224), but the real SNES support up to 256x224. Thus, the aspect ratio is slightly different. In PocketSNES, portrait mode is 170x148 for 220x176 screen size SmartPhone and 256x224 for QVGA screen size SmartPhone. In PicoDrive, portrait mode is 192x144 for 220x176 screen size SmartPhone and 240x180 for QVGA screen size SmartPhone. So, you can see the difference.

A solution is to use portrait large mode for some Genesis games which only have 256x224 resolution. In PicoDrive, portrait large mode is 192x168 for 220x176 screen size SmartPhone and 256x224 for QVGA screen size SmartPhone.

@dijital

Because it is already too many work to do for snes, genesis and GBA emulator, the PC Engine is not on the plan yet. However, the smartgear 0.12 is already able to play pc engine games with full speed.

Guest zfunk007

Good point Masterall. I never realized that. But now that you mention it, I did notice the differences on the PC emulators in the resolutions. I tried Portrait mode and it looks fantastic. So I think I will just use that from now on. It makes my gamepad positioning a little awkward, but I can manage. The screen size is so nice that it's worth it.

Thanks again for a great emulator and keep up the good work!

Edited by zfunk007

Guest CharlyV
@CharlyV

The main problem to use gsGetfile is that it unable to support SmartPhone.

If there is someone modified it for both SmartPhone and PocketPC, that will be grateful!

If i have time i will take a look. At moment I am very busy with our programs, because new updates for SKScheMa and SKTracker are coming soon...

Guest masterall
ok, try this game.

it needs a key combination to make an action...

how can you do this? I'm using it in a c500

Don't using direction key, try using number key instead. That's the problem of c500's keypad driver.

Guest zfunk007

Version 0.47 works great masterall. Just thought I'd mention a few other things I noticed. I think the program might have some sort of memory leak. If I'm playing it for a while the emulation tends to slow down over time. To solve it I have to restart my phone and then the games run at full speed again. I don't have this problem with your SNES and NES emulator ports. Just thought I'd mention it.

Also, I have tried about 100 games now and about 90% of them work with sound and with good speed. Although I did notice 2 popular games that still have problems. Kid Chameleon works, but without sound. And I can't get Flashback to work at all. It takes me to a black screen with yellow text across it with a bunch of numbers. And I don't think its the ROM because I have tried it on Fusion and GENS for the PC and it works fine. Strange. Just thought I'd mention that as well.

I will try and compile a list of games that still don't have sound if it will help you with your efforts. Thanks again for a fantastic emulator!

Edited by zfunk007

Guest masterall
Version 0.47 works great masterall. Just thought I'd mention a few other things I noticed. I think the program might have some sort of memory leak. If I'm playing it for a while the emulation tends to slow down over time. To solve it I have to restart my phone and then the games run at full speed again. I don't have this problem with your SNES and NES emulator ports. Just thought I'd mention it.

Also, I have tried about 100 games now and about 90% of them work with sound and with good speed. Although I did notice 2 popular games that still have problems. Kid Chameleon works, but without sound. And I can't get Flashback to work at all. It takes me to a black screen with yellow text across it with a bunch of numbers. And I don't think its the ROM because I have tried it on Fusion and GENS for the PC and it works fine. Strange. Just thought I'd mention that as well.

I will try and compile a list of games that still don't have sound if it will help you with your efforts. Thanks again for a fantastic emulator!

The slow down occurs when you play only one game or play from game to game(i.e. change games)? Is there any previous version has no such problem?

I tried Flashback-The_Quest_for_Identity_(U) is worked with sound. Is it the game you mentioned?

Guest zfunk007

Yeah it's when I go from one game to another now that I think of it. I played Earthworm Jim for about an hour and had no slow down. Then I switched to Aladdin and the game ran slower. Once I restarted the phone it worked fine. Perhaps thats it...

Flashback the Quest for Identity is the game I was talking about. Perhaps I'll get a different ROM and try it. Maybe your emulator doesn't like the particular ROM dump that I have. I'll let you know what I find out.

Guest masterall
Yeah it's when I go from one game to another now that I think of it. I played Earthworm Jim for about an hour and had no slow down. Then I switched to Aladdin and the game ran slower. Once I restarted the phone it worked fine. Perhaps thats it...

Flashback the Quest for Identity is the game I was talking about. Perhaps I'll get a different ROM and try it. Maybe your emulator doesn't like the particular ROM dump that I have. I'll let you know what I find out.

OK, its a important clue. I found a memory leak which introduced by the memory banking mechanism yestoday. But, its only occurs when play roms large than 4MB. I will check it again.

Guest zfunk007

That makes sense because Aladdin and Earthworm Jim are both later generation 24 Megabit Genesis games (the ROMS unzipped are probably around 4 megs each on the PC). So that could be it.

Edited by zfunk007