PicoDrive 0.52 an updated version for PocketPC/SmartPhone

Guest masterall

Guest mikeeey
yes, i agree with mikeeey. To get best experience with action games, a bluetooth keypad is needed.

danvan:

I prefer use screenpad on a blank space, because our thumb will hide some part of the game screen if screenpad is on the game screen.

mikeeey:

The reason why it does not provide frameskip setting is it already has auto frameskip enabled, the auto frameskip will skip atmost 4 frames. fps limit is used to slow down the game speed. I will add the original portrait display mode in the next version.

the new version supports rar and mdx format

is the auto frameskip always turned on? wat if on some devices it only skips at 1 or 2 frames per second when really we wanted 3 or 4? could u add an adjustable amount so we could get our preferred amount? not trying to sound so nagging and stuff but i was jsut wonderin.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest daedalia

Firstly, excellent bit of coding, low frameksip (think mine averages 1) with full sound, never though I'd see it.

I just have 2 very minor problems, I can't set buttons, not major as the defaults are well placed and the first game I load has choppy sound, second time I load all is fine. Also some games such as Ecco 1 & 2 have choppy sound on the first load and still have choppy sound on subsequent loads. Not fussed by these, my favourite games all seem to work flawlessly, but thought you would like to know. Might be they were originally slightly more processor intensive.

Thank you for your hard work.

Guest raidraid

First i want to say a BIG THANKS to masterall - his emulator is THE BEST. It's faster and smoother than the others even if the sound is enabled.

Here's my question: Masterall, do You plan to include a Game Genie (cheat engine) function in Your emulator?

It could be very nice. The reason i'm asking You is native PPC "joypad" - it is not so responsible as original and here's a lot of games (especially action-RPG's - Light Crusader, Land Stalker..) where the control becomes a BIG problem.

I know, cheating is wrong, but to die a lotta times just because of irresponsible joypad - it's boring.

Guest daedalia

raidraid; I have seen the Game Genie & Action Replay on a ROM site as a ROM download, I haven't tried it and am unsure if it's there because it works or for prosperity but it may provide what you are looking for.

Edited by daedalia

Guest daedalia

On further fondling I have found that some games run fine with fps limiter option off, others such as the sonic series run too fast and have to be set at 50 fps to prevent the sound breaking up. When it is set the games that were previously fine sound-wise have broken up sound.

Edited by daedalia

Guest raidraid
raidraid; I have seen the Game Genie & Action Replay on a ROM site as a ROM download, I haven't tried it and am unsure if it's there because it works or for prosperity but it may provide what you are looking for.

Thanks for your reply.

I have it (since i have full SMD romset) but it's useless. I'm pretty sure: originally it is something like a region key unit. i have an assumption original Sega cartidge must be placed into Game genie unit, and then it must be placed into cartridge place on original console (sorry for my english). But we cant load two ROMs (Genie and any other) at the same time in one emulator, so this function must be placed as an addition.

Waiting for Masterall's reply.

Guest masterall

raidraid

Yes, I found the same problem of the input, so the input system is improved in the emulator finalburn, however, the diagonal press like up-right still not work well for many devices due to hardware driver.

I will find documents of Game Genie later, it will be added if it is not too difficult : )

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PolloLoco

Wow Masterall! This is the best genesis emulater I've seen by far! I was using Morphgear, and am so glad I didn't settle into using it regularly. Your program is very fast, responsive - and has taken every ROM I've thrown at it. I'm very impressed. Thank you for your hard work. My XV6700 is overclocked at 624 mhz, and everything plays at blazing speed with full effects. I'm blown away. The only suggestion I might make is the same as the others - perhaps you should use a different "Rom loading" software so we don't get the trial warning.

As soon as I saw you did this, I decided I'd try to look up your SNES emulator. Unfortunately, I'm not having the same great experience - but I'll play with it. I'll post my comments on the other thread.

Guest PolloLoco
Pollolocco; somewhere in this thread, there is a download of tgetfile.dll without the trial dialogs.

Thank you Daedalia! I thought I downloaded the right version - but I must not have. I appreciate the help. As far as I've seen so far - this software is now perfect.

Guest urdone311

Everytime I try to open a ROM using PicoDrive (v0.051) the screen will go black, and then PicoDrive will just dissappear and go back to my file explorer. I'm using the Tgetfile.

Maybe its cuz i have the T-mobile DASH (excalibur)?

PocketNester basically does the same thing.

Guest PolloLoco
phone with a landscape qvga (i320, excalibur) is not supported by this emulator yet. I will add the support later.

What do you mean, Masterall? I'm using an XV6700 - which is QVGA, and I run this program in landscape mode all the time. It works great for me.

I have to add, though - that for some reason, your SNES emulator will only work with landscape left - but not landscape right. Kind of a weird bug.

Edited by PolloLoco

Guest daedalia

I recently upgraded to a SPV M3100 (HTC Hermes). When I load a game, pop back to the menu to load a save state for example and resume the game it basically slows down to something like 1 frame per second. If I go into the sound configuration and change a setting like stereo or the frequency, resume the game, all is good. I assume the audio stuff is re-initialised when changing the sound config and loading a ROM. Any chance the audio can be re-initialised when resuming emulation for future versions?

First game load still produces choppy sound, subsequent loads are fine.

Ignore my previous comment about button mapping, this was Wisbar Advance 2 not playing ball.

Edited by daedalia

Guest Benton Quest

Hi there,

More than 1,200 people have downloaded PicoDrive from this thread. Everyone's happy with it except for two people that have reported that the "Load Rom.." option on the File menu does not work (it does nothing).

Well people, I want to be happy too! But PicoDrive v0.051 on my T-Mobile SDA (HTC Tornado) does exactly that, that is, the "Load Rom.." option does nothing. :) I've spent a while reading thru all the pages in this thread to no avail. No solution offered to the other two posters that reported the same problem. :D

Come on people, someone has to know something. Please kindly help.

Regards,

-Benton

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mikeeey

i think theres a memory leak in this, but im not sure. after running picodrive and Omapclock, and then quitting picodrive, i tried running it again and all the games were really slow. then i restarted my phone and it was normal speed again.

when i restart my phone i have 27,000kb of ram. when i run a few programs and quit them i have 21,000kb of ram. when i try running picodrive on 21,000kb of ram its slow, so i need to restart my phone. is that a memory leak?

Guest masterall
i think theres a memory leak in this, but im not sure. after running picodrive and Omapclock, and then quitting picodrive, i tried running it again and all the games were really slow. then i restarted my phone and it was normal speed again.

when i restart my phone i have 27,000kb of ram. when i run a few programs and quit them i have 21,000kb of ram. when i try running picodrive on 21,000kb of ram its slow, so i need to restart my phone. is that a memory leak?

ok, I will check the problem later.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RealUnrealwolf

I have a problem with PicoDrive: i can set volume buttons as controls, but in game it isnt work. Is ther a way to make it working??

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ashgotti

I was having the problem where load rom didnt work and i think i know why. I googled sega roms and some were .sms and some are .smd. well i was trying .sms and they dont work but .smd works.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest thecresta

Strange question - hopefully somebody can help!

I'm trying to import a save state from a PC-based emulator into PicoDrive, in particular a 'completed' Sonic 3 & Knuckles save state.

I see PicoDrive 'save states' are saved as *.mds files and 'battery backups' as *.srm.

I've only been able to find *.gs0 states which are not accepted by PicoDrive. I have tried opened the *.gs0 file in Kega to produce a *.srm battery backup file. But when I put this into the PicoDrive folder and load it up, it overwrites it with a new *.srm file. I presume it is incompatible rather than a bug.

I've already completed this game many of times in the past, and would like to be able to select what level I would like to play instead of having to spend hours completing it again.

Does anybody know if this is possible?

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kamuell

I agree with Benton - what is the issue with the rom loading?

The version I have saves them in .srm and .mds.... neither works; nothing happens.

to me, the issue appears to be that the tgetfile doesn't know which file i want to load. i.e. it won't select the one file listed.

any help?

P.S. great work masterall

Edited by kamuell