PocketSNES 1.53

Guest masterall

Guest zooomer

This emulator runs fine on the Touch Pro.

You just need this utility to switch the phone's input mode so you can properly setup keys.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...652#post2791652

Then in the Display settings set it to Landscape Right. Also when setting input the directions are messed up. UP is actually left, RIGHT is actually down.

For SNES gaming on the Touch Pro I find the most comfortable key combination is WASD for directions then for your 4 main buttons: J, K, U, I

The problem is, the performance is still not great. Even with sound disabled it runs barely satisfactory. Is okay for RPGs, maybe not so much action games.

I found that I prefer Morphgear for SNES. The emulation is more accurate, it looks cleaner, and for performance it runs about the same speed as PocketSNES with sound disabled.

*patiently waiting for a new SNES emulator optimized for Touch Pro*

• 1 month later...
Guest talic209

I have Pocketsnes 1.53 on my samsung sch-i760 and it works great except for one problem.

It wont play in landscape right.. When I start a rom in landscape right the screen is diced up.

All the other modes work great. But it sucks playing with the keyboard above the screen.

I really wanted to play this way if someone can help me I would really appreicate it.

Guest Zabii

I cant seem to get any of the pocket snes to work on my omnia, got a game to load once and thats it. It goes to load the rom and just sits there with a black screen.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest wuwtk
I have Pocketsnes 1.53 on my samsung sch-i760 and it works great except for one problem.

It wont play in landscape right.. When I start a rom in landscape right the screen is diced up.

All the other modes work great. But it sucks playing with the keyboard above the screen.

I really wanted to play this way if someone can help me I would really appreicate it.

i have the same exact problem... i would try morph gear that is working for me.

Edited by wuwtk

• 4 weeks later...
Guest laferriere597

I'm trying to run PocketSNES on an LG incite, but I can't get a keypad to display on the touchscreen and there aren't enough buttons on the device. Anyone have this problem?

Guest TJSomething

Hey. I have this problem where, if I'm playing a game, my Blackjack II freezes when I have an incoming call, and I have to pull out the battery to reset it. Is there anyway around this problem? I'm using Windows Mobile 6.1.

Edited by TJSomething

Guest sharkfinrazor

3.58 Mhz powering from a super nintendo and 528 Mhz on a htc touch pro....

why the hell can't something powerful be more consistant in working than something less?!!!

i might as well wait in the future when windows mobile FINALLY has the sufficient power to run windows XP. windows mobile is sometimes a joke when it comes to performance.

Guest deathbypotato7x
Highlight:

1. smooth stretch for all display mode, text is much easy to read with smooth stretch on for SmartPhone

2. support both zip and gzip rom

3. some speed hacks to get it faster

4. support all 176x220, 240x240, 240x320, 320x240, 480x480, 480x640 screen size devices

1. add support for 240x240, 320x240, 480x480, 480x640 screen size devices

2. change the action for lost focus from exit emulator to pause emulation

There is a quirk when enabling sound. First enable it with sound sync, exit it. Open it again, then the sound is enabled.

To achieve a better emulation speed, turn off sound, and use frameskip 4 with frame autoskip enabled.

It need a free version tgetfile.dll to run, which can be get from http://tillanosoft.com/ce/tgetfile.html

How exactly do you install this on a moto q? I am new to windows mobile.

Guest nothin

why the hell can't something powerful be more consistant in working than something less?!!!

i might as well wait in the future when windows mobile FINALLY has the sufficient power to run windows XP. windows mobile is sometimes a joke when it comes to performance.

ask HTC, lol!

you surely know nothing about cpus.

running xp on pda, sweet lord, get real.

you think that your 528 mhz is more, than 386 sx 16?

hahahaha.

windows mobile is sometimes a joke when it comes to performance.

let me assume - your 528 mhz = 300 mhz xscale or even less, btw.

repeat slowly after me:

t-h-a-n-k y-o-u H-T-C f-o-r t-h-a-t e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e s-h-i-t.

info for normal people:

xscale users - just forget about psnes presented here, it is omap/samsung/quallcomm optimised ONLY.

check pocketsnes by n0p, or snesvj4u to full snes experience on xscale devices.

sound on max, 60 fps is nothing hard to get on xscale device.

hint: do NOT use sound interpolation, never ever.

sorry for post, i just couldn't resist....

Edited by nothin

Guest FlashT

Any idea how to make the sound work after turning it off and saving game state? I turned sound off, played Earthbound for like 3 hours and saved state... then when I wanted to load it with sound, It didn't work... in first location sound doesn't work at all, and when I enter other location (like building - where sound changes), game freezes... Please help me... Did I waste 3 hours?

Guest FlashT

Is there any faster emulator with sound? I noticed that with sound enabled, Sm_rtSnes_V2 is fater than PocketSNES, but it's not full screen on HTC Diamond :D Do people work on new emulators or everything stopped at 2005? 

Guest nothin
Any idea how to make the sound work after turning it off and saving game state? I turned sound off, played Earthbound for like 3 hours and saved state... then when I wanted to load it with sound, It didn't work... in first location sound doesn't work at all, and when I enter other location (like building - where sound changes), game freezes... Please help me... Did I waste 3 hours?

theres nothing you can do.

nic nie zrobisz, wlaczenie soundu wiesza emulki wszystkie(z linii psnes, w tym i snesvj4u) po zaladowaniu save.

Edited by nothin

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paraxis

I'm stuck!! When trying to select a ROM, I accidentally selected an empty subdirectory and I am not able to navigate out of there!

Afterwards, when I restart the app, it defaults to that directory. What's more, the "File" and "Option" selections at the bottom of the screen don't work there...

Is there an editable file that stores the default directory? If I could edit or delete it, it would probably resolve my issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tgwaste

Hi,

Any way to make this support treo pro screen resolution? 320x320?

verison 1.52 will load the rom but the screen is messed up (ive included some pictures).

version 1.53 wont load any rom, it just crashes.

also in the settings menus i can not scroll down. it just jumps back to the top when i try.

the smartgear author fixed this problem and made this note:

"Microsoft made dialog scrolling automatic on SmartPhone and manual on Pocket PC. I have to treat the dialog box like a custom drawn window and deal with all of the scrollbar messages."

so i hope its not to much of a pain. <_<

post-459797-1243140149_thumb.jpg

post-459797-1243140154_thumb.jpg

Edited by tgwaste

Guest 88Saleen351
I'm stuck!! When trying to select a ROM, I accidentally selected an empty subdirectory and I am not able to navigate out of there!

Afterwards, when I restart the app, it defaults to that directory. What's more, the "File" and "Option" selections at the bottom of the screen don't work there...

Is there an editable file that stores the default directory? If I could edit or delete it, it would probably resolve my issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Best way to fix that,browse to the empty sub-folder using your devices local file browser.In that sub-folder,either create an another sub-folder or copy one of your rom files into that folder.This way,when you start up pocketsnes and browse for roms,you will be able to move the selection to your previous folder.It's a glitch in either tgetfile or the emulator.If there are no more than one item in the file listing and you cannot move the curser,then it wont (HIGHLIGHT) an item and WONT select or (SEE it).This is a common issue.I just create a dummy folder and use that so I can move the curser down (so highlight activates),then move it back up so I can get out of that folder.Just don't select the dummy folder,or you'll be right back where you started.

Where is masterall? I have not seen him post in a long while.

TGwaste,there is currently no support for 320x320 displays.Unless,have you tried version 1.47?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest wakatsik

i can run the program but i can't load any ROM

whenever i push the file button a selection appear(load rom, save state. load state, etc.) but i can't access the load rom, it just sends me back to the same screen.

Edited by wakatsik

Guest nothin
im using q9h

have downloaded the emulator but it can't open any roms

how can you load the roms?

rtfm? add gsgetfile.dll to emu folder ffs.

Edited by nothin

Guest mikeeey

It's because as of right now there is no device that can smoothely run windows mobile, it takes up way too much CPU power, so it leaves almost nothing for gaming. Also, qualcomm processors aren't making it any better...

This is why I'm switching to symbian 60 for now. Nokia N82 and N95 can play SNES and GBA at full framerate with sound. Not to mention, it can play quake 3 at about 25fps, with the accelerometer if you wish. Of course it plays quake 1 and 2 as well.

Guest nothin
It's because as of right now there is no device that can smoothely run windows mobile, it takes up way too much CPU power, so it leaves almost nothing for gaming. Also, qualcomm processors aren't making it any better...

This is why I'm switching to symbian 60 for now. Nokia N82 and N95 can play SNES and GBA at full framerate with sound. Not to mention, it can play quake 3 at about 25fps, with the accelerometer if you wish. Of course it plays quake 1 and 2 as well.

lmao, mikeeey

i have no problems with snes 100% emulation with sound, even with UNDERCLOCKED cpu.

so your statement is just false at this point.

my slogan is: just xscale.

---

i agree, that qualcomm and samsung cpus are changing pocketpc phones, and smartphones into just weak phones, nothing more.

not to mention lack of buttons(ffs).

Edited by nothin

Guest mikeeey
lmao, mikeeey

i have no problems with snes 100% emulation with sound, even with UNDERCLOCKED cpu.

so your statement is just false at this point.

my slogan is: just xscale.

---

i agree, that qualcomm and samsung cpus are changing pocketpc phones, and smartphones into just weak phones, nothing more.

not to mention lack of buttons(ffs).

ah yes.. "right now" there is no device that can run it.

"back then" there was.

"hopefully in the future" there will be. lol

I believe my statement still stands correct, well, besides that one 1.0ghz device, I can't remember what it's called.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest secretman
2 big problems with games..

Legend of Zelda & Final Fantasy V

played Legend of Zelda for about 5 hours now and finally got to the dark area of the castle.. unfortunately cant see anything at all! :D tried transparency/stretch etc.. no change..

and similiar issue in FFV too.. get to the ship graveyard about 45 minutes in and you go underwater can you cant see yourself :) so impossible to navigate..

i have read that you may need to turn off and on layers in the game (zsnes).. tho unfortuntately thats not an option in snes 1.53.. any ideas guys? ;)

I have this problem also. Maybe Mastemall know what to do.

Guest 88Saleen351

Masterall? I wouldn't go lookin for him. Don't think he even logs on Modaco anymore.

Gsgetfile? That is a different version for older emulator versions. You'll need Tgetfile.dll. Without it, the emulator can't "SEE" the files or folders.

One of the primary reasons these emulators don't run well on many devices, they were not coded for ARM CPU's. The older rare ARM versions run like a turbo car, but these only run on pocket pc's. It's the same way with Picodrive 0.52. Half the games wont run properly because the emulator was coded for OMAP CPU's. Those with OMAP cpu's have no trouble running 99.9% of the games. Those with Intel StrongARM CPU's will experience excessively fast frame rates and choppy sound on about 50% of the games. It is NOT a speed issue. More like a compatibility issue. Whatever code that is used for OMAP optimisations doesn't work well on ARM CPU's and causes uncontrollable FPS syncing. The lack of an adjustable audio latency/buffer is a big minus.

Choppiness isn't a problem in Pocketsnes. Rather Frame rate. Games like B.O.B. run SUPER FAST as it doesn't use much of the SNES advanced graphics functions. Other than that, most games are unplayable on ARM CPU's because it is just way too slow. Again, it is OMAP optimised.

It's a shame there hasn't been much in the works when it comes to Genesis & SNES. Most devs are focused on Iphone emulators. PocketSNES is sooo old. The last update for this was in 2006...............................2006! There is something newer being worked on, but so far it only runs on touchscreen devices. dev is working on non-touchscreen support as we speak. Looks very promising as it is ARM optimised and runs many games very well WITH sound. I forget the name. Will post name when I find it again.