SIM Unlock MPX 200 for free :)

Guest njitram

Guest redlabel6
Crazier things have happened... but if you're having trouble...

I got an e-mail from someone trying with no luck on unlocking his mpx200 with my site. After endless aggrivation, and 3 days of e-mails, he e-mails me and said he got it... so I asked him how he got it to work, here's what he said:

"Hi. I did it on my other computer. I do not know why it didnt work on my other

computer with exactly the same process."

Strange... :)

But, I guess if you're STILL having problems, try another computer. ;)

Eerything seemed to work fine until i tried the Motorola mobile upgrade on it. I get this error message;

"Bad News! Upgrading Motorola MPx200 has failed. Please re-upgrade the Mobile or Contact the Service Provider."

has anyone encountered this problem??

Guest ChrisThorne

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions here, and to rasoul for having

put in the time required to help figure this trick out!

For my part, I still haven't successfully executed MPX200_Backup.

The smartfon.inf driver, apparently for XP, does install under my

Win2K system.

Starting the phone in modem mode does cause it to show up on the

list of active modems. It can be sent the standard query string, and

it does respond to that query.

I have run MPX_200_Backup a number of times now. I did set 256KB,

and RAW. I did, as suggested, create an empty file OLDSIM.RAW, and

I did use the browse function to select that file. And I did capitalize the

file extension.

The program runs, and it does cause the backlight on the phone display

to cycle as it does that. At the end, though, it pops up not the expected

one, but two incomprehensible dialog boxes in succession. And the zero

file length of OLDSIM.RAW does not change. Gnar.

I have tried a few more things. I went in and attempted to send the

modem the query string again after MPX_200_Backup finishes running

and has been closed. In that case, the modem does not reply. Battery

must be pulled to reset the unit.

I altered the speed parameters under the modem driver settings, and

disabled the UART option. This did not change the behavior at all.

I've run the program with and without a SIM card installed.

I did find a note about disabling ActiveSync on the phone, but I am

unfamiliar with Windows for phones. I haven't had any luck in forcing

it to bring up a config screen: as soon as the unit finishes booting up,

it goes to an inescapable screen saying, "Insert SIM -- Emergency

Calls Only".

Open to suggestions here, if anyone has any! Thanks.

Guest ChrisThorne

Ah, forgot one thing, of course.

I'm attempting the unlock from a laptop. Found a note to the effect that

the MPx200 likes about 500mA of current, and that some USB ports may

not provide this much.

No idea what this system actually puts out. But the phone is plugged in

directly. There is no passive hub wasting power.

Guest ChrisThorne

Okay, I repeated the identical sequence on someone's XP desktop

machine, and it worked perfectly on the first go.

There are two things which suggest themselves as having caused

the operation to fail on a Win2k laptop:

(1) the person who wrote the application may have used an XP

specific API call. Tsk. Poor software engineering practice, unless

it was for something the app really needed (unlikely). But since

I have benefited by this anonymous Chinese programmer's work,

I am not going to complain too loudly.

(2) the USB port on a laptop may just not put out enough current

to keep the phone happy while this operation is going on. I would

guess that the phone interprets low current as risky in the context

of allowing reflash operations.

Anyway, if anyone else has trouble, I recommend scouting around

and trying different systems.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dodding nonkey

Brilliant! Worked a dream first time! Now I can tell Orange to stick their itemised billing charge where the sun don't shine. Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed their bill increasing since the itemised billing charge was introduced. (only applicable if you didn't agree to pay them for itemised billing). I asked them to Sim unlock my phone a few times in the past and they told me they couldn't (read wouldn't)

I know the Mpx 200 is soooooo 20th century now, but I like it, its small and does what I want it to

Guest rasoul

Hey, sorry haven't been on here much to comment, but thanks fluffcat1 for the awesome DOS/directory tips and everyone else contributing tips.

In the instructions I put a definite path of C:\ to make it more universal and not have to worry about "am i in the right path?" - you could just create the oldsim.raw (and consequently newsim.raw) right on the c:\ directory. (that's why in step 2.b.3 I have them specify C:\oldsim.raw, because just oldsim.raw would put it in current directory, and it makes it easier to get lost on the DOS part, depending on the perspective)

Notice the first step is to cd (change directory) into the folder the tool is located in... then after that, point to c:\ for oldsim.raw and newsim.raw. Either method works though, you just need to be careful and either use all full paths or all relative paths. :)

Again, thanks for the pointers.

Guest rasoul

Another issue I'm not sure about... user sent me this e-mail.

..."I got stuck in the very first step. You said turn off the phone and press the left arrow button and then connect it to the computer. Once you hear the ding noise let go of the left arrow key. This did not pull up the found new hardware for me. I tried it a few times but without any luck. Could it be that since I have the motoroloa mobile phone tools installed on my machine, that it is not asking for a driver? In that case what should I be doing?"

Anyone have any ideas?

Guest rasoul

I was e-mailed this question:

"I did everything to the very last step but it says 'bad news failed updating'. I followed everything exactly as your guide said. What could be the problem?"

I would start troubleshooting with the newsim.raw file...

What is the file size? Is it zero kb? If the file is empty it could be that either the template file (haha.raw) is also empty or oldsim.raw is empty.

• 2 weeks later...
Eerything seemed to work fine until i tried the Motorola mobile upgrade on it. I get this error message;

"Bad News! Upgrading Motorola MPx200 has failed. Please re-upgrade the Mobile or Contact the Service Provider."

has anyone encountered this problem??

Got the same message. Everything worked fine until this last step. Tried it again, reinstalling the modem driver and upgrade wizard, but the result was the same. Also have tried to flash other ROMs onto the phone, but again the same message. It seem that the flashing won't work. Any solutions??

My MPx200 is locked to Orange UK, and am using Windows XP on my laptop.

Hi jl13,

Have you tried it using a PC instead of your laptop, I think there may be a power supply issue when using a laptop?

Couldn't believe it, but it did work when I tried another laptop (did not find a desktop).

Thank you very much for your help!!

This MPx200 looks like a very nice phone indeed. :D

Guest xxcrashxx

then again, in that sense, i used to not be able to detect it on any of my usb ports except one, that one doesnt work now after a reboot, but i used a usb hub/card reader thingie, and when the phone is connected to that, it worked fine.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest niklanderson

WORKS 100%

I unlocked my mpx200 locked to Orange network

I used .RAW upper case instead of .raw in the instructions and all is fine!!!

Guest Laanie

Hi, my mpx200 was stolen a few months ago and I blacklisted it, but I got back a few weeks ago and now my vodacom sim card says 'no service', only my cell c sim card works(im on a contract with them so I went through them) I then foned vodacom customer care and they said itz blacklisted and I have to go the police.....

I then tried with my wm2002 mpx200, rasoul's sim unlock method 3 times and none of them worked. it still says no service. Now im just wondering can I use rasouls method or is it only for phones that have been default network locked.

I now upgraded to Wm2005 today and dont want to take a chance flashing an IMG. Cause I already needed to flash the fone 3 times for wm2005.

Anybody have any ideas, or must I just go the "legal" way.

Thanks

Hi, my mpx200 was stolen a few months ago and I blacklisted it, but I got back a few weeks ago and now my vodacom sim card says 'no service', only my cell c sim card works(im on a contract with them so I went through them) I then foned vodacom customer care and they said itz blacklisted and I have to go the police.....

I then tried with my wm2002 mpx200, rasoul's sim unlock method 3 times and none of them worked. it still says no service. Now im just wondering can I use rasouls method or is it only for phones that have been default network locked.

I now upgraded to Wm2005 today and dont want to take a chance flashing an IMG. Cause I already needed to flash the fone 3 times for wm2005.

Anybody have any ideas, or must I just go the "legal" way.

Thanks

Nothing to do with the simlock mate, it's barred.

The IMEI has been barred and the only legal solution is to get whoever barred it to unbar it

• 3 weeks later...
Guest xxcrashxx

nope, no legal way to upgrade to 2k5 considering there wasnt an offical rom made for the mpx200. if u were to change the imei, then the vodacom sim might work. but i believe thats against the law for you. in the us ive never seen or heard of anyone getting fined for using a phone w/out a valid IMEI. i have heard its illegal over in certian parts of europe. not too sure where tho. i was able to do it to mine, but i dont know how i did it. LOL

Edited by xxcrashxx

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, my latest stumper...

"First off, i would like to thank you for your well put together

instructions on the MPX200 unlock. It worked perfectly, but once the

MPX200 was unlocked i found that much of the functionalities aren't workin

properly. For example, i no longer have speaker phone, can't access

expanded memory card, and more long can i use Active sync on the phone.

The reason i'm reading this email to you is, i was wondering if there was

anyway to re-lock the phone?? I'm considerin relockin the phone, because i

wanted to try out other ways of unlocking it so that the functionalities

might work again."

In theory, the phone can be re-locked by starting at Step 4 but changing all references to "newsim.raw" to "oldsim.raw" - that way the original file gets reflashed to the phone.

I've never heard of this unlock affecting other areas of the phone. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest dodding nonkey

On the subject of hard reset....

Has anyone performed a hard reset after having used Rasoul's software to SIM unlock their phone? Does the phone remain unlocked or does it revert to the old locked status? I only ask because my battery has been playing up a bit (short life, rapid discharge...same old, same old!) and I'm going to do the ususal cure, charge it fully then hard reset, however, comma, if I do, will I have to unlock the phone again? If I do, will it work without a SIM (oldsim)?

Guest awarner (MVP)

As the fix is technically a part flash I would expect it to stay unlocked, but I think it's going to be a matter of trying and see what happens.

Guest dodding nonkey

Oh well, I'll just have to try it and see. I'll post the result on here so that others may follow(or not if it all goes horribly wrong...)

Guest cinnamon
As they have 2003 this may be the issue, most people SIM unlocked before upgrading to 2003.

If you can find a 2002 ROM it may be worth downgrading to see if this makes a difference.

Has anyone been successful using this unlock process with a 2003 upgraded MPX200? If so, was there something different you needed to do to accomplish it?

Thanks,

C

Guest cinnamon
As they have 2003 this may be the issue, most people SIM unlocked before upgrading to 2003.

If you can find a 2002 ROM it may be worth downgrading to see if this makes a difference.

I just had great success with the unlock kit. First I rolled my phone back to 2002 - so not sure if the 2003 would have worked. I ran into the problem of the ???? button being unavailable and tried a dozen things with no luck. Then I went to my XP sp1 laptop just to see if the problem was sp2. Sure enough - it worked exactly as as the tutorial said-not a single hitch.

Thanks Rasoul, :)