I love my SPV - it is great!

Guest hardysmith

Guest hardysmith

I've had my SPV since before Christmas, and yes I've had some minor problems. There are still a couple of very minor problems with it, but on the whole it is a great phone.

It's so easy to post a negative comment on these forums, particularly in a moment of anger.

I'll never go back to my Nokia.

Guest spacemonkey

Yeah, my SPV is all goodness. My last Gameboy didn't even let me make phone calls... this thing is a big step up.

I'll replace it in a year of course when I'm due for an upgrade. The main thing I love about this phone is that it's a nice open OS that you can easily extend with homebrew/freeware applications. Symbian is really a bit proprietry and closed to most people (even though they've addressed this a bit with the J2ME implementation, but then, the SPV SHOULD have J2ME).

Guest cplowman

I have to say, I think it depends on your 'technical ability' - I have ditched my SPV, not because I think its crap, but because its just not for me. I think its a great phone, with huge (untapped as yet) potential. Much to everyones amusement (i'm sure) I have gone back to a 7650:

- no speed problems

- POP3 email access

- GPRS WAP access

- normal speed text messaging

- no backlight issues

- battery life 60 plus hours

- infra red sync with PC (outlook contacts and calendar)

-GPRS counter included

- lots of downloadable Java games and other utils

- polyphonic tones

- excellent call quality

-voice dialling

- images assigned to contacts

- excellent camera (two button pushes to use, as well)

- no bugs

- no need to hard reset

- no 'hourglass'

- full date and time on homescreen

- no need for complicated xml customisation

- image viewer

- measurement converter

- ringtone composer

- in call recording

- easy MMS facility

- good sized screen

etc etc

The only drawbacks I see (again, these are for me personally)

- size

- no Media Player (although mp3s can be converted to .wav and played on the phone) but RealPlayer is available for streaming video thro' GPRS connection

and thats it............

hi cplowman,

the funny part is: you are still here - even if you own a nokia phone. it seems to me like you will return to the spv when a couple of bugs will be fixed - maybe with an update sooner or later.

speaking for myself: the spv is definitly the smartest phone i ever owned. with a little tuning (big thx to this forum and the nerds on it!) it is handsome, useful and of course stylish (especially here in germany where you can't go to stores and just buy it if you wan't it, telekom will bring the next version from htc since the spv is exclusive to orange...). it always depends in what you wanna do - i wan't my contacts and dates in my pockets, a tool for a little entertainment with music and pics of my kids, the ability to surf the web for information on the go, mail connection and messaging functionality. all that comes in a very nice and for my taste easy to handle package in the spv.

just one thing hurts me as spv user: the battery is too poor to use all the nice features excessive. but i guess thats a problem we could expect from a ce-driven device. i remember this kind of discussion when it comes down to the battle between palm and ppc's. and something else has to be remembered: i had a couple of phones before - motorola, nokia etc.. they've had all kind of problems when they first came out. the hardest thing i remember was the motorola startac 85 - it switched itself off while i did phonecalls, i had to replace it at least 3 times till i had a working one. or the nokia 7110 - a freezer-phone. release battery to get it back to work. i guess it needed ours in the nokiashop to play a new software version on it. but all that seems so far away today.

i'll stick with my spv. and i know a lot people who would like to have one. i wouldn't recommend all of them to have one, but if you like playing around with things, love to discover what lays in your hand - then the spv is the phone you should have. we'll see what follows this first try.

cheers, lutz

Guest Gorskar

I considered getting the p800 too, but in the end I went for the spv.

Main reasons I got the spv over the p800 are

1)Spv is available (sortof) now. Still no sign of the p800

2)Nice and small for so many features

3)Price was right (free on contract yourplan200).. As the p800 has more pda features I imagine it will cost significantly more.

4)Takes SD/MMC memory. p800 is stuck with expensive/limited capacity memorystick duos

Things that I think the p800 does better are: Uncertified apps?? Ability to enter text fast by writing on the screen, voice dialing, inbuilt camera as opposed to separate attachment Bigger screen (although the spv screen is very very nice + supports higher colour depth)

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

The mp3 player and mobile e-mail sold it for me.

I've not owned the same mobile for more than a year yet though, so next jan i'll be looking at whatever SP2k2 has evolved into or a 3G phone. Failing that i'll probably look into an a PDA running PPC Phone Edition. Stylus's (Styli?) rock.

Guest Shire29

Well apart from internet & e-mail access anywhare i go, MSN, and 3 or 4 albums of music and a movie on my phone, it's become a new hobby messing about with different home screens, wavs for rintones, movies encoding, etc. ect. but most of all, it's this community that has developed, all fantastic dudes and dudets, I think it's really very very kewl.

Cheers, Shire ;)

Guest spacecowboy6982

while i'm ere u've not got a chance m8...my spv is officially f***ed. Will need 2 wait until the living legend "Space Monkey" wakes up 2moz!!! U all hav fun with Doom etc while i play solitare ;)

SpaceCowboy

First post

SPV is the best phone I have had by a mile (and I've tried a few). Like Monolithix I've never had a mobile for more than a year but this may be the exception.

I read this forum almost daily and seem to be one of the lucky ones who got a phone with very few problems.

But for this forum I would probably have sent it back after 2 days.

Brilliant forum, keep up the good work.

Davy.

Guest HelloDave

Great to see we're going from several "My SPV is crap, I'm gonna send it back and sue Orange" posts a day to a few more positive ones like this one! Personally I love my SPV; now it's unlocked its true potential is starting to show. Yes, you still have to buy a few apps to get it to work well, but it's still a bargain of a phone for what it does. I have to admit that I like to experiment with my gadgets, and the SPv is perfect for that; what other phone can you play Doom on and listen to MP3s?!

Comparing the current "smartphones"; the 7650 to me is very 1st generation; it's nice but has limited memory and is a brick. At the end of the day it's a top end mobile phone with a Java VM that can sync with a PC. It is however more accessible for technophobes than the SPV for that very reason. The SPV is a good PDA/phone hybrid; the battery life doesn't bother me too much, it's no bigger than my old 3330 and i've got used to its "quirks" now! The P800 is a very nice device, but it's much more like the XDA; a PDA with a phone built in and for me it's a brick, and still has limited memory (unless Sony really pull their fingers out with Memory Stick DUOs, which seems unlikely!)

Just my $0.02!

of course the SPV is great!

not only for all the above reasons, but also for the look on my 'i don't really know about technology' mates faces when i explain to them what it does!

to them REBOUND is the most unbelievable thing, can't wait for what the superbrains on this site will come up with next ;)

keep it up everyone

I couldn't even bother reading the whole topic, just here to say:

I second that!! Love the phone - pretty amazing, full of features, nice design and it's just damn good!

Shame, phones are designed to be social creatures. This one is the opposite.. It keeps you glued to the internet (hint hint, P).... I know I am sad.. Just as well I know you are too!! See how many good men this phone has turned into maniacs.. We will all need glasses with thick lenses soon (hint hint P, again..) he he he

PS: some bugs - oh well, remember switching from DOS to 3.11 to 95? Seemed to be plenty of stability/bug issues, BUT - anyone here using 3.11 at all?? :roll:

Oh well, just one line turned into a whole story - damnit!! :?

Guest Matt Whitfield

I like the fact that my SPV managed to survive a colleague spilling his pint all over it at lunch today!!!... Fortunately the tidal wave of beer only got the battery (the phone was swimming in it) and screen, not the keys, as I didn't really fancy sticky keys!

Good to see the mods are hard at work ;p

ha ha!! always my friend, always!! :roll:

i kinda guessed what it was all about... and by the way - this needs to go to Off Topic chat.. he he :wink:

pjh - just stick doom or interstellar flames on it and see what they think ;)

I do like my spv - for reasons other people have raised above. Now if only I could get that damn gameboy sound working.. Grr..

Guest Gorskar

Yes, I've only had it a week and a half, but it is one extremely nice phone.

What can I say: It does everything incl playing music and taking photos, it looks nice, and now its decertified can play gameboy games too!!

I'm just glad I got it before everywhere ran out of stock! (I had to phone round a fair few places to find one in stock when I was looking)