Orange SPV M600 hit the shelves?

Guest Brody

Guest Stabilo

If you find the M600 under performing (speed, battery life, bluetooth, ActiveSync, available memory) I suggest you hard reset and soft reset within the 3 second warning before the Orange cab's install.

All you really need to know are the GPRS settings for T-Mobile (you are all using it unlocked on Web n' Walk aren't you ;) ?).

Choose Cellular Line GPRS

Access Point: general.t-mobile.uk (NOT co.uk)

User: user

Password: user

Domain: (i.e. blank)

Set GPRS to PAP authentication

SMS and voicemail will work without any adjustment.

MMS if you need the details are:

Gateway: 149.254.211.10

Port: 9201

Server: mmsc.t-mobile.co.uk:8002

Not worked out how to activate MMS (anyone know?) yet but as I email all my photos it's not important.

Pros:

GPRS seems to stay connected longer

Storage memory up to 42MB before installing my applications (a dozen applications installed incl Tom Tom, mainly to SD card, and still have 36MB storage)

Quicker backups (no Orange cab's installed)

Runs faster (probably better battery life but too early to tell)

Fixed a bluetooth bug for me (headset was disconnecting once the call was connected)

Fixed an ActiveSync problem (lost the ability to connect before the hard reset)

Cons:

GPRS just shows as connected rather than how long (anyone know a reg edit or small cab for this?), not really important on Web n' Walk.

Not found any other cons yet but I'll let you know if I do.

Connects to 802.11g networks first time and Pushmail is all fine without the Orange cab's.

• 1 month later...
Guest tbcuprat

:) Not sure if I'm missing something obvious here but here goes..

Orange Online have been out of stock for months.

The shops Laugh at me now when I pop in saying they're waiting their allocation or they're in the warehouse... blah blah blah bull.

How the hell do I sign up and get one of these bad boys. If you could see the state of my C500 you would pee yourself.

Cheers guys.

Guest sporkguy
:) Not sure if I'm missing something obvious here but here goes..

Orange Online have been out of stock for months.

The shops Laugh at me now when I pop in saying they're waiting their allocation or they're in the warehouse... blah blah blah bull.

How the hell do I sign up and get one of these bad boys. If you could see the state of my C500 you would pee yourself.

Cheers guys.

At the Orange Shop I used to work for we had a waiting list - as soon as the phone arrived we'd call the customers to see if they wanted us to keep one aside for them for a couple of days.

Best thing to do is call into your local store and see if they offer something similar :)

Guest maxwell_hung
I have an M500 just now. Sadly, my contract doesn't expire until late July. I'm planning on doing some hardcore bartering this time round. Does anyone know if Orange will match 3 tariffs? I can get 400 mins voice calls, 25 mins video, 25 free MMS,

Guest teefaf

Thanks maxwell. In the end, I've opted to drop my current contract to PAYG, then port the number over to my new M600 contract when it finally comes back in stock.

For anyone who's interested, my deal is Raccoon35, 240 minutes any network anytime (360 for 6 months), 120 minutes to landlines, 500 texts/month for

Edited by teefaf

Guest tbcuprat

teeaf...

Thanks Dude. Seems they are in stock so I took the offer with half line rental for 18 months. :)

Now need to port my number when it turns up.

You Guys Rock.

Guest tbcuprat
Dude, if you do decide to order, could you please use this link: http://www.freedom-mobiles.co.uk/cgi/frefe...fer=cust1037286

If you go through that link when you order, they'll credit me a tenner! Didn't think of this last night when I posted... but would be much appreciated.

I hope you've not already ordered! :)

just phoned them and they said "uch noo. Yi canny doo that wance the orders been placed"

They have also said they're not in stock and that they're waiting allocation as well. :)

Never mind I'll get one of these one day.

Guest teefaf

Oi, watch it - I'm Scottish too! :)

Thanks for trying anyway mate - much appreciated.

Funny that they're saying they're still awaiting allocation - they've been showing as out of stock all week; the stock status has just been updated today. No idea what's going on there!

Still it's a good deal, so I'm happy to wait. :)

Guest tbcuprat
Oi, watch it - I'm Scottish too! ;)

Thanks for trying anyway mate - much appreciated.

Funny that they're saying they're still awaiting allocation - they've been showing as out of stock all week; the stock status has just been updated today. No idea what's going on there!

Still it's a good deal, so I'm happy to wait. :)

I'm scottish as well but speak with a funny English accent. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest teefaf

My M600 arrived this morning, well chuffed!

A few questions, though:

1. Has anyone got a decent replacement for the SPB GPRS Monitor Today-screen plugin? I'm missing it already!

2. Has anyone bought SPB Pocket plus? I'm thinking fo getting, but was wondering if it's overkill? Is it worth the money?

3. Do I really need to charge the battery for like 16 hours on the first charge, even though it's Li-Ion?

I'll doubtless think of more the second I've posted this!

Guest teefaf

1. Good question! I sort of posted before doing my research, but then discovered this soon after... tut tut! ;) TO be honest, I really only used GPRS monitor for the Today screen plugin - I liked the battery & brightness meters, & the shortcuts to IE & messaging. Never used it for anything else!

2. On my M500 I used vbar because it's tiny and keeps task management simple. It does the job really well. Been using PocketPlus for a while now, and it's OK, but just seems like it does all this stuff that's not neccesary. I'm wondering how much it's slowing my machien down.

3. I gave up after about 6 hours! :)

Many thanks for your responses.

Guest Zahid

Got my text from Orange upgrades telling me to ring them to arrange delivery of the M600. Phoned them and was told sorry, none in stock :)

Checked with a 'supervisor': non in stock. ;)

Guest pisquee

Checked on orange website yesterday, and under upgrades the M600 was back in stock, so I completed the forms and applied for it. I got SMS and emails saying the order had gone through, followed by an SMS saying it would be delivered today between 0900 and 1730, so I waited in all day. At 1730 I phoned upgrades who phoned Parceline to be told it wasn't on Parceline's systems. they are going to phone me back tomorrow. argh.

Guest pisquee

Well, turned out that Orange were out of stock and their computer systems were wrong, and shouldn't have allowed me to upgrade. One woman from OCS/Upgrades called me back and said that she'd put me on a waiting list, a mam phoned me back and said he'd cancel my upgrade and call me back to reprocess another order -this has not happened yet.

Orange website still showing M600 as available to upgrade!

Guest pablo1000
Well, turned out that Orange were out of stock and their computer systems were wrong, and shouldn't have allowed me to upgrade. One woman from OCS/Upgrades called me back and said that she'd put me on a waiting list, a mam phoned me back and said he'd cancel my upgrade and call me back to reprocess another order -this has not happened yet.

Orange website still showing M600 as available to upgrade!

I called upgrades as soon as I saw they were back in stock (Weds last week?), upgraded and changed to an 18 month tariff. They warned me I would be placed on a back order, which I thought is fine, as long as I get the phone at some point soon. Previously, they said I couldn't do this as the phone was showing as 'out of stock'.

So, perhaps a little foolishly, I'm waiting for a call/text to say my phone is now in stock and to arrange delivery. Any bets on when I'll get the phone?

Guest carlosp_uk

:)

OK, get this. Something very bizarre is going on.

I've also been waiting for nearly a month now on the "backorders" list for an M600, as a loyal customer for six years of Orange they said it would be in stock at the beginning of July.. ..then proceeded to run out of stock and never phone me! I've called back several times since, including when (as you spotted) they mistakenly put it on the web as 'in stock' last week. They told me that it was an error, in fact they DONT have any stock and DONT KNOW when it will be back in stock. This was even after I had said I'd had enough and was going to leave Orange.

Anyway, today I decided that I'd REALLY had enough and called to cancel. However, I spoke to a different cust. services representative, who put me on hold.. ..then came back online and told me: (quote)

"Okay, I've had a look and I can see that you really have been waiting for quite a long time for this phone, so I will sort that out for you."

...just like that! Even though, supposedly, they didn't have any in stock - for backorders, upgrades, new phones or otherwise! Oh, and this was the FIRST person I got through to, it wasn't anything special like the retentions department.

So, if Orange tell you that they don't have any M600's... ...they are LYING. (I double checked that it was a new handset, not reconditioned)

MY M600 ARRIVES TOMORROW!

Hope this helps,

Carlos

Edited by carlosp_uk

Guest carlosp_uk
Let us know if one will actually turns up or not then!

Yep, arrived this morning! Am now having an overclocking and installing frenzy!

Guest Subform
Yep, arrived this morning! Am now having an overclocking and installing frenzy!

Morning - this is my MoDaCo debut, but I felt compelled to write a post on this. If you are using an SPV M500, I really wouldn't recommend upgrading to an M600. I've been an avid user of the SPV since it was initially launched in smartphone format.

I have to say that I am really quite disappointed with the new phone - I mean, YES its got Windows 5 OS, but it comes with some serious issues, like a processor which is 1/2 the speed and a speaker on the back which distorts the sound even on a gentle ring.

I signed onto an 18 month contract so I could get the free broadbband and now I am stuck with this phone which, in my mind is inferior to its predecessor

Sub

Guest musicvan
Morning - this is my MoDaCo debut, but I felt compelled to write a post on this. If you are using an SPV M500, I really wouldn't recommend upgrading to an M600. I've been an avid user of the SPV since it was initially launched in smartphone format.

I have to say that I am really quite disappointed with the new phone - I mean, YES its got Windows 5 OS, but it comes with some serious issues, like a processor which is 1/2 the speed and a speaker on the back which distorts the sound even on a gentle ring.

I signed onto an 18 month contract so I could get the free broadbband and now I am stuck with this phone which, in my mind is inferior to its predecessor

Sub

Hi,

I currently own an SPV M500 and was thinking about upgrading to an M600 for the following reasons->

- embedded WiFi support (had a SDIO card for the M500 but pain to use, swapping cards)

- persistent memory included with WM5

- improved navigation without need for stylus

I thought the processor has spec-ed at a lower speed on paper but in real life use the difference is not an issue and improves battery life, maybe someone who has used one of these can comment? Will it support skype?

The M500 has the speaker on the back and I have had no problems with it, maybe it depends on the ringtone / level used? Is there is a fault let Orange know.

The only issue I have is trying to get one of these, my 12m contract has finished but I keep getting an out of stock message from Orange with no date when they might be back in stock! Surprised when a customer is told sorry can't have one and we are not sure when you can have one! Do HTC keep their deliveries a secret? Also the 8p unlimited data bundle sounds interesting, might wait to see if this actually exists (without major clauses). Or maybe its time to jump ship to another network (starting with a T!)....

Guest chucky.egg

The speed of the Prophet is fine

I wouldn't say you can use it without a stylus at all - many apps (including some built in ones) require screen taps in very precise areas which IMO requires a stylus

Not sure about Skype, but the Low_CPU version is likely to work, and over WiFi it should be OK.

Not aware of ANY other UK network carrying the Prophet. SIM-free may be an option, or maybe eBay.

Guest simonclark123

Having upgraded to the M600 from the M500, I too was seriously disappointed. I did try to like it and it certainly *looks* good. However, just scrolling down a pdf document on the M600 was practically impossible as the processor just couldn't cope. I'm now back using the M500 for now, unlocked to use with T-Mobile's Web'n'Walk (although now Orange have at last come up with a decent data tariff, I'll probably 'return to the fold' (I'd used Orange for nearly 10 years).

I would advise anyone still considering an M600 seriously to reconsider, firstly for the reason above (painfully slow processor speed) and secondly due to the new faster 3g and 3.5g models coming out soon.

The M600 is currently selling on ebay for about

I have also got an M600 after the M500 and wonder if handsets vary for any bizarre reason. I dont doubt everyone who says the processor is not an issue but my M600 is so noticabely slower than the m500. Apps take a while to open and one game I enjoyed on the M500 was "skyforce". This simply slows down and stops on the M600 so totally unplayable. I also tried the low power processor version of skype and even in the same room as my wireless router I couldn't do skypeout calls. Maybe just my handset? The improved hard keys WM5 and use as a mobile phone are fine though.