Activesync & USB troubles - MDA Pro

Guest geraintwd

Guest geraintwd

Hi, I'm having a couple of problems with my T-Mobile MDA Pro (HTC Universal (not Wizard - muppet :oops: )).

I have ActiveSync 4.1 and have installed latest USB 2 drivers for my mobo (the ones that came on the CD with the phone don't work for my PC). I have done a clean re-install of WinXP Home, all SPs and updates.

When I plug the device in, I get the message "USB device not recognised" pop up as a balloon in the tray area. If I reboot the PC, it still doesn't work. The only way to get rid of this message and get the PC to detect the MDA Pro is to reboot, go into the BIOS and set "Reset ESCD [Extended System Configuration Data]" to "yes", then reboot. After that, the device connects OK and I can sync.

If I unplug the device and plug it back in again, it says "USB device not recognised" and won't work again until I reboot and reset the ESCD again.

HOWEVER... now all of a sudden it won't even do that. After resetting the ESCD and rebooting, if I connect the device, it receives power through the USB and will charge the battery, however ActiveSync cannot see it - it sits there saying "Connecting" but never times out with an error (it's been sitting there for over an hour now...) and I can't explore the MDA Pro from the desktop either.

Does anyone have any ideas here, as I said I'm using the latest ASync (4.1) and the latest updates for the OS and all my drivers. I have tried 2 different USB cables (the one that came with the MDA Pro and the one from my old Orange SPV C500) and all 6 USB ports on the back of my PC (no hubs here!), of which 2 are USB 2.0 and the other 4 USB 1.1. All other USB devices (external HDD, flash drives) that I have tried work fine.

PC Spec:

ASUS P4T533 Mobo

512MB PC1066 RDRAM

P4 2.4GHz, 533MHz FSB (no O/C)

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

2 x 250GB Maxtor IDE HDD (1 internal, 1 external via USB caddy)

Win XP Home SP2 (full, not upgrade from Win 98)

I only have 20 albums worth of music on this thing and I want to sync some more as I am getting bored of this selection already!!!!

Thanks,

G

Edited by geraintwd

Guest fraser

It sounds as though the phone has a hardware problem or a corrupt ROM, but all I'm getting that from is the fact that the phone seems to be the only constant here.

Try this: kill the active sync process "WCESMgr.exe" and hook the phone up. It should I'd it as a USB modem IIRC. If that doesn't happen, I suspect the phone is hosed.

Guest geraintwd
It sounds as though the phone has a hardware problem or a corrupt ROM, but all I'm getting that from is the fact that the phone seems to be the only constant here.

Try this: kill the active sync process "WCESMgr.exe" and hook the phone up. It should I'd it as a USB modem IIRC. If that doesn't happen, I suspect the phone is hosed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm, I'll give it a go when I get home. Funny though, everything on the phone itself works fine.

Guest Disco Stu

I wouldn't bother.

Try uninstalling AS and deleting all synchronised files etc as part of the process. Then use XP's file search tool to remove anything with activesync in the name (apart from the original installer) and reboot both PC and phone.

Now put your lucky underpants on / get out your rabbit's foot / do a magic dance. Pray to your God for guidance on which USB socket to use. While you're at it, get him (or it may be Her) to bless the cable. Clear out your calendar because you'll probably be repeating this process throughout the weeks ahead.

Reinstall ActiveSync and create new partnership. Easy.... :twisted: :roll: ;)

Guest Disco Stu

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was worried about this - either phone or USB sockets were faulty - but it seems that AS is causing the problem. It seems AOL's browser is particularly incompatible with AS4 too. ;)

Guest geraintwd
I was worried about this - either phone or USB sockets were faulty - but it seems that AS is causing the problem. It seems AOL's browser is particularly incompatible with AS4 too.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AO-HELL? Wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'll try to reinstall AS though...

Thanks

G