Car holder blocks speaker

Guest gilesjuk

Guest gilesjuk

I've noticed the car holder blocks the speaker on the back. I wonder if it would make the speaker louder in the car if there was a hole there?

Also it would be the ideal place to drill a hole and place a Mic if you want to amplify the sound.

Anyone had similar thoughts?

Edited by gilesjuk

Guest chrisscott
I've noticed the car holder blocks the speaker on the back. I wonder if it would make the speaker louder in the car if there was a hole there?

Also it would be the ideal place to drill a hole and place a Mic if you want to amplify the sound.

Anyone had similar thoughts?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi, i never really noticed about the car mount blocking the speaker, until now you mention it.

but to be honest i dont think its gonna make a whole lot of difference by drilling out an area on the car mount, as all the sound going away from you anyway.

why not drill yours out and let us know if its any better :?:

but take the phone out of the holder before drilling :shock:

Guest gilesjuk
hi, i never really noticed about the car mount blocking the speaker, until now you mention it.

but to be honest i dont think its gonna make a whole lot of difference by drilling out an area on the car mount, as all the sound going away from you anyway.

why not drill yours out and let us know if its any better :?:

but take the phone out of the holder before drilling :shock:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm I might consider doing it. It might be muffling the speaker a little, the ideal thing would be to channel the sound to the front.

Guest chrisscott

ive just been out to the car to have a look at the holder, and as you can see on your own holder, there is a constant gap at the rear of the phone due to a rubber block on the car holder itself.

this rubber block means there is a gap of about an eights of an inch for the sound to ecsape. the sound can only travel up or down out of the back so i dont see it as too much of a problem.

if i wereyou i would leave it and not bother drilling it. it might not make much difference at all, and you might hash up the drilling anyway and ruin the holder.

if it aint broke............

Guest murf62

I don't think it makes that much difference either. My sound booms out with tomtom, it's only the speakerphone that's too quiet. I've not had a phone yet where the speakerphone is good enough to use on the motorway.

One thing I did think about the other day is this - Is there a device available that can send the audio over BT, then into the RCA inputs of an amp/stereo? It shouldn't be that hard to knock up by bastardising a BT headset. I just don't want to waste my time if such a thing is available 'off the shelf'.

The other (somewhat nastier) way of doing it of course would be with an FM transmitter like an I-trip.

Edited by murf62

Guest the_changing_man

TBH i really cant complain either....as murf says sat nav is 100% i can listen to music at a decent level and still hear the commands well enough...speakerphone has me shouting to be heard and i have to mute the music but i generally dont make calls in the car

Guest gilesjuk
TBH i really cant complain either....as murf says sat nav is 100% i can listen to music at a decent level and still hear the commands well enough...speakerphone has me shouting to be heard and i have to mute the music but i generally dont make calls in the car

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tomtom sounds quieter than on my SP5 though, it's a bit too quiet at times for me. Maybe it's voice dependant?

Guest arita99

Or is it a way to extract the sound files from tomtom and using a software to increase the volume? I did it with my mp3 ringtones and now it sounds a lot louder.

Guest gilesjuk
Or is it a way to extract the sound files from tomtom and using a software to increase the volume? I did it with my mp3 ringtones and now it sounds a lot louder.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, that's the way to do it. Use dynamic range compression (not data compression) to reduce the dynamic range and make it seem louder.

Tutorial here on Tomtom voices:

http://tomtom.graemelucas.co.uk/step1.htm

I'll try it later on.