'Unlimited' GPRS by T-Mobile Check the fine print

Guest fUNKUS

Guest fUNKUS

*Minimum term contract and credit check applies. Compatible handset required. Fair use policy applies: Relax web 'n' walk and Flext web 'n' walk price plans provide unlimited internet surfing on mobile handsets in the UK. To ensure a high quality of service for all our customers, they are not to be used for other activities such as (but not limited to): modem access for computers, internet based video/audio streaming services, peer to peer file sharing, internet based video download and internet based telephony. If such use is detected, notice may be given, after which network protection controls may be applied which will result in a reduced speed of transmission.

Just thought anyone with a charmer who has been offered 'unlimited' web and walk plans should check the bold. Its only going to be unlimitd for browsing, nothing else! I wonder why that print was soo tiny? hmm

Guest Confucious

It wasn't tiny and has been discussed in great detail in these forums.

It is still a bargain.

f you want to use it as a modem you'll have to wait for the Pro version due on the 17th.

Me? I'm happy with paying

Guest pjam001

yes there was much duscussion on this before it actually came out. i'm on one of the flext wnw deals and can't knock the deals t-mobille are offering or their customer services for that matter. I'm actually using the charmer now but plugged into tge laptop whilst the wife is on it. broadband speed on this is great. Gprs speeds whilst out and about can be lived with.

Guest Perfectionist

Wow ! Didn't realise 3G was covered in the bundle too !!

Does that mean if I get a 3G compatible phone ..... I can surf like a speed demon while sitting in the pub ??

Guest Confucious
Wow ! Didn't realise 3G was covered in the bundle too !!

Does that mean if I get a 3G compatible phone ..... I can surf like a speed demon while sitting in the pub ??

That's what I do with my Universal ;)

Guest jonajuna
Sweet !!

So the Internet can actually be properly used with a Universal !!

Can I also use skype ??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*Minimum term contract and credit check applies. Compatible handset required. Fair use policy applies: Relax web 'n' walk and Flext web 'n' walk price plans provide unlimited internet surfing on mobile handsets in the UK. To ensure a high quality of service for all our customers, they are not to be used for other activities such as (but not limited to): modem access for computers, internet based video/audio streaming services, peer to peer file sharing, internet based video download and internet based telephony. If such use is detected, notice may be given, after which network protection controls may be applied which will result in a reduced speed of transmission.

you could use skype, until tmob block you and cap your speeds

hey funkus, i guess some people cant read the fine print even after youve quoted it in bold print!!! ;)

Guest fUNKUS

hehe i suppose it depends on how much you intend to use it, for me the list of things you cant do is a list of things i want to do so it annoyed me alot when i read it.

sorry if this is a repost :roll:

Edited by fUNKUS

Guest Perfectionist

Dudes !!

Of course they will not allow VOIP in their "small print" ...... BUT could/would it still be possible anyway ??

I reckon yes, cos there is no real way they can identify what the internet traffic is being used for ......

Guest battletank
Why not just go for the Pro version which will allow VOIP?

Why do something that is specifically forbiden?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd love to go for the Pro version, however, I seem to recall that this is only available on the business version of the Flext tariff. As I'm not a business user and don't have my own business, this is not available to me as an option.

Guest Samsonite
Dudes !!

Of course they will not allow VOIP in their "small print" ...... BUT could/would it still be possible anyway ??

I reckon yes, cos there is no real way they can identify what the internet traffic is being used for ......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'm not an expert but i would still think 'they' can tell what you are passing to your device...

Skype does come in port 80 on the PC version - the same as internet traffic - but you make a TCP connection to the calling IP address.. Most internet-based traffic is UDP so if the T-Mob servers are able to suss out the connection tyoes, you may well get busted!!

slightly off topic, but our IT guy at work is having kittens about all of us sales reps having Skype on our laptops!!! apparently it rides roughshod over his security policy!!!

Edited by Samsonite

Guest LSmith4285

I'm guessing they won't care unless you get excessive with it.

If you start making a lot of VOIP then they have an excuse to stop you however if you use it once in a blue moon I doubt they would notice.

Guest jonajuna
I'm guessing they won't care unless you get excessive with it.

If you start making a lot of VOIP then they have an excuse to stop you however if you use it once in a blue moon I doubt they would notice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i too suspect that is the key, reading between the lines, there is a cap on amount of data. the reality of web browsing and email is that you cant really use up that much bandwidth, unless you have no life (especially on gprs), whereas the things that are banned like voip and streaming video are very highly bandwidth intensive.

at a guess id say they would get suss if a gprs user was getting through over 100mb a month and a 3g user maybe 5 times that

at a guess

skypes pants anyway and full of holes

and why oh why use voip when you could have shed loads of airtime for very little anyway.

ill save my video, p2p and other bandwidth intensive needs for my home pc and the connection and security i have there

Guest Confucious

In the Smartphone News section this has been discussed in detail - it is not the amount of data that's the problem but the way VOIP, streaming and downloading large files hogs the GPRS channels.

Like I say, there is a far more technical explination in the Smartphone News section for those that are interested.

I presume those using VOIP are using it for overseas calls but as I can't remember the last time I made a personal call overseas it's of little interest to me.

Edited by Confucious

Guest peekie

We have the same offer here in holland but also tmobile hot spots as well are included ( wifi internet found mostly in mc donalds ) where the laptop works a charm as does the phone. maybe the uk will also get that as well in the future ;)

• 11 months later...
Guest fUNKUS
i'm not an expert but i would still think 'they' can tell what you are passing to your device...

Skype does come in port 80 on the PC version - the same as internet traffic - but you make a TCP connection to the calling IP address.. Most internet-based traffic is UDP so if the T-Mob servers are able to suss out the connection tyoes, you may well get busted!!

slightly off topic, but our IT guy at work is having kittens about all of us sales reps having Skype on our laptops!!! apparently it rides roughshod over his security policy!!!

Basically when a group want to know whats being used on their networks its very easy to run a packet sniffer, since every program has a code directing the data packets towards the correct program. So just by using packet-sniffing they can tell exactly what programs you are using over the network.

Im not saying that a swat team is gunna break your windows in and storm using flashbangs ;) but dont be naieve enuff to think they dont know whats going through their networks, if loads of people start using skype and other high bandwith programs on their 'unlimited' system then they will fall back to the above policy and your data rate will get cut down.