A701 would you buy it again? or should I get one?

Guest dadhi

Guest dadhi

Ok guys,

I really need couple "second opinions" here ;)

I have been looking at this device for some time, was reading all the reviews/ect - as usually with something more or less complicated, there are some errors and annoying things that comes with device.

so, the question stands - despite all enevitable problems and small bugs, given the choice now, would you buy it again and would you reccomend it to me?

The idea is to use it as phone + GPS device in the car and maybe sometimes play something on it and send/get email.

I would really appreciate input :P

thanks in advance,

Andy

Guest jn753

I have been using it less than a week and it is my first GPS device.

I bought the device + all Europe maps from supergps (454 inc, next day AM).

I was very happy with them, but Citylink delivered at 11.52am of course.

It picks up a signal very quickly, sometimes in 5 secs after starting MioMap & on occasion, in GPSdash2, the satellites pane is full in about a second!

In the car it works fine, on the train for fun (!) a little less, but still works.

In building, not so great (obviously). I read somewhere somebody had a signal in the glovebox. I believe the SRIF (GPS) chipset is a version 3 which is much more sensitive.

I have not had problems understanding the MioMap interface (immediately I made it 'extended' i.e. expoert mode. The lack of full UK postcode inputs has not bothered me as you can still put in the first 4 digits & then the next line gives you a selection of roads & then asks you for the house number anyway. NB I am about to buy a 2gb card to fit the entire Europe map on (1.6gb) which avoids a MioMap software reset between ind. 'region' maps e.g. UK, France, 'The Alps', Germany etc. which are about 200-300 mb each.

The bundled kit in the box was the biggest set of extras with a PDA I have seen, including windshield mount. The lack of WiFi you can solve with a Spectec 802.11g card from Expansys, but I do not do much Wifi surfing as I have a 1kg laptop for that (1280x600 beats 320x240, the latter I find just too small).

The design is good and I find very aesthetic, and the machine was a lot smaller than I expected, although I guessed it was JAM sized, but the fact it has a full GPS that I have found to actually work, whilst hiking, is quite outstanding. The WM5 Mio skin works well in black. I have been through all the setting your own skin, background etc, but I will just live with this one, it is good enough. Also, Activesync 4.1 has so far worked flawlessly, but I do say that I did install it on a fresh XPpro installation (which did not have any Activesync on it at all!). That was due to my yearly reload of XP (which everyone must do unfortunately, I did not believe it, but now I regularly reinstall the O/S via fresh Norton Ghost images).

The main disadvantage is battery, but with careful setting, I think you will get at least 6h in the hand. In the car, the bundled cigarette lighter charger = no hassle (really, I am amazed at the extras bundled = leather belt case, wall charger etc).

Good luck with your research!

Guest gilesjuk

I'm sure I'd buy it again, although I really wish I could try out the Eten G500 as well, it's slightly bigger but I think the FM radio would be handy as well as the A2DP.

Guest Paul [MVP]

I will have a review up shortly... but in short, if you need GPS in a PDA it is the one to go for (exceptionally good SiRF III GPS implementation with assisted fix), else you should seriously consider the JAMin (additional hardware keys, AKU2 already, better cam...)

P

Guest gilesjuk
,Apr 12 2006, 13:39]I will have a review up shortly... but in short, if you need GPS in a PDA it is the one to go for (exceptionally good SiRF III GPS implementation with assisted fix), else you should seriously consider the JAMin (additional hardware keys, AKU2 already, better cam...)

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well you can argue the Eten G500 has a better GPS implementation given it has built in TMC hardware ;) same SiRF chipset.

But TMC isn't relevant in the UK yet.

If the G500 was smaller and had full size SD I might have gone for that, I just bought a full size 4GB SD and that's always the advantage with full size memory, cheap and large capacity :P

Edited by gilesjuk

Guest Paul [MVP]

How do you mean? The UK has an excellent TMC implementation.

I love full size SD too (I also have a 4GB!, I don't like the look of the G500 personally too.

It would be nice if the G500 had the newer SiRF firmware to do software-assisted first fix like the A701.

P

Guest gilesjuk

I thought the TMC wasn't available for free in the UK?

I know there's two systems but can anyone tap into these?

Also the software support for these is limited.

Guest jn753

*smile*

I do find the woman's voice for the MioMap v2.0 INFO quite pleasing... ahem... and of much higher quality than I was expecting - not sure if I would call that a reason to buy though! *laugh*

I don't know if anyone saw a program on TV which showed the male brain had a tendency to 'switch' off whilst listening to female newsreaders (as opposed to remembering more of the news when a male read it) - all I can say is, always stay alert when you are driving...!

regards