GUIDE: The good old picture browser on QTek 8300/8310

Guest jakobdam

Guest atlas

Interesting... good tip! Problem though - the send and beam functions don't work or aren't present. You also cannot set a picture to a contact.

It is however handy that it remembers the last folder opened (unlike WM5 where it defaults back to the flash memory and not storage card). T

he ability to zoom with up and down is also very handy (although you can zoom using the menu in WM5).

Lastly if you want the Camera button to function properly, put the program in the Windows directory as suggested, and not on the Storage Card as i tried to do =)

Guest wildhai

Hello

Thanks a lot for the Album

Its really great

How do I get album.exe into the start menu?

what else I am looking for?

Form Filler for Webpages (Login) with Smartphone?

A lot of programms for IE but none for Pocket IE on SD? Smartphone,

Solution for Active Sync 4.1 kills WLAN on WPSK TKIP,

8310 has no AEP!!!!

Handsfree is not loud enough, I cant hear the partner. But he can hear me?

Skype on Smartphone????

Faster Browser PIE is very slow, Opera mini is not much faster.

Thats it for now.

Any help is welcome.

Thank you

Guest atlas

To create the shortcut, go into File Explorer. Find the Album.exe and click Menu. Then create shortcut. Choose Windows/Start Menu.

Guest looeee

in case you've not worked it out there are the key controls for album.exe

6 fullscreen

1 rotate left

3 rotate right

2 flip

4 mirror

5 normal

* zoom 100%

0 slideshow

Guest looeee

i occasionally open pictures in the wm5 pictures and videos program because its editing and sending tools are ok

to do that i have made a file association in smartexplorer

browse to a picture in smartexplorer

push file->open->open with->menu->add to list

browse to \Windows\Pimg.exe

do not choose Always open with this app because you want pics to normally open in the old album program

click on pimg

next time you go to the open with menu pimg will already be on the list

you can reclaim file associations in Album.exe by going to menu->options->association

• 2 months later...

Ok, great modification but is there a way to make the old picture viewer the default app so that when you press '*' while in camera mode it brings this up rather than the WM5 version?

At the moment, this picture viewer just runs as a standalone app - any way to make it part of the system?

Thank you for the info and zip file!

The new 'Pictures & Videos' application on WM5 is one of the most dissapointing. I love the easier controls (particularly zoom) on the old application, as well as the ability to play animated gifs.

• 1 month later...
Guest harrysaab

hi

can u send me these files please as i dont have 2003se device

im using sp5

u can zip and attach these files to the reply

thanks.

The old multimedia browser on the Windows Mobile 2003SE was way better than the one embedded in Windows Mobile 5.0 (in my opinion).

The old Windows Mobile 2003SE multimedia browser could show pictures and sound files from subfolders - and it was WAY faster to zoom in and out, as well as change pictures, compared to the slow nuisance found in Windows Mobile 5.0.

This guide shows how to port the excellent Windows Mobile 2003SE browser to your Windows Mobile 5.0 device (propably Smartphones only - sorry PDA-users).

The trick requires that you have access to a Windows Mobile 2003SE device, part from your Windows Mobile 5.0 phone.

1) Connect the Windows Mobile 2003SE unit to your PC using ActiveSync.

Copy the following files to your PC (they're located in the folder \Windows\):

Album.exe

Album.exe.0406.mui

Album.exe.0407.mui

Album.exe.0409.mui

Album.exe.040C.mui

Album.exe.0410.mui

Album.exe.0413.mui

Album.exe.0C0A.mui

2) One copied to your PC, make them a ZIP-file; this is necessary as Windows Mobile 5.0 will not otherwise transfer them.

3) Copy the ZIP-file to your Windows Mobile 5.0 device (i.e. QTek 8300/8310). Open your file browser on the phone, and unzip the ZIP-file - place all unzipped files in the \Windows\ folder.

4) You're done! - Now execute the Album.exe file in the \Windows\ folder :)

Enjoy the speed and versatility of this picture viewer :D

Best regards

Jakob Dam // Denmark

• 3 weeks later...
Ok, great modification but is there a way to make the old picture viewer the default app so that when you press '*' while in camera mode it brings this up rather than the WM5 version?

At the moment, this picture viewer just runs as a standalone app - any way to make it part of the system?

I've had to replace the Pictures & Videos application on my phone as well. I don't know why it quit working, and I didn't want to go down the hard reset path, so I've put this older viewer on my phone.

Now I'd really like to see what XSPYDA has asked about: Can the shortcut to Pictures and Videos be replaced with a shortcut to the new (old) Album app.

• 1 year later...

Does this work for Windows Mobile Smartphones 6 ?

My old Sp3 with windows 2003 doesn't allow me to copy the files.

Copied the version on the forum and copied it to the Storage Card (was a bit reluctant to put things into the windows directory- duh?)

Made a shortcut in the Start Menu. On running it, it says : Album is not a valid Windows CE application.

Oh! I am using a HTC s710 (windows mobile 6 based smartphone).

Any suggestions?

PS: Any other good freeware picture viewer, besides XnView?

(XnView seems slower and poorer and less intutive than the "Album" viewer)

Guest tobbbie

You have to "application unlock" your old device otherwise it will not allow you to copy from the windows folder. You must also take care that the Album program is not active when you copy (best is to reboot before copy).

Start the album.exe directly from filemanager - it should work. You may have created the .lnk file incorrectly.

For those interested: I have downloaded the Album from an SDA2 which works better on QVGA for some items that the original (qqvga) Album does not handle well: File selection lists are chopped at the end and replace the homescreen background puts a tiny qqvga picture there.

I will attach it here - remove it again if not allowed.

Mind that the package contains only the bare essential files - some dependent dlls have to be there as well. This one works for me on WM5.

HTC_Album_qvga.zip

You have to "application unlock" your old device otherwise it will not allow you to copy from the windows folder. You must also take care that the Album program is not active when you copy (best is to reboot before copy).

Start the album.exe directly from filemanager - it should work. You may have created the .lnk file incorrectly.

For those interested: I have downloaded the Album from an SDA2 which works better on QVGA for some items that the original (qqvga) Album does not handle well: File selection lists are chopped at the end and replace the homescreen background puts a tiny qqvga picture there.

I will attach it here - remove it again if not allowed.

Mind that the package contains only the bare essential files - some dependent dlls have to be there as well. This one works for me on WM5.

Thanks for the quick reply Tobbbie.

I expect that it is an unlocked phone, as phones instruments in India are sold seperately from the plans and this one was an Imate SP3. I did try to close all programs, though didn't reboot, before trying to copy. However, that issue has been taken care of, thanks to the download in this post.

Had considered the incorrect shortcut issue, and had tried to open the Album.exe file from the file explorer, however it didn't help.

I have just downloaded the file u have attached, copied it to the Storage Card, used explorer to run the Album.exe file.

No Gain. Identical results as before: " alert .... Album is not a valid Windows CE application"

(Have just rebooted the phone, just in case, and still the same result)

* Has anyone tried it on WM6 ?

* Is there any risk or gain in copying it in the /windows/ folder? (am not bothered about camera/album being opened from the other)

Any other suggestions for this ...

Or

if u can suggest a good freeware Image viewer ... pls visit : http://www.modaco.com/content/smartphone-s...s-wm6-standard/

Thanks.

Edited by g2l