So who's got a HTC 100/ 'startrek' /smartflip /qtek 8500 so far?

Guest fluffcat1

Guest fluffcat1
RE: topic title.. its the 'HTC Star100' not 'HTC 100' :)

Actually, according to HTC's own website, it's now the HTC STRTrk, although when I started the topic it was known as the HTC 100 and HTC Startrek, but I have already corrected myself as below...

For what I assume to be copyright / trademark resons it's the HTC STRTrk now although the official pictures are still labelled 'startrek'.

"08 May 2006, London: HTC, the global leader in Microsoft

Guest Untouchab1e

Well, I am so anxious to give this phone a spin. Therefore, if you dont mind, i have some questions about the device as well :)

1: First, and most important. How is the battery life? Its got a Litium-Ion 750 mAH, while the Qtek 8310 (or SP5m) got a a Litium-Ion 1050 mAH, and still doesnt last more then 1-3 days during normal use. Does the Qtek 8500 appear to be significantly poorer?

2: How is the camera compared to SP5m (Qtek 8310)? I know Qtek 8500 is fitted with improved camera electronics, just curious as to how much better it actually is.

3: How is the build quality? Are there any hints of "bad-sounds" when using the device?

4: How responsive is the phone? Any noticable lag in the menues etc? (The phone is fitted with the same CPU as the Qtek 8310, so shouldnt be a problem though :) )

5: On a scale from 1-6, how would you rate the phone? and why? ;)

EDIT: Oh and i almost forgot the nearly most important question! What color is the keypad-backlight? :D

Thanks so much!

Edited by Untouchab1e

Guest machiavell1
machiavell1,

If you don't mind me askiing, where did you actually get one from so soon?

I would love to get hold of one of these and the dates at Expansys keeps changing. not giving me any confidence to put a pre-order in. I phone Direct Mobile Accessories place who said it wasn't in stock and no idea when it will be :)

Any suggestions on where to source one now?

Many thanks for the help.

Mine is a pre-release but final version. Release should be within the month in Europe as I understand it.

Guest machiavell1
Well, I am so anxious to give this phone a spin. Therefore, if you dont mind, i have some questions about the device as well :)

1: First, and most important. How is the battery life? Its got a Litium-Ion 750 mAH, while the Qtek 8310 (or SP5m) got a a Litium-Ion 1050 mAH, and still doesnt last more then 1-3 days during normal use. Does the Qtek 8500 appear to be significantly poorer?

2: How is the camera compared to SP5m (Qtek 8310)? I know Qtek 8500 is fitted with improved camera electronics, just curious as to how much better it actually is.

3: How is the build quality? Are there any hints of "bad-sounds" when using the device?

4: How responsive is the phone? Any noticable lag in the menues etc? (The phone is fitted with the same CPU as the Qtek 8310, so shouldnt be a problem though :) )

5: On a scale from 1-6, how would you rate the phone? and why? ;)

EDIT: Oh and i almost forgot the nearly most important question! What color is the keypad-backlight? :D

Thanks so much!

No probs although phone is not with me right now so can't tell you what the back light is without checking (don't notice these things...).

1. Battery life has been good but not amazing - about the same as my old Razr or C600 (never had a sp5 which has wifi which will affect things). I am getting about 2 days with a few calls and lots of playing around with it, bit of bluetooth and push email enabled etc.

2. Camera is again ok for MMS and small snapshots - 1.3m, so was as my Razr. Can't remember compared to my C600. Nowhere near as good as my w810i which took decent photos (but that's not surprising!)

3. Build quality is very good. no creaks or loose parts and well put together. Sound quality good and reception seems pretty good. Keypad not as good as Razrs but seems pretty solid and responsive.

4. Good response. I have loaded it with software and plug ins, and it hasn't crashed once or lagged excessively. Bit of timer when you first load something but not for long and once programs are loaded they come up pretty quickly thereafter so once you have checked inbox or calendar, it flashes up quickly. Pure phone (as opposed to program) functions are sharp and lag free.

5. Why 1-6? I would rate it 5. It would get a 6 if the MMS wasn't such a PITA! I seem now to be able to send MMS, but the phone still tells me the MMS was unsuccessful, and also I can't seem to receive. Otherwise it has been great. Push email has been flawless. Really good. Tried mail2web and now 4smartphone using my gmail. I am also syncing my gmail calendar with Outlook using the connector I found on msmobiles so I have my GCal on there also! Excellent.

Guest Untouchab1e
No probs although phone is not with me right now so can't tell you what the back light is without checking (don't notice these things...).

1. Battery life has been good but not amazing - about the same as my old Razr or C600 (never had a sp5 which has wifi which will affect things). I am getting about 2 days with a few calls and lots of playing around with it, bit of bluetooth and push email enabled etc.

2. Camera is again ok for MMS and small snapshots - 1.3m, so was as my Razr. Can't remember compared to my C600. Nowhere near as good as my w810i which took decent photos (but that's not surprising!)

3. Build quality is very good. no creaks or loose parts and well put together. Sound quality good and reception seems pretty good. Keypad not as good as Razrs but seems pretty solid and responsive.

4. Good response. I have loaded it with software and plug ins, and it hasn't crashed once or lagged excessively. Bit of timer when you first load something but not for long and once programs are loaded they come up pretty quickly thereafter so once you have checked inbox or calendar, it flashes up quickly. Pure phone (as opposed to program) functions are sharp and lag free.

5. Why 1-6? I would rate it 5. It would get a 6 if the MMS wasn't such a PITA! I seem now to be able to send MMS, but the phone still tells me the MMS was unsuccessful, and also I can't seem to receive. Otherwise it has been great. Push email has been flawless. Really good. Tried mail2web and now 4smartphone using my gmail. I am also syncing my gmail calendar with Outlook using the connector I found on msmobiles so I have my GCal on there also! Excellent.

Thanks loads for the info! :) Btw, which version of the phone do you have? the one with three circles on the keypad (the old prototype version), or the new, and final one with one circle on top? Cheers! (dont forget to check the keypad light ;) Very curious as i love blue, and white is booring :) )

Guest machiavell1
Thanks loads for the info! :) Btw, which version of the phone do you have? the one with three circles on the keypad (the old prototype version), or the new, and final one with one circle on top? Cheers! (dont forget to check the keypad light ;) Very curious as i love blue, and white is booring :) )

It's the new and final one. Keypad light is white with a slight tinge of pale blue caused by the surrounding keys.

Guest Untouchab1e
It's the new and final one. Keypad light is white with a slight tinge of pale blue caused by the surrounding keys.

Kewl... would you be able to take and post some pictures of it? :)

Guest fluffcat1

Well, in light of my other topic being locked: http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=241133&st=20

does anyone have any real-life pictures of the pink version? Seeing as the poll has been forcibly closed (!)early I think I'll go for the pink despite public opinion for the black version being stronger.

If anybody wants the black version why not check out this ebay seller's link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=9143183419

Seller is nothing to do with me, has 98% positive feedback and has only recently been selling s300 smartphones.

He's selling the dopod s300 varient. They have english language menus etc. The seller has emailed me extra info and real pics of the phones but as with any internet purchase use your own good judgement when buying :)

As I've now supplied 'extra information' hopefully this link won't get modded or this topic closed but if it does feel free to pm me and I'll send you the ebay link. To quote peekie:

"If you had supplied the extra information then the link would not have been removed . all that was removed was the link if you check the post bellow it you will see that only the link was removed nothing else.

Topic closed"

Extra info duly quoted. I couldn't have quoted it in the original topic as, er, I didn't have it at the time....always nice when someone makes a comment and stops you replying eh?

Richard

Well, in light of my other topic being locked: http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=241133&st=20

does anyone have any real-life pictures of the pink version? Seeing as the poll has been forcibly closed (!)early I think I'll go for the pink despite public opinion for the black version being stronger.

If anybody wants the black version why not check out this ebay seller's link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=9143183419

Seller is nothing to do with me, has 98% positive feedback and has only recently been selling s300 smartphones.

He's selling the dopod s300 varient. They have english language menus etc. The seller has emailed me extra info and real pics of the phones but as with any internet purchase use your own good judgement when buying :)

As I've now supplied 'extra information' hopefully this link won't get modded or this topic closed but if it does feel free to pm me and I'll send you the ebay link. To quote peekie:

"If you had supplied the extra information then the link would not have been removed . all that was removed was the link if you check the post bellow it you will see that only the link was removed nothing else.

Topic closed"

Extra info duly quoted. I couldn't have quoted it in the original topic as, er, I didn't have it at the time....always nice when someone makes a comment and stops you replying eh?

Richard

:) ;) :D

Guest fluffcat1
:) :) ;)

I hope you're not laughing at my pink phone....

Seriously, maybe machiavell1 can confirm what I highlighted int he quote from the review linked in the other thread - is it 'metal construction'? The imate one that I had a play with a few months back definatley was plastic.

Richard

Guest machiavell1
I hope you're not laughing at my pink phone....

Seriously, maybe machiavell1 can confirm what I highlighted int he quote from the review linked in the other thread - is it 'metal construction'? The imate one that I had a play with a few months back definatley was plastic.

Richard

Definitely NOT metal construction. Well built plastic with metal keypad area.

Guest shadieb

Hi, machiavell1,

I wasn't criticising your buy it now price mate, it just seemed high compared to the other seller.

The other seller is selling Asian Dopod S300's. I emailed him asking about warranty etc. but they don't have one unless its sent back to Asia :) I aint risking money like that.

Looks like I will have to hope Expansys have finally got a firm date for middle of June.

Less then a fortnight isn't really a problem as I have been waiting ages already :)

Good luck with your sale.

Best wishes.

Edited by shadieb

Guest machiavell1
Hi, machiavell1,

I wasn't criticising your buy it now price mate, it just seemed high compared to the other seller.

The other seller is selling Asian Dopod S300's. I emailed him asking about warranty etc. but they don't have one unless its sent back to Asia :) I aint risking money like that.

Looks like I will have to hope Expansys have finally got a firm date for middle of June.

Less then a fortnight isn't really a problem as I have been waiting ages already :)

Good luck with your sale.

Best wishes.

I understand - I didn't assume you were!

If you want proper support (ie warranty, right to return etc), I would certainly wait for Expansys. They will get it eventually! I really wouldn't risk buying the Asian Dopod from a US seller if you are bothered about warranties or returns. Plus you will end up paying import tax on it and fairly substantial delivery.

Guest fluffcat1
I really wouldn't risk buying the Asian Dopod from a US seller if you are bothered about warranties or returns. Plus you will end up paying import tax on it and fairly substantial delivery.

They guy we're all talking about on ebay is in Torquay. Delivery is

Guest machiavell1
:) :)

Now I for one wouldn't part with that much cash to an ebay seller with 24 feedback total / 10 feedback from buyers.... I'd rather wait a couple of weeks and buy **2** from expansys etc for the same money...( 1 pink 1 black? :-) especially when no mention is made of any transferrable warranty - and we all know how bad Qtek are for warranty issues in the UK, especially with no proof of purchase....so the dopod seller is IMO better value as they both have no warranty and you can have 2 dopods for this 1 Qtek.

Richard

Whilst I can totally sympathise with your cost analysis and also your position on warranties, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't suggest that I am in some way untrustworthy due to my feedback. I have been around the mobile forums (W@Mob, HoFo and here) for several years, have bought and sold phones much like other users here, and have never made a dishonest sale or purchase.

Now I didn't post my auction here or advertise it - it was brought up by someone else - and I haven't sought to promote it in any way. I am also perfectly content with you suggesting that it is too expensive, or that there are things that other people should think about. I have nothing to conceal and am perfectly open to fair comment. I have even made comments myself about Expansys. However, your post, intentionally or otherwise, implies that it's my level of feedback rather than simply the price that should discourage people, which implies that I could be unreliable or untrustworthy which, frankly, I am not.

There isn't any basis for suggesting that, and there is nothing whatsoever about my feedback that is suspicious. Almost all my feedback relates to, surprise surprise, the sale and purchase of mobile phones, many before they are available publically, cos I am an early adopter with time and money on my hands. I don't turn a profit on my phones, but instead tend to sell them on in anticipation of a new purchase. Now I assume that the comment was wholly unintentional, and actually restricted to price and warranty issues, but in case it wasn't (and to set the position straight in any event), I thought I should post something.

due date has switched to "ordered on request" now!! what the hell does that mean, I've ordered one does that mean I can expect it any day now!! (doubt it ....)

have emailed expansys so will see what they say.

gR

Guest fluffcat1
due date has switched to "ordered on request" now!! what the hell does that mean, I've ordered one does that mean I can expect it any day now!! (doubt it ....)

have emailed expansys so will see what they say.

gR

Yeah saw that 'ordered on request' earlier ( on the pink version only mind ;-) but it's gone to sat 24th black / fri 30th pink, and the pink unit is