PaulOBrien

FREE CASH! Announcing: M:Panel from M:Metrics and MoDaCo

I'm amazed by the number of people, who for an initial reward of a paltry 15 pounds sterling and 16.4p per day thereafter are ready and willing to submit personally identifiable information about themselves and their mobile activity, via indeterminate software, to a hitherto unknown private venture-capital funded company located in Seattle.

Incidentally, I'm very curious to know why the same type of data from the mobiles of our transatlantic cousins is worth only

It's nice to see the usual healthy paranoia in your posts Sp00k :)

Unless you live in a cardboard box in the middle of nowhere and never fill out a single form etc in your life your personal details are already out there wether you like it or not.

TBH I'm with Sp00k on this one.

I have no doubt that all sorts of data on me, that I've never even thought about, is "out there" somewhere.

Currently that doesn't include the content of emails, passwords, contacts, websites visited etc and I'd prefer it stayed that way.

Does it say anywhere that they will not log keystrokes for example? Anyone ever put a password in via their PPC?

Hopefully this company is trustworthy, and I'm sure Paul checked them out very thoroughly in advance, but ... it's not for me. The data would be interesting, and I'd like an app that recorded it in a form and location that I could use.

Just think, if this app had only been available on Symbian when announced is there anyone here who wouldn't have said it was a new phishing scam for backward Symbian users?

It's nice to see the usual healthy paranoia in your posts Sp00k :D

Unless you live in a cardboard box in the middle of nowhere and never fill out a single form etc in your life your personal details are already out there wether you like it or not.

This I realise but the details that I enter on forms, etc., are deliberately erroneous in some way or other wherever it's possible to do so... I haven't used my full name for many years now, I'm not on the electoral register and my CC details, whilst being consistent between accounts, paid promptly and hence satisfactory to Experian and the like, are very far from correct! :)

As Chucky.Egg points out, running unknown software that makes periodic reports on your activities is not conducive to the preservation of what vestige of privacy still remains in this 'Big Brother' society of ours! And I'm not talking about Endemol's attempts at entertainment! :)

May I add Mr W... It's been said more than once that just because you're paranoid... it doesn't mean to say that someone isn't out to get you! ;)

Edited by Sp00k

Of course everyone is entitled to choose not to participate, however having met the team personally, found out as much about the application as possible, and knowing personally one of the team behind the application, I AM participating.

It's kinda interesting to see concern about keylogging on your device (which of course isn't going to happen), but i'm pretty sure the same people install all sorts of software on their PC every day :)

Finally, a MoDaCo member has already won - and received - a LCD TV :)

P

As Chucky.Egg points out, running unknown software that makes periodic reports on your activities is not conducive to the preservation of what vestige of privacy still remains in this 'Big Brother' society of ours! And I'm not talking about Endemol's attempts at entertainment! :)

Remember what kind of information it is capturing tho... it's not capturing (and TBH nobody cares) that you emailed [email protected] or you SMS'd xxxxx, the marketable data is broader 'sent x emails, used app y z times' etc.

We live in an information society, and care about which data you make available about yourself is healthy, but...

:)

All IMHO, IIRC, TTFN etc, lol

P

PS Expected a healthy debate along these lines ;)

I just tried signing up and got the message "We're sorry but you do not qualify for this particular Smart M:Panel survey. Thanks anyway." Even though the SPV M5000 is listed.

Edited by squilla

I just tried signing up and got the message "We're sorry but you do not qualify for this particular Smart M:Panel survey. Thanks anyway." Even though the SPV M5000 is listed.

Using which browser? There seem to be some issues with non IE / Firefox browsers atm...

P

Using which browser? There seem to be some issues with non IE / Firefox browsers atm...

P

Im using Firefox. I shall try internet explorer.

Of course everyone is entitled to choose not to participate, however having met the team personally, found out as much about the application as possible, and knowing personally one of the team behind the application, I AM participating....

Finally, a MoDaCo member has already won - and received - a LCD TV :)

P

I don't doubt your personal integrity, nor your faith in this company but I'm mindful of the time when Micro$oft was discovered to have been secretly accessing information as to the software installed on users pc's... And shamed into stopping this insidious practice by widespread publication of the fact...

As for "the marketable data is broader 'sent x emails, used app y z times' etc." Exactly! it's the details on the use of "app y" that bothers me! :)

Finally (for now) This Modaco member that was the lucky recipient of an LCD TV... When was it won?... What country were they in? How long did that particular sweepstake run for and was that the only prize offered to anyone? ... As would seem to be the case in the current competition?

Sp00k...

The welcome mail gets sent when your device first calls home and sends back data, so if it doesn't happen immediately, don't panic :)

P

Hi,

Signed up last night and installed the CAB this morning. It sent some data back to HQ and then I got an email confirming my membership. Couple of questions now though:

1) When do I get my 'reward' (

Welcome James :)

1) We're working to get cheques out as quick as possible, i'll confirm the turnaround times and post here.

2) You can log in to mobilepanel and see how much data has been used, as quoted in the first post, an 'average user' will use around 35K / month.

P

For anyone who wants to know, I use Firefox, but I managed to install in IE as mentioned.

Thanks for the advice.

Welcome James :)

1) We're working to get cheques out as quick as possible, i'll confirm the turnaround times and post here.

2) You can log in to mobilepanel and see how much data has been used, as quoted in the first post, an 'average user' will use around 35K / month.

P

Hi,

thanks for the speedy reply and friendly welcome: Modaco still doing what it does best!

I have used 0.9 Kilobytes already and this appears as follows on my account page:

post-60376-1148893510_thumb.jpg

Is this all I will use this month or does M:Panel send data more than once a month? Is it always on a specific date?

Thanks again for the excellent opportunity,

james

I think you will use more this month as that will just be your install activity, but again, i'll get clarification from M:Metrics on how often the upload happens...

P

In the t&c's it says that for anyone not reporting usage for a period longer than 24hs will have any personally identifiable information disassociated from their data submitted. Does this mean if I leave the country for a couple of weeks and am unable to report back usage patterns that I'd be out of the program, or does the account just get put on hold for a while?

Bump :)

Edited by Shuflie

I've had this installed and running since it was announced but when I login and check my activity log its empty

I device has been on around 50Kb extra usage a day and I notice the GPRS icon several times during the day so its definitely sending something.

How come my activity is empty?

I've had this installed and running since it was announced but when I login and check my activity log its empty

I device has been on around 50Kb extra usage a day and I notice the GPRS icon several times during the day so its definitely sending something.

How come my activity is empty?

PM me your email / mobile number, and i'll pass it to M:Metrics to investigate.

P

Incidentally, I'm very curious to know why the same type of data from the mobiles of our transatlantic cousins is worth only
Edited by guapoharry

Data smata... our private details are everywhere!

When I clicked the SMS link, IE said "the resource can not be displayed. the page you are looking for can not be open by your browser because it has a file name extension that your browser does not accept"

I guess its something to do with my settings... I'd change them but I still havent worked out my smart phone (after having one for like millions of year).