Broken Touchscreen!

Guest Pundit

Guest Pundit

After little more than a month after purchasing it on eBay, the love of my life has broken!

The touchscreen has stopped working for no apparent reason - I suspect the ribbon cable connecting the screen to the main circuit board has come loose or snapped. Everything else is fine.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem and were they able to fix it? Please help, I don't know if I could bear going back to using an old fashioned mobile again!

Guest fluffcat1

Unlikely to fail without some sort of intervention i.e it's been dropped / got wet etc etc...

Easily fixable. There are three types of LCD and two varients of digitiser so more info needed. Do a google search - you're not the first peron to suffer this issue.

First thing you need to do is a hard reset - but get all your info off first and bear in mind if the digitiser is faulty you will not be able to calibrate the scren and boot the phone afterwards.

Richard

Guest fraser

The ribbon cable is a likely candidate. I've seen a lot of failures due to them in laptops and these mobiles use the same connectors. We always called it "reseating the connector" when simply taking it out and putting it back in fixed it.

There are ways to get past the calibration screen after a hard-reset; this topic has come up before. A search should reveal all.

Guest Pundit

I hope I'll be able to fix it easily by reinserting the ribbon connector. I don't suppose replacement ones are avaliable on eBay or somewhere?

Screen details will follow when I've been able to take the screen off - I'll need to order a smaller T6 screwdriver than the standard Nokia size one - does anyone know what the screw size is?

Guest fluffcat1
The ribbon cable is a likely candidate. I've seen a lot of failures due to them in laptops and these mobiles use the same connectors. We always called it "reseating the connector" when simply taking it out and putting it back in fixed it.

There are ways to get past the calibration screen after a hard-reset; this topic has come up before. A search should reveal all.

The ribbon connector for the digitiser in the blueangel is soldered directly to the LCD screen ribbon. If it's a 'loose connection' you'd loose the display picture as well - as they connect via the same socket to the mainboard, so while it may be that I strongly doubt it. And I've had *lots* of blueangels in bits :)

Replacement digitisers are available from salvaged screens. Make sure you get the right one.You can bodge it one way but not the other...

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=236783&hl=

Richard

post-145647-1149020621_thumb.jpg

Guest Reg_Edit
I've always used a Torx T5 - and that's what PPC techs also supply along with the t6 in their 'blue angel toolkit'.

Richard

How very strange! I bought a set of 3 (T5,T6,T7 - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie..._BIN_Stores_IT) thinking it would do the job, and it didn't! I had to buy a T4 and wait for that to arrive, and the T4 does fit the smaller ones. We are talking about (for instance) the two screws that are visible on the back, at the top of the Xda IIs, once the keyboard is slid open?

Perhaps the T5 tool in my set of 3 was just no good....?!!!

Edited by Reg_Edit

Guest Pundit

Please can somebody confirm that it's the T5 screwdriver I need for those smaler screws on the back of the screen rather than T4. This is important as the T5 ones are widely available but the T4 ones only seem to be available from Singapore! (On eBay at least).

Guest Reg_Edit
Please can somebody confirm that it's the T5 screwdriver I need for those smaler screws on the back of the screen rather than T4. This is important as the T5 ones are widely available but the T4 ones only seem to be available from Singapore! (On eBay at least).

From what's been said I think it must be T5, but tool quality varies. I went back and tried my T5 and it "sort of" fits - it doesn't sink in at all, which is what made me think it was too big, but if you maintain pressure it does grip enough to turn the screws. Kind of defeats the object of Torx. I suspect I got what I paid for... :)

Anyway, if you do decide to order a T4 too just in case, I don't know what country you're in but there are plenty on ebay.co.uk (UK sellers among them).

Edited by Reg_Edit

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fraser
The ribbon connector for the digitiser in the blueangel is soldered directly to the LCD screen ribbon. If it's a 'loose connection' you'd loose the display picture as well - as they connect via the same socket to the mainboard, so while it may be that I strongly doubt it. And I've had *lots* of blueangels in bits :)

Ah, the perils of miniturisation I guess. Space isn't quite as tight in the laptop world thankfully, it's a lot easier to swap components.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pundit

Alas, I took my phone apart and re-sat the screen connectors to see if that would remedy the situation and it did not, so my phone's on eBay for a good home with someone who's better at repairing it thatn I am.

• 2 months later...
Guest Conspiracy

Hello,

Sorry for bring this old topic back butt i'm trying to replace my touchescreen and need some help with some questions i have.

Sorry for my bad english to :(

So, i opened my Xda IIs and have the touchscreen an lcd separated from the rest, as the picture below shows.

This is how it looks before a separate the lcd from the touchscreen:

lcd2.JPG

This is the crack on the touchscreen:

lcd4.JPG

This is the serial of the lcd (i think its a sony):

lcd3.JPG

I have separated them but not disconnected the ribon(?):

lcd8.jpg

first i need to do something to this connector. do i separate it? how are they connected? soldared? what must i do?):

lcd5.JPG

Thank you for the help, and if you nees this or other photos tell me. I have it all disassembled :rolleyes:

EDIT:

@ fluffcat1

Do you have any spare digitizer? I try to PM you but wasn't possible...

Edited by Conspiracy

Guest Conspiracy

Thanks for the reply:)

I would prefere one with the frame, because when removed my tha litle sticky thing between the lcd an digitizer stayed litle bad. I might(?) can fix it with some special glue tape, but i'm not sure! so with frame would be better! :(

when do you think you get more off yours?one week? more? I have seen che_sir on ebay, but i was waiting for your reply :). he sends from hong kong. i'm in portugal so it will pass "border" and most probably i will pay more taxes :rolleyes: but i know someone how works with this kind of things and he can help me fore sure. i just have a normal 30W iron with small point...

if you will not have them for many time i will talk to che_sir, otherwise i will wait some days ;) if your price is arround Che_sir's price :P

EDIT: I'll buy from Che_sir... I'll need it working sooner then expected :D thanks anyway ;)

Edited by Conspiracy