HTC Breeze Upclose & Personal

Guest sporkguy

Guest sporkguy

htcbreeze2xc.jpg

You may not be able to read it without the aid of some wonky Babelfish translation, but it's still well worth checking out Mobinaute's review of the HTC Breeze smartphone.

They have a lot of detailed of pics, sample shots from the phone's camera, and a six minute long video demonstration of the handset (in French, of course).

As previously reported, the handset itself has a 300Mhz Samsung 2442 processor, 240x320 TFT screen, 64MB RAM, 128MB ROM, Bluetooth 2.0, a MicroSD slot, 3G capabilities, and dual cameras (1.3 Megapixel on the rear for still pictures and a 352 x 388 CIF camera on the front for video calls).

On the whole, Mobinaute seems fairly impressed with the handset, the biggest downside being the lack of integrated WiFi.

[Mobinaute]

Guest Looby

Looks OK. No Wi-Fi!! I cannot see anyone wanting to change their SP5's for one. Is there pressure being applied by the Operators? <_

Guest jm012a9749

:) NO WIFI?!?!?!??!??!

I guess orange will release it without hesitation then <_< ....... gits.

Seriously though, why release a handset without WiFi after releasing one with WiFi? Even if it has 3G it still makes no sense. I certainly wont change my Qtek 8310 for one........

Phil

Edited by jm012a9749

NO WIFI!!! ffs, its perfect (feature wise) if they had included it, but no.

And there is something about the design I don't like either, the SP5 IMO is the best looking smartphone ever and beats alot of stupidphones in looks too. Really don't like the black plastice section on top, looks like they just stuck it on at the end!!

Guest sporkguy
NO WIFI!!! ffs, its perfect (feature wise) if they had included it, but no.

And there is something about the design I don't like either, the SP5 IMO is the best looking smartphone ever and beats alot of stupidphones in looks too. Really don't like the black plastice section on top, looks like they just stuck it on at the end!!

:)

The top part looks weird.. like an overlapping leather case or something :)

Guest Nubbing
...biggest downside being lack of wifi

and sh*t camera.

This christmas doesn't look like its seeing many technological advances. :)

Edited by Nubbing

Guest leethacker
and sh*t camera.

This christmas doesn't look like its seeing many technological advances. :)

At least not by HTC. I am really NOT impressed. Damn, I wish the Nokia N73 with its 3 Megapixel Autofocus Cam had Windows Mobile instead of Symbian ... :)

Guest morpheus2702

The front is nasty, but the rear is worse...

Seriously, when are HTC going to start investing in design rather than stumbling upon it occasionally?PICT5226.sized.jpg

Guest w411y

Same post as what I had to say about it over @ coolsmartphone....

What!.. No WiFi? .. and why no 2mp camera

I'm sorry but I'm very confused. Also, those buttons and those edges give it an old school look. It looks as though it was made in the 90s, not a newly made device

I am dissapointed as there are loads of rumours of Orange picking this as the C700 and I was really hoping Orange would release a candy bar smartphone with a 2mp camera and WiFi

That jogwheel.... huh!? Is it me or are most people right handed? No right handed person is going to use it when its located there. Its a good idea but would be 10x better if it was below the camera button or something.

Edited by w411y

Guest kevinsephiroth
Same post as what I had to say about it over @ coolsmartphone....

What!.. No WiFi? .. and why no 2mp camera

I'm sorry but I'm very confused. Also, those buttons and those edges give it an old school look. It looks as though it was made in the 90s, not a newly made device

I am dissapointed as there are loads of rumours of Orange picking this as the C700 and I was really hoping Orange would release a candy bar smartphone with a 2mp camera and WiFi

That jogwheel.... huh!? Is it me or are most people right handed? No right handed person is going to use it when its located there. Its a good idea but would be 10x better if it was below the camera button or something.

well i could have say "yeah!!! i am french native so i could read the whole review of mobinaute.fr without going through this fuc**** babelfish online translator (which i don't even use to translate english webpages, as i understand most of them- by the way, why english spkers don't try to learn french??? why is it always we, frenchs , who have to learn english? well for once it's us who are the first on a preview!!!!!!)

WELL

this damn phone is NOT WIFI inside, NO 2MP cam, and AWFUL aesthetically.

s***.

Don't have to read the review anymore, as i won't change my SPV C600.

Guest pierre

Why would operators want WIFI. In my opinion, it is purposely proposed without WIFI. Why? Because Skype and other voip' providers are becoming more and more common, and that the main sources of revenue is the international roaming (for still some time), and data. With WIFI, both are endangered!

It looks a bit like an old HP scientific' calculator :)

I really would like a WIFI smartphone. None was released here in Switzerland. Anyone knows where I can get a good bargain?

Guest spidermunky
At least not by HTC. I am really NOT impressed. Damn, I wish the Nokia N73 with its 3 Megapixel Autofocus Cam had Windows Mobile instead of Symbian ... :)

I've given up on Windows Mobile for now. S60 just works better. I've had a couple of devices (qtek s100 and orange spv) but I've alway found it rather cumbersome to use as a phone. I've bought a Nokia N80 and to be honest I'm very happy with it (I'd been missing my old Nokia 6600). Until Microsoft manage to nail down the phone side of things I don't think I'll be likely to come back to the WM camp. The level of integration is pretty good with the S60 handsets and I don't see that changing for a while.

This new HTC handset just seems completely unimaginative in terms of the design. HTC have made some superb looking devices in the past but this seems like a huge step backwards for them. I don't know how they expect to compete with Nokia and SE for users that want a smartphone that they can take out in public and not be ashamed of.

Anyway, rant over.

Greg

Guest morpheus2702
Why would operators want WIFI. In my opinion, it is purposely proposed without WIFI. Why? Because Skype and other voip' providers are becoming more and more common, and that the main sources of revenue is the international roaming (for still some time), and data. With WIFI, both are endangered!

Operators should have learnt that by now, to avoid new technologies, rather than to embrace them, is at best short-sighted and at worst disastrous. How many camera makers went to the wall fighting the digital onslaught? How many music companies nay-sayed MP3s before they devised a profitable future in digital music?

WiFi is no different. Consumers want it, end of. Operators need to get over it and start working on strategies where we will want to pay for it (in some shape or form). Isn't the Holy Grail of Telcos to have the 4 services - broadband, mobile, landline and cable TV in their portfolio? Wanadoo becomes Orange so French Telecom are making their cash from your broadband connection rather than GSM. Sure, not as much money, but money nonetheless.

Guest Pagemakers

I like the bottom half. Top's a but ugly.

3G fantastic but no wifi is poor.

And we should be looking at 3mpx cameras at least now.

I guess we will have to wait for the Breeze 2 for that. Probabily released just after we have forked out for this one!

I'd upgrade my SP5 for this.

Edited by Pagemakers

Guest sporkguy
And we should be looking at 3mpx cameras at least now.

Not until HTC have got their Optics and CCD quality up scratch.

Increasing the Megapixels does nothing for the picture quality on these things.

Guest pierre
Operators should have learnt that by now, to avoid new technologies, rather than to embrace them, is at best short-sighted and at worst disastrous. How many camera makers went to the wall fighting the digital onslaught? How many music companies nay-sayed MP3s before they devised a profitable future in digital music?

I assure you they are embracing the new technologies, but not as fast as the small start-ups that are now growing like mushrooms, i.e. Skype. Big fishes do not have enough flexibility to quickly adjust, so for now they play games. I just wonder if HTC are "sponsored" by operators for not launching the same unit WITH Wifi. If not, they might release one with wifi as well, like they had done with the Tornado.

Guest simonbratt99

im quite pleased the c700 is looking like a flop, i took out an 18 month contract on my c600 :-) and i still have a year left.

The c600 is a great phone. i had previous spv's (inc c500) and the c600 is best imho

Guest pierre
im quite pleased the c700 is looking like a flop, i took out an 18 month contract on my c600 :-) and i still have a year left.

The c600 is a great phone. i had previous spv's (inc c500) and the c600 is best imho

Hi,

Orange sells the C600, and I hesitate to buy it, coz no WIFI. Does it exist with WIFI though? Really want that! If nothing available, I'll have to go for the Hermes (SPV M3100)

Hi,

Orange sells the C600, and I hesitate to buy it, coz no WIFI. Does it exist with WIFI though? Really want that! If nothing available, I'll have to go for the Hermes (SPV M3100)

Cant get the C600 with wifi I'm afraid :)

The tornado is your best option for wifi in a smartphone but you won't get it on orange. Think both O2 and voda sell it.

atb

gR

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Pondrew

So is no one intrigued by the fact that this handset, presumably the HTC Breeze, complete with video calling does exist and yet HTC are marketing a cut down version without?

And I'm still not writing this baby off, the Samsung 300MHz processor might be worth a look surely?

So at the risk of setting folk up for a disappointment, what chance Orange spring a coup releasing the video calling enabled version shown here as the SPV C700 while HTC market the cut down version? :)

Guest pierre

It is clear by Orange that there won't be video calling on the C700, and the worse : no wifi. (Unless they again change their mind)

Edited by pierre

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.