C550 wifi?

Guest Burns

Guest Burns

Hi,

I know this has been asked before but as the threads where several months old i thought i would ask again.

Is it possible to get a mini sd wifi card for the c550? or is it possible to connect to the web via a BT dongle? if so what is the range like?

many thanks

Guest w411y

Havn't heard anything about anyone getting a WiFi miniSD in their C550. If you get a BT dongle I believe most go up to 10m however I think you can get those that go up to 100m

Guest nevawlkalone
Havn't heard anything about anyone getting a WiFi miniSD in their C550. If you get a BT dongle I believe most go up to 10m however I think you can get those that go up to 100m

Indeed there are some that go upto 100m but they are very expensive....i looked at one for keyboard of ine and it wa nearly 50quid n am like nah...

You can in theory get one in if you hack the back of the device up. THere was a thread on it a while back, i could be worng as im not to sure wether or not it worked!

Edited by nevawlkalone

Guest Burns

10m would be more then adequate, i just want to be able to sit in bed and surf the net.

I just want to double check that you can connect to the web using a BT dongle?

Guest w411y

Yea. Connect to Active Sync over BT and use a passthrough connection. Theres a guide on this site as to how to set up Active Sync over BT :)

Guest Burns
Yea. Connect to Active Sync over BT and use a passthrough connection. Theres a guide on this site as to how to set up Active Sync over BT :)

thanks for your help

Guest nevawlkalone
just one more question.

can i use a standard bluetooth dongle or does it need to be a particuler one?

Can be any dongle you want mate

Guest nevawlkalone
I personally use a Belkin but any should do.

Snap...they usually the best on wireless supplies...donlge keyboard and mouse all by them an they are ace (or logitech)

Edited by nevawlkalone

Guest Burns

sorry, just one more question, i promise :)

what sort of speeds can i expect to get when browsing the web, i hope to be able to stream internet radio via the BT if possible?

many thanks

Edited by Burns

Guest w411y

Definately faster than GPRS. If your on broadband that is, I think it goes the same speed as your internet connection on your PC. It will stream Internet Radio fine :)

Guest nevawlkalone
Definately faster than GPRS. If your on broadband that is, I think it goes the same speed as your internet connection on your PC. It will stream Internet Radio fine :)

So long as there arnt any major obsticles...i.e a wall or anything that works on the same frequency level as BT.

For example like a microwave as that affects my mates WiFi occasionally for some bizzare reason! That and his plasma TV but getting off the subject

Should stream fine just use comon sense and the above and you'll be fine....

Edited by nevawlkalone

Guest Burns
So long as there arnt any major obsticles...i.e a wall or anything that works on the same frequency level as BT.

For example like a microwave as that affects my mates WiFi occasionally for some bizzare reason! That and his plasma TV but getting off the subject

Should stream fine just use comon sense and the above and you'll be fine....

hmm, the signal will need to go through a couple of very thin walls but the actual distance would only be about 5 metres, could this be a problem?

Guest nevawlkalone
hmm, the signal will need to go through a couple of very thin walls but the actual distance would only be about 5 metres, could this be a problem?

Are they just like plasterboard (knock on them and they are hollow)

Edited by nevawlkalone

Guest nevawlkalone
yep, i know for a fact that they are plasterboard

*should* be fine then...never had to try it through walls, not bluetooth any ways and got repeaters for WiFi so.... give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

Guest Burns
*should* be fine then...never had to try it through walls, not bluetooth any ways and got repeaters for WiFi so.... give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

yep will do, thanks

Guest mini_man

Um not too true what you guys have just said to be honest.

Firstly bluetooth speeds thereoretically only work at a maximum of 975kbps so if you had a 10mbps broadband you aint gonna get speeds that good!

Secondly bluetooth will only work at 10m no matter how good your dongle is. My dongle is 100m and I cant go out of the house without losing a connection.

But in relation to the actualy question of wifi, unfortunately its not possible! The wifi cards are SDIO and the C550 I dont think is!

Sam

Guest nevawlkalone
it isnt

True, we didnt actually confirm you could i said *i think* it was done but with modification to the phone as i saw a thread on it but i may be wrong.

Secondly bluetooth will only work at 10m no matter how good your dongle is. My dongle is 100m and I cant go out of the house without losing a connection.

Odd, my keyboard easily manages over 10 meters without any issues nd it a 100m range!