HTC Hermes / TTyN / Vario II - T-Mobile

Guest MARKUKCOUK

Guest Cummo

I've been tracking this phone for a while...want it really bad. T-mobile tarifs look great but their 'Hot-spots' thing, will I be able to use wi-fi from my home wireless router? and will I incur an additional charge from T-mobile for this?

Please advise.

Edited by Cummo

Guest FragMeister
I've been tracking this phone for a while...want it really bad. T-mobile tarifs look great but their 'Hot-spots' thing, will I be able to use wi-fi from my home wireless router? and will I incur an additional charge from T-mobile for this?

Please advise.

Hotspots are public wifi locations, such as coffee shops. T-mobile "run" some me these, and with the Pro version of web'n'walk you do get some hotspot access included.

you can use your home wifi connection without charge, and this may be quicker than 3g anyway, or if you don't you have 3g coverage at home (like poor me!)

Guest Confucious

You only get hotspot access if you buy the data card (Or so I believe) home wiFi can't be charged by T as it's nothing to do wioth them.

I have 3G access at home and with W'n'W have found no need to use my home WiFi with my phone as 3G is just so much easier (and doesn't drain the battery as quickly!)

Guest jimbouk
You only get hotspot access if you buy the data card (Or so I believe)

Any wifi enabled device (phone, laptop, etc) can use hot-spots, but with most you need to pay.

Guest bronksy

whats you folks take on whether the screen is gonna be cool.. i'm used to a decent screen on the M5000 (albeit crap useability as a handset) but the res on the HerPes isn't the same.. any comments about this?

Guest Confucious

when you buy the data card you get free access to the hotspots, otherwise toy have to pay.

The screen on the M3100 is a lot smaller than th M5000 and I found it a lot harder to read (But then I am an old man...)

Guest Confucious
T-mobiles WnW sounds very restrictive...no skype, no video download, no streaming, no file sharing, etc....are you sure this is a good deal. What else is the internet for?

I've never used any of those.

If that's what you think the internet is for then W'n'W is not for you.

For the rest of us though, it's great :

Guest Cummo
I've never used any of those.

If that's what you think the internet is for then W'n'W is not for you.

For the rest of us though, it's great :

Maybe I just don't know how to party?

Guest bronksy

I suppose W&W is exactly what it is.. Web & Walk, so it does what it says on the tin.. although I'm sure Tmob wouldn't mind if you ran. Or crawled.

Guest Confucious

And I'm sure 4Gb ones will be available later.

Unfortunatly I have over 3Gb on my full size SD card at the moment. This is the problem with new formats, it takes timme for larger sizes to be released (and then come down in price)

Guest bronksy

I said somewhere.. can't rememeber what thread.. that this is what stops the device being a true multimedia device. For any user 1gig is barely enough for a couple of progs and their email attachments. There's no way that you can throw a load of tunes onto it.

I can't be bothered selecting my music then re-compressing it to some crap quality to get a couple of albums onto the card.

These units are squarely aimed at business users, and they will never have mass consumer appeal unless they do 'more' things that consumers want. I'd say they'd rather have more storage than wifi..

Guest Ingvarr
And I'm sure 4Gb ones will be available later.

No question they will be. Technology goes on.

Question is when.

But currently obtainable is 1Gb max.

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest bronksy

Chances are by the time microSD hits 4gig plus, there's going to be another format that we all have to buy for our new handset that will sit at 1gig...prob nanoSD.

Guest Syphon Filter

The devices need more built in storage, be it flash based or a HDD of somekind. A TyTN type device with say a 10gig disk in it would be the business.

Guest bronksy

and the battery would last about 3 mins.

Does anyone know if the time to get a signal is improved since the M5000. It still takes an age to get a network when you're in and out of trains... my crap Kokia finds the network within seconds.

Guest Syphon Filter
and the battery would last about 3 mins.

Thats only a trade off for the time being, assuming you have a HDD in there. Also using power management and other such trickery you could eek it out longer.

Where there's a will there's a way. HTC could do it now I reckon, they could make a device with all the functions of the TyTN and stick in some decent storage and still maintain battery life. Possibly even into a smaller form factor, BUT it would be an expensive device and they probably wouldnt sell many due to the cost. It's definitely possible though...just not financially practical. In time all this will happen though and at prices we can all afford.