PaulOBrien

What would you put in a Windows Mobile user's welcome pack?

A fun question for you (maybe). It's not Friday, so it's not a 'Talking Point' (although I forgot to do one last week, lol!)

If you were preparing a downloadable 'welcome pack' for new Windows Mobile users, what would you put in it?

I'm pondering the idea of offering a 'welcome pack' when people sign up for MoDaCo, to get them started with their device. I'm thinking items such as:

- A guide to devices and their codenames (eBook)

- A guide to first time configuring your windows mobile (eBook)

- A guide to using MoDaCo

- CABviaActiveSync + instructions

- Resco Explorer demo

- SKTools demo link

- etc.

- etc.

Let's hear your great ideas :)

P

specifically for PPC devices I know, but the excellent PPCProfiles fills a glaring omission in the OS.

I would bundle in:

WMP Remote

DAR~ling

and my phone number for technical support issues (only to be issued to non males ;))

:)

Edited by Tech

specifically for PPC devices I know, but the excellent PPCProfiles fills a glaring omission in the OS.

Ah yeah, good call!

The biggest problem I had moving to WM5 from 2003 was getting Active Sync to play nicely with the firewall. Took a lot of digging and trial and error to get it working, so putting all this info together in the pack might work well?

The biggest problem I had moving to WM5 from 2003 was getting Active Sync to play nicely with the firewall. Took a lot of digging and trial and error to get it working, so putting all this info together in the pack might work well?

Selection of help forums and websites releating to windows mobile!

I'd avoid giving them too much info - details of all the handsets aren't necessary, so maybe just their device-specific info

For smartphone I'd include the relevant bits of the "First 24 hours with a smartphone" topic

For PPC I'd include an SK Schema trial and some sample scripts - it shows what you can do with the platform, and can do some nice stuff that would otherwise be a number of different apps (SMS responder, auto-Flight mode, Scheduled SMS, etc)

Great idea.

What about listing a few benefits of becoming a Plus member and take a few Plus member's comments about how good the software are, etc

>>- A guide to devices and their codenames (eBook)

That's a big MUST since I have seen a few people getting confused with that the device's codename are so they cna find the correct software they need. However thta would mean the PDF file needs to be updated often to keep up with the latest releases.

Selection of help forums and websites releating to windows mobile!

That's a good idea - a set of Favourites that you can install to your device

Maybe the Orange OTA App Unlock site too (if that's still applicable)

Microsoft used to have a download with basically is an interactive FAQ, I can't find it on their website, but this was a good resource which took you through how to do basic things on your Pocket PC Phone.

Also I could not live without TCMP!

Smart Explorer because enough people have asked how to send files over BT.

Rather than an eBook of device names etc you could just link to Ash's smartphonehistory site?

I think if your gunna give them loads of information make it mainly device specific for their device. But saying that, thats a lot of work to be done

I know someone's already mentioned it, but TCPMP and PocketDivxEncoder would have to be a must for me. Just a shame we can't offer DVD Decrypter too since it's been deemed illegal! :)

If you're going to go down the eBook route, then instructions on how to setup MS Reader or a decent eBook reader on WM5 ?

Edited by tasman

That's a good idea - a set of Favourites that you can install to your device

Maybe the Orange OTA App Unlock site too (if that's still applicable)

Also a set of handy mobile-friendly Favorites, but not necessarily Windows Mobile related. Sports, news, weather, stocks, etc.

I like Nedge's overview or similar, of what you can do with the phone. Ideas on usage. Add pics and software examples.

The guy above me stole my comment on Mobile Friendly links.

Explanations on app unlocking, sim unlocking, installing new ROMs and applying tweaks would be good to let users know what they're in for.

Mandetory software installation recommendations (links) like RegEdit software, Papyrus/Dev One apps, Homescreen plugins.

A couple of Modaco based homescreens would be nice in CAB format.

W411y's homescreen creation guide would be nice as well.

WARNING....

Don't get too device specific or you'll be making 100 different kits.

I think having a "general" guide for all windows mobile based devices is a good idea, but having device specific guides...which include regtweaks and such would also be REALLY nice.

As a WM user who migrated from PalmOS, one of the things that I would have found useful is a list of suggested software by category. Sort of like 'Lists- Listpro, Password Manager- eWallet'. Its sometimes hard to figure out the names of software coming from a different os

Surely the way forward with this (to avoid it becoming out of date daily) would be a generic intro to either a PPC or a Smartphone, some examples of what you can and can't do, and then links to the main help areas and relevant device specific areas within modaco. Then put some sticky (and maybe locked) topics at the top of each device area that cover all of the usual new owner issues (such as activesync, network settings, media player, etc etc). That way these new users will discover what a useful place Modaco is - and they will thus then continue to make use of the site as they become more experienced with their devices...