Replacing joystick

Guest Hairsy

Guest Hairsy

I've had my imate SP5 for a couple of months but have voided my warranty after having to take it apart to clean some beer out of it (a long story!).

I'm having increasingly frustrating problems with the joystick not responding. I understand that this is not an uncommon problem but have to accept that I won't be able to claim under warranty.

However, is there somewhere I can buy the joystick unit so I can replace it myself? Alternatively, is there somewhere which would repair it for me?

I do find the joystick incredibly frustrating even when it's working. If it wasn't for the lack of wifi, I'd be going for a StrTrk with it's button control instead of joystick control.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

I have problems with mine too.. i pull it up using my nails and turn it round clockwise a few times. Then it starts working perfectly again. I suspect i'm just drilling any dirt that's stuck in there further in, but hey what can u do!

Guest Snooginsguy
I have problems with mine too.. i pull it up using my nails and turn it round clockwise a few times. Then it starts working perfectly again. I suspect i'm just drilling any dirt that's stuck in there further in, but hey what can u do!

I had a lot of problems with my 2125 joystick, so I tore the phone apart and put a tiny drop of graphite lubricant into the joystick casing. I moved it around a bunch to work the graphite in, then put it back together. The stick works really well now, for the most part. I have noticed that it seems to be more responsive after having installed the .NET 2.0 framework to the phone (though this may be a complete coincidence.) I used the latest install, so I could save the .NET to my storage card. Finally, before I lubricated it, if the joystick started malfunctioning I would either twist the joystick side to side as kam_ has suggested, or I would hit the start button, and on the program display I would just rock the joystick around in a circle repeatedly until it starts making the programs highlight in a square pattern (thereby knowing the joystick is working in all directions) and that would at least temporarily fix the problem. THe graphite lube seems to have been the best trick yet, though, and suince you've already taken the phone apart once it won't hurt to do it again!

Guest Hairsy

Thank you all for your advice.

This morning I took the phone apart again. I removed the keyboard from the case and then removed the nipple from the joystick. I then put a couple of drops of WD40 on top of the joystick which was able to slide down inside the unit.

It is now a different phone - it responds to my every instruction and I no longer feel the desire to throw it at a wall.

Thanks again.

Dave