HTC MTeoR - I've got mine!

Guest Pagemakers

Guest wbloore

I've just noticed an icon in the Accessories folder called "HTC Unlock". When I click it, it says "Press 'Unlock' to begin!". I click Unlock, and it opens Regedit and goes to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\00001001 and tries to change the value to 1 automatically, but then Regedit comes up with an error "Unable to perform this operation". It then tries it with 00001005, with the same error.

HTC Unlock then re-appears and says "Done:)". But it hasn't succeeded in changing the registry values or unlocking the device.

Guest Pagemakers

If you run the attached app on your phone it will tell you if your phone is locked or not.

I guess regedit is not built-in to the phone. What happens if you run HTC unlock without regedit being installed?

CheckLock.zip

Edited by Pagemakers

Guest Thetechnogeek
If you run the attached app on your phone it will tell you if your phone is locked or not.

I guess regedit is not built-in to the phone. What happens if you run HTC unlock without regedit being installed?

I got my mteor today as well, and am having the same problem- there is no registry editor which I have been able to find which will actually change the values. I suspect the problem lies elsewhere. I also do not have the "HTC unlock" icon in accessories, so am stuck.

Otherwise it's a nice phone- a couple of bugs which need ironing out.

So, we need some help on unlocking this beastie. Any other ideas?

Guest peekie

maybe try emailing htc for the app unlock maybe they have something simular to the orange devs unlock all the other methods do not work yet with the latest roms

Guest wbloore
maybe try emailing htc for the app unlock maybe they have something simular to the orange devs unlock all the other methods do not work yet with the latest roms

I emailed HTC Europe at 8pm this evening, so hopefully I should get a reply Friday.

Guest Thetechnogeek
I emailed HTC Europe at 8pm this evening, so hopefully I should get a reply Friday.

I've tried calling them but they never answer

Guest Thetechnogeek
I've tried calling them but they never answer

Hmm, no way of editing posts. OK, I have spoken to HTC- they are saying that microsoft has locked down this build (sounds fishy to me!) and currently there is no way to app unlock. They said they're working on a new ROM, but I pointed out that for new purchasers, not much consolation- nice shiny new phone which we can't install our favourite apps on. They have no idea when new ROM will be released.

So, hopefully some clever person here will find a workaround?

Guest Pagemakers
I've just noticed an icon in the Accessories folder called "HTC Unlock". When I click it, it says "Press 'Unlock' to begin!". I click Unlock, and it opens Regedit and goes to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\00001001 and tries to change the value to 1 automatically, but then Regedit comes up with an error "Unable to perform this operation". It then tries it with 00001005, with the same error.

HTC Unlock then re-appears and says "Done:)". But it hasn't succeeded in changing the registry values or unlocking the device.

Odd - That app is not on my phone!

Guest Pagemakers
welcome home Pagemakers :)

Cheers I'm shattered but like a kid in a candy shop.

I'll write a full SP5/MTeoR comparison over the weekend.

My initial impressions are:

1) It's very good looking - Makes the SP5 look hugh and old!

2) Keypad is not as good as it looks

3) It is fast! - Faster than the SP5

4) Got a "1" at the top of the screen (Maybe it means line 1) - Just looking how to get rid of it.

5) MicroSD cards are.....tiny. Anout 10 times smaller then an SD card!

Cheers I'm shattered but like a kid in a candy shop.

I'll write a full SP5/MTeoR comparison over the weekend.

My initial impressions are:

1) It's very good looking - Makes the SP5 look hugh and old!

2) Keypad is not as good as it looks

3) It is fast! - Faster than the SP5

4) Got a "1" at the top of the screen (Maybe it means line 1) - Just looking how to get rid of it.

5) MicroSD cards are.....tiny. Anout 10 times smaller then an SD card!

Nice on, thanks!

I'm hoping there are some negatives to put me off wanting this :)

I couldn'tt beleive how small the micro SD card was either!! and now they have a 2GB one too you'd wonder how the hell they do it ;)

enjoy the new toy!!

gR

Guest Thetechnogeek
There is no operator ROM included either! I hope the imate CAB file will work.

Nope, it doesn't. At least not until someone figures a way of app unlocking!

Another bug- once GPRS is set up, powering off then back on kills the connection for me (phone says "your internet settings are not properly configured etc..."). I have to delete the settings and then put them back in again for some reason, and then it works again.

HTC are looking into this for me- I'm just waiting on an answer

Guest wbloore
Hmm, no way of editing posts. OK, I have spoken to HTC- they are saying that microsoft has locked down this build (sounds fishy to me!) and currently there is no way to app unlock. They said they're working on a new ROM, but I pointed out that for new purchasers, not much consolation- nice shiny new phone which we can't install our favourite apps on. They have no idea when new ROM will be released.

So, hopefully some clever person here will find a workaround?

I've received the same reply today from HTC:

You are unable to application unlock your handset. The version of ROM your handset uses has been locked down entirely by Microsoft. We have been attempting to remedy the situation through the various registry edits, however none of these have worked.

There will be no solution until we are able to acquire an unlocked ROM from Microsoft which will then be released as a ROM update.

Looks like my phone is going to be sold on Ebay if it can't be unlocked soon.

Guest Dr Who

With no dedicated section I thought I would keep things tidy and post this here.

Anyone know when Orange are planning to bring out the Breeze and what they are going to call it? SPV C700? I am planning a call to retentions when the 3100 and Vario II are released and if they can convince me to stay I would like to upgrade my second handset to the Breeze when available.

Guest kerryburn
Done :)

guys

to add to the early adopters problem list!

I have replaced my SP5 with the Mteor and i have discovered, as well as the problems unlocking it (i work for BT and want to installed Windows Live COmmunicator and cannot install the damn certificate because of the locked down ROM!) i cannot charge it in the car!

what i mean by this is that the in car chargers that work perfectly with my K-JAM, SP5 and SPV 600 do not charge the Mteor. it does charge on USB from my laptops however!

can anyone confirm this, obviously a voltage problem but i would like to confirm it and in the meantime i had better find a charger for the car!

Kerry

Hello,

I have the same problem with to install the certificate. I hope for a solution in near time.

For charge in car I use the charger form my HTC Universal Brodit Holder:

971649 Active Holder, Tilt Swivel

For fixed installation, with Molex adapter system. 2A charger.

It works fine.

Thomas

Edited by Guest

Guest kerryburn

thanks guys i must admit it has stumped me, can you please point me to where i can buy the HTC Brodit item you mention. having tried not only the 3rd party cigar charger and an HP charger as well where neithor them work, i can only assume the ampage is wrong on both of them??

Kerry