MPx220, TomTom 5.2 nad 3rd party gps receiver...

Guest poulidis

Guest poulidis

Hi everybody. This must be the xxxst time someone asks this w=question, nut I haven't found an answer yet.

I have an MPx220 and TomTom Mobile 5.2 . Few days ago I maaged to run over the gps receiver, so I got a 3rd party gps reeiver to save some money. The receiver works pretty well with mapopolis but when I try tomtom, it says no gps device, although I have paired my phone with my gps receiver. Is there anysolution to this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Guest killerost

Connecting a generic GPS shouldn't be much harder than connecting the tomtom gps.

When I had my old GPS and my Qtek 8010 i just paired it with my phone, selected the "serial port" service. Then I started tomtom, change preferences, show gps status, configure, select other bluetooth gps. After a little while the GPS status should change from "No GPS device" to "No valid GPS signal". If you get "No valid GPS signal" it means that tomtom has found the GPS, but the GPS hasn't found enough satellites. And now you start playing the waiting game.. if you are inside a building you might wait in vain. My old GPS wasn't able to get any signal inside buildings and I tought the whole damn thing was broke, but it did work fine in my car. So try this outside! And be paitient. My old GPS could use as much as 10 minuttes to get a signal. (Yeah it was old! :D) My new tomtom mk2 gps with sirfstar iii chipset is much faster and recives stronger signal, even inside. :)

If things are done totally different on mpx220, then ignore this post. ;)

Edited by killerost

Guest ericvuong

here is what u can do to use tt and a generic gps..

1. get a registry editor,

2. go to \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Bluetooth

3. change IsBthVCOMActive dword data to "2"

4. change IsBthVCOMSetup dword data to "2"

5. pair/re-pair your gps and name it "BT GPS"

6. open up tt, change preferences>Show GPS status>Configure

7. select "other Bluetooth GPS" > Continue.

8. it should be finding a gps satelite...:)

9. hope this work.

10. for me,, i got a question. does anybody know how can u combine 2 maps together?

ERIC

Edited by ericvuong

Guest conan_troutman

you have to tell tomtom in thje options menu that you are using a third party gps reciever then it should work with out all the reg editing

• 1 month later...